Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (Small Batch)

Wait! Here’s one more thing before I take a little 2008 break.

This is an old oatmeal cookie recipe, but I scaled it down and added the metric weights. These were jumbo cookies, so I used jumbo sized raisins.

stack of oatmeal cookies

Small Batch Jumbo Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

3/4 cups all-purpose flour (94 grams)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (2.5 ml)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (2.5 ml)
1/4 teaspoon salt (1.25 ml)
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (142 grams)
6 tablespoons brown sugar (70 grams)
1/4 cup granulated sugar (50 grams)
1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (2.5 ml)
1 1/2 cups oats old fashion oats (120 grams)
1/2 cup jumbo size raisins (80 grams)
1/2 cup toasted walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional) – (80 grams)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).

In a medium bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg white and vanilla.

Stir in the flour mixture. When flour is absorbed, stir in oats, raisins and nuts (if using). Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls (ping pong ball size), spacing 3 inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 11-13 minutes or until edges of cookies are golden. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.

Makes about 14 cookies

Comments

1. Laurelg1 says

I recently used an oatmeal raisin recipe that called for soaking the raisins in the eggs that are called for in the recipe, along with the vanilla. It turned out wonderfully. I am not sure how that would be affected by only an egg white, but I will use this method anytime I do my oatmeal raisin cookies. *The recipe stated to slighly beat the eggs (it called for two) and add the vanilla, and let the raisins soak in the egg mixture for 1 and 1/2 hours. It also called for white chocolate chips to be added. It was fabulous…and my husband and oldest daughter said it is thier new favorite cookie!

2. JEP says

When I saw you listed jumbo raisins, it reminded me of the Chilean black raisins I have been buying lately…they do taste better in the jumbo size!

Hi Laurel,

I can’t remember where I saw it, but I did run across the recipe you are referring to. In this case, there’s so little egg it probably isn’t worth trying. I’ll be interested to hear what you think of this recipe.

JEP, I love those Chilean raisins. They sell them in bulk at Central Market and I think, at Whole Foods. But the raisins I used were Sun Maid brand, which are not only jumbo, but assorted.

4. Janet says

Happy New Year to you and your family! Many thanks for a year full of wonderfully delicious recipes! I am looking forward to what you create this year….best wishes!

You have been such an inspiration over the last couple of months that I have been reading your blog. I hope you don’t mind but I tell everyone about your great site!

6. Sue says

Dear Anna,

Happy New Year!! May the year be filled with health, happiness, and good food. You made an impact on the good food at our house in 2007. I’ll keep reading your blog in 2008.

Either today or tomorrow I’m going to try your Giant Cranberry Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, and I’m hoping to make the Masterpiece White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies too. My daughter and friends will leave for AZ on Thursday, so I want to send along some yummy cookies for their long drive.

My daughter loves the King Arthur Flour Baking Cookbook that you recommended. I hope she studies more than she bakes during this last semester of college. :-)

Thanks for sharing through your blog!

7. Sue says

Ha ha! I just read my comment, and did I ever blow the name of the Giant Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies!!!

Happy New Year Anna! I’ve just gotten around to reading my January Family Circle and there you are as the Grand Prize winner in the Quick & Easy Blue Ribbon Recipes! Congratulations! Your recipe sounds great. I’ve already pulled the page out of the magazine and added it to my “to try” pile

9. Angie says

Hi Anna,

I want to thank you for all of the time and effort you put into this site…I have enjoyed checking in every day and I have found the best recipes to add to my recipe box!
    I dont subscribe to Family Circle…would it be possible for you to post your Grand Prize winning recipe from the magazine…I would love to try it.
    Thanks again and I wish you and your family a happy and healthy New Year!

10. Hélène says

“Bonne année” to you and your family. May this New Year bring you happiness, health and… more cookies!
    These will be my next try, I love oatmeal!
    Hélène

11. Sue says

The Giant Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies were wonderful! I made them for my daughter’s looong car trip back to AZ and they were perfect for that. One of them is like a meal, and they’re not so sweet or rich that you regret eating the whole cookie!

Hope you’re having a nice break!! Thanks for sharing your great recipes!

HI!!! We literally just saw you on Food TV on the Pillsbury Bake Off special! I had the computer up and decided to stop on by! I love to bake cookies and will check back often! :)

Hey Anna!

Just saw you on Food Network! Holy cow! Your recipe was awesome and so creative! CONGRATULATIONS! Hoooking up to your blog cuz I’m always neeeding good cookies for my kiddies!

xoxox

SMJ

Anna, I saw you on the food network too–you RULE! Bring on the new year, new cookies, and new projects! Love the small batch recipes. xoxo

15. Andrea says

Best oatmeal cookies ever !!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the recipe especially the small batch this was perfect for me and my fam thanks