Oatmeal Scotchies with Sunflower Seeds

This cookie is a twist on the famous “oatmeal scotchie” recipe. Adding sunflower seeds was such a great idea!

The cookies were medium thickness, very sturdy, and extremely flavorful. As for the seeds, I had some roasted salted kernels so I used those and did not make any adjustments to the original amount of salt.

oatmeal scotchies

Oatmeal Scotchies with Sunflower Seeds

3/4 cup all purpose flour (92 grams)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (2.5 ml)
1/2 teaspoon salt (2.5 ml)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (114 grams)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (98 g)
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed (98 g)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla (5 ml)
1 1/2 cups oats (126 g)
1/2 cup roasted sunflower seed kernels (60 g) – I used salted
3/4 cup butterscotch chips (126 g)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (180 degrees C).

Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Cream butter and both sugars using high speed of an electric mixer, scraping sides of bowl often. Add egg and vanilla and beat for 30 seconds. Add flour mixture and stir until absorbed, then stir in oats, sunflower seeds and butterscotch chips.

Drop by generously rounded teaspoonfuls (3/4 inch mound) onto ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten tops slightly and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown around edges.

Makes about 3 dozen

Comments

Hi Anna, this looks really interesting with the addition of sunflower seeds. I think I would like the crunch and saltiness of the roasted ones. I’m not a fan of butterscotch chips, though. Do you think chocolate chips would work with the seeds?

Those sound interesting. I’m not into sunflower seeds though; can you make them with other nuts?

Oh, BTW, I make the “Chunky Chocolate Gobs” yesterday and they were fabs! I think I may rename them as “PMS Cookies”! :-)

3. JEP says

I’m another butterscotch chip disliker…but I love sunflower seed kernals so I’m giving chocolate chips a try—thanks!

Anna,

This is so weird. Scott and I stopped at a Toll House cookie shoppe today, just for 6 oatmeal scotchies! They are my all time favorite cookie. I’m curious about how they would taste with the sunflower seeds.

5. Debbi says

What will be the difference with 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter? I am going to make these this afternoon. The sunflower seed idea is AWESOME!! I have some kids here that are allergic to nuts so this is a super alternative for them!

6. Debbi says

I made these this morning and they are super nummy. I didn’t get as much of the sunflower seed flavor as I would have thought. I think that I would prefer pecans but they are awesome for my kids who can’t have nuts yet. I made these with 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter and mine were pretty flat. Very light and crispy though. Yum.

Debbi, thanks for letting me know how the shortening worked. I thought maybe the shortening would make them a bit thicker, but I guess not. I didn’t find the sunflower flavor super strong either, but I liked the idea of using them….something different ;).

I made these cookies with chocolate chips instead of butterstotch and it works. The sunflower seeds are sublte in flavor so they don’t clash with the chocolate and they add a nice crunch.

Hi Lisa,

That’s good to know. I love butterscotch, so it’s hard for me to imagine leaving the scotch out of scotchies, but I do like the idea of adding sunflower seeds. Glad they work with chocolate and add crunch.

maybe you can help me find a recipe…I believe it was a Southern Living dark chocolate mint cookie rolled ’round’ in sugar

easy to make and they turned out terrific, but haven’t been able to find it in a long time

Thanks for the help