Thin Mint Pie

Austin Girl Scout Cookie sales began today and to kick it off, I decided to post a recipe for a pie using Thin Mints. You’ll probably want to eat your first few cookies straight up, but trust me — after you’ve bought ten boxes, alternatives are good.

sign

This pie is based on Kraft’s Triple Layer Cookie Pie – an easy and very popular recipe. I changed it up a bit to give it a mint theme. You can eat it chilled or you can freeze it, slice it, and serve it partially thawed. It’s easier to cut when partially frozen.

Thin Mint Pie

Triple Layer Thin Mint Pie

1 box Thin Mint cookies (32 cookies)
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups cold milk
2 packages (4-serving size each) Jell-O Chocolate Flavor Instant Pudding
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 tub (12 oz.) Cool Whip Whipped Topping, thawed, divided use

Remove 10 cookies and set aside.

Crush or process remaining cookies, then mix them with the butter. Press firmly onto bottom and up side of 9-inch pie plate.

Pour milk into large bowl. Add both boxes of pudding mix and beat with wire whisk 2 minutes or until well blended. (Mixture will be thick.)

Spoon out 1 1/4 cup of pudding into another bowl and stir in peppermint extract. Pour peppermint pudding mixture over crust. To remaining pudding mix, add in 1 cup of whipped topping. Spread the pudding/whipped topping layer of the mint layer.

Chop remaining cookies and combine them with about 2 ½ cups (doesn’t have to be precise) whipped topping. Spread this mixture over the top. The pie might look kind of messy at this point, so clean up the edges.

Chill for 4 hours or until set

To garnish, place remaining whipped topping in a plastic zipper bag. Snip off a corner of the bag (about ½ inch up from corner) and squeeze whipped topping around sides decoratively.

To make thin zig-zags, pour COLD chocolate syrup into a small zipper bag. Snip a very, very tiny cut off the bottom corner and drizzle away!

Makes 8 servings

Comments

1. JEP says

I am patiently waiting for the 6 boxes of various GS cookies I ordered…one of which is the Thin Mints—yum!

How irresponsible of you!!! I shake my head in your general direction!!!

NO I DON’T WANT YOU TO TAKE THE PIE AWAY! LEAVE THE PIE!!! STEP A-W-A-Y FROM THE PIE!!!

(this just made Girl Scout season even more evil!)

3. Vickie says

What a delicious pie! I love Thin Mints, so I can only imagine how good this is. Thank you for the recipe! =)

Stopping back again to salivate. :)

I just remembered that my husband has an old calendar from the girl scouts that has a recipe printed along with each month using their cookies. I may have to upload those and HOPE that I see some girl scouts around town so I can buy a few boxes. :)

Ali, I can’t believe it. How did I miss your new web site?? It’s gorgeous. So’s the baby ;). Congratulations.

JEP, I hope yours arrive soon. Fuzz and her friend AK stood in front of Sam’s Club last night and sold almost all of their cookies. Hopefully, Rachel (Average Jane Crafter) will post some pictures soon.

Lewis, I know. I know.

Rebecca, loved your meme!

Ali, I hope you get a chance to upload that. I’m sure a lot of people would love to see it. I would.

I think the next thing I’m going to do is use some Girl Scout shortbread in place of Chessmen in Paula Dean’s “Not Yo’ Mama’s Banana Pudding”. I need to wait until someone who likes bananas comes over, though.

6. Kate says

This went over VERY well at my Daisy’s investiture last night. Everyone was raving about it and not a bite was left. Thanks, Anna!

7. lourdes says

I tried this recipe yesterday. It was okay, but not fantastic. I think the pie was not rich enough for me. I will definitely try this recipe again, but I would add more peppermint extract and add melted dark or bittersweet chocolate to the pudding layer. I’ll try making my own whipped cream,too. I think Cool whip is just too light for me.

8. Crystal says

Ohhh lordie. I can’t even begin to describe the relationship I with the chocolate and mint combo. It’s like a relly good love affair, to say the least. As a vegan though, the last thing I was thinking when I saw this picture was, well, that it’s vegan. But after reading the ingredients, oh boy! This can easily be made vegan by using soymilk, non dairy “butter”, and a little think called Soyatoo(a soy based whipped cream, website here:http://www.soyatoo.com/index.php4) Of course you have to make sure your cookies are vegan too. =)
    Thanks for posting, my tummy is going to be in for a real treat, real soon.