Kay’s Lemon Clouds

by on January 23, 2008 · 17 comments

One more recipe for today.

This was posted in the comment section by Kay, who said she received some of these cookies as a holiday gift and fell in love with them. I pasted the recipe below as Kay wrote it, but put “butter” in parenthesis because that’s what I used. I also found that the food processor worked perfectly – just process the butter and sugar until creamy, sift in the flour and cornstarch, then pulse until mixture forms a dough. As for shaping, the dough was pliable, so I just kind of molded the cookies into balls. They spread a tiny bit and the end result where little mounds, which I frosted with Kay’s lemon icing. Thanks for the recipe, Kay!

lemon clouds

Kay’s Lemon Clouds

Yield 4-6 dozen

2 c. margarine (butter)
2/3 c. powdered sugar
2 c. unsifted flour
1-1/3 c. unsifted cornstarch

Lemon Icing
6 tbl. Margarine (butter) — soft
1 box powdered sugar (1 pound)
Lemon juice for consistency
Lemon rind (optional) – didn’t need

Cream margarine (butter) and sugar. Sift in flour and cornstarch. Mix well. Drop by small teaspoonful on un-greased cookie sheet about one inch apart. Bake for 15 minutes at 350. Do not brown. Cool and ice.

To prepare icing, cream margarine and powdered sugar, adding lemon juice for consistency. Lemon rind may be added if desired. This recipe may be baked ahead
and frozen. Best if eaten within 2-3 days after baking.

Note: I used unsalted butter and added ½ teaspoon salt to dough.

Published on January 23, 2008

Midge January 23, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Love, love, love your site, I am a forever fan!
Please can you tell me what you sprinkled on top of the cookies?

Anna January 23, 2008 at 9:25 pm

Hi Midge,

I should have probably mentioned that in the post. Before the cookies set, I sprinkled them with a bit of yellow decorating sugar. I believe I bought it at Williams Sonoma. You can usually find sparkly colored sugars at specialty stores (like WS) or gourmet type stores with good baking sections.

These cookies are so good, btw. I chilled mine for a while and the icing set up firm enough so that the cookies can be stacked.

Midge January 23, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Can’t wait to try them!

Shabby Miss Jenn January 23, 2008 at 9:36 pm

OMG I am totally afraid to try these cuz I might eat the whole batch! LOL

Anj January 23, 2008 at 10:37 pm

Gosh, I love lemon cookies. I would be afraid to have them the house as well as I just might ‘over serve’ myself.

Cakespy January 24, 2008 at 12:37 am

Oooh these remind me of a type of cookie I always used to get at Rocco’s in Greenwich village. Yum!

Patricia Scarpin January 24, 2008 at 5:55 am

Oh, Anna… these are right up my alley, I love lemon!

rebecca January 24, 2008 at 6:49 am

they sound great. but i think i like them even better since they’re called clouds.

Lori January 24, 2008 at 2:52 pm

LOVELY! I’m a lemon lover- this recipe will be tried soon :)

Lori

Vickie January 24, 2008 at 6:32 pm

Those are gorgeous and they have my name all over them, being a lemon nut. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I plan to make these soon…and I’m sure I won’t be able to stop eating them! =)

Janis January 24, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Have you ever tried using the powdered Real Lemon that comes in tiny individual serving packets? They have it at Whole Foods and it is a great addition to this type of cookie (either in the dough or the glaze).

Anna January 24, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Janis, I’ve used that, but not with this recipe. Great idea!

Charlotte February 17, 2008 at 3:35 pm

I just finished making these cookies and unfortunately they didn’t turn out. I followed the recipe exactly, but the cookies spread so much they just crumbled. I then rolled into balls and they spread less, but still crumbled when trying to take them off the cookie sheet.
Do you have any suggestions? We scooped the crumbs into bowls and topped with a bit of the icing and they tasted great, but would love if they actually stayed in the mounds like yours.

Anna February 17, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Hi Charlotte,

I’m sorry the cookies didn’t work out for you.

I will email you and we can trouble-shoot.

Anna February 17, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Well, I guess I won’t because you didn’t include your email.

I’m not sure why they spread. My only thought is maybe you read it as “1/3 cup” cornstarch rather than 1 1/3 cup. Or maybe you used a corn oil spread as opposed to butter or regular margarine? If anyone else has a problem, please let me know. The recipe worked for me, if it doesn’t work for everyone, I’ll take it down.

Charlotte February 17, 2008 at 4:27 pm

Anna….sorry about the email. I’ve included it this time for you in the form.

I double and triple checked everything when they flopped. I only use real butter, no margarine. Maybe chilling the dough would work?

I loved the taste of these and would make them again….. I will see what we come up with and maybe try again tomorrow. I have lemon icing just waiting :-)

Anna February 17, 2008 at 4:48 pm

Hi Charlotte,

I’m really sorry those cookies didn’t work out. I’m glad you liked the flavor, but there’s no point in making something that’s going to fall apart on you. It’s interesting that they both spread AND fell apart. I can see them being too clumpy and lumpy and breaking, but I’m surprised that they spread so much.

Land of Lakes has a similar recipe. Maybe the proportions here would work better?

If you want to take another shot at Kay’s, maybe try making 1/4 of the recipe? It would save butter!

I haven’t tried the Land O Lakes recipe, but I might give it a try myself.