Coffee Toffee Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

by on February 15, 2008 · 17 comments

I can’t be the only one trying to use up sugar cones and brickle today, right? Boy, it’s a good thing we’ve got this recipe.

In all honesty, I haven’t bought brickle in years, but I did have 4 sugar cones and a mess of Heath bars, so this old prize winner came in handy. The sponsors of the contest were Blue Bonnet Margarine and Quaker Oats. Cookie Madness is more into butter, and used that instead. Cookie Madness also used chopped toffee in place of brickle, espresso powder in place of instant coffee granules and chopped up Valrhona chocolate in place of chocolate chips. Cookie Madness say Mmmm, Mmmmm, good cookie garble garble garble. Sorry, I turned into Cookie Monster for a second.

At any rate, these are delicious and dare I say, worth buying either brickle? As for the sugar cones, they were delightfully confusing so I’m forward to serving these to friends. The only problem is, the cookies need to be served the first day. My friend Valerie, who made these shortly after they won, said her cookies softened a bit on storage. That aside, she still liked the flavor.

chocolate oatmeal cookies

Coffee Toffee Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

1 tsp. instant coffee granules
1/4 cup boiling water
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter at room temperature
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 package toffee bits (about 8 oz)
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 sugar cones — coarsely crumbled (about 1 cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Dissolve coffee granules or instant espresso in boiling water. Cool to room temperature.

In large bowl cream brown sugar and butter; Add egg and mix until well blended. Stir in coffee and vanilla.

In a medium bowl stir together oats, flour, salt and baking soda. Stir flour mixture into creamed mixture then stir in toffee bits, chocolate chips and sugar cones.

Scoop up generous tablespoons of dough and place 2 inches apart onto 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake one sheet at a time on center rack for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown around edges. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheets then remove gently and transfer to racks to cool completely. (Cookies will firm up as they cool). Store lightly covered.

Recipe says it makes about 5 1/2 dozen (I came up with fewer).

Published on February 15, 2008

Diann (aTxVegn) February 15, 2008 at 2:33 pm

This recipe looks incredible!

Valerie February 15, 2008 at 3:19 pm

glad they worked for you! I don’t know why I had such issues with the cone texture. some of the cones (esp on the edges) stayed crisp. but others got sort of unpleasantly chewy. but I did love the taste.

Meredith February 15, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Oooh, I was just looking at the box of sugar cones in the pantry today wondering what the heck I’m going to do with them!

rebecca February 15, 2008 at 5:35 pm

WOW! when the title of this post popped up on my feed reader, my jaw dropped. they look absolutely delicious– four flavors that i love but never would have thought to put all into one cookie. thank you for sharing!

hee hee. cookie monster. cookie monster spoke at my college graduation ceremony on 2005. ahh, that muppet . . .

Kathy February 15, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Those look great!!
I’ve been wanting to ask this question for awhile, but it didn’t relate to anything you were posting until now …

Where do you find espresso powder? I have looked in just about every grocery store around … within reason :-) … and I cannot find it. I’ve looked online and found several, but I don’t want to buy “the wrong one” and pay s/h on it as well!!

Thanks again, for all your posting, Anna! I look forward every day to seeing what you have written and I like trying as many of the recipes as I have time for.

Kathy

Anna February 15, 2008 at 6:51 pm

I think these cookies won $5,000.

Also, I really love the way chopped Heath Bars and chocolate worked out and would probably make the cookies that way again.

Val, if you get a chance, you should make them again. Mine are still pretty crispy and I’ve had them in a tupperware container for a few hours. I’ll have to check tomorrow ;).

Meredith, are you kidding me? I thought I was the only one trying to get rid of sugar cones. Cool. I hope you like these.

Rebecca, was your school on Sesame Street?

Kathy, a lot of people seem to have problems finding instant espresso, yet I’ve found it at Randall’s, H.E.B. at times. I think I bought my last bottle at Central Market. But don’t worry, you can always use instant coffee granules for these cookies.

The Burning Kitchen February 15, 2008 at 8:18 pm

These look wonderful. Thanks for the recipe!!

Terri

carole February 15, 2008 at 11:07 pm

Can I use more chocolate chips in place of the ice cream cones. I have everything else on hand. It is so cold here that I want to turn on my oven tomorrow.

Valerie February 16, 2008 at 9:30 am

I used margarine. I wonder if they’d have worked better with butter.

Alison February 16, 2008 at 10:19 am

These look amazing, but what is brickle?? And are
sugar cones just ice cream cones?? Had no luck
with the espresso powder here in Ireland either
but used a strong shot of espresso instead when
making your William Shatner muffins today – they
were fabulous!

Anna February 16, 2008 at 10:38 am

Diann, I think sugar cones are actually vegan. Hard to believe. You could probably veganize this one fairly easily.

Carole, sure. You’ll loves the fun factor of the sugar cones, but the cookies will still be good.

Valerie, I imagine the margarine would contribute to the softness.

Alison, it must be difficult finding the UK version of some of these ingredients. Brickle is tiny bits of English toffee. I used chopped up Heath bars, but Skor bars would also work. I have a feeling it’s pretty easy to find English toffee there! As for the sugar cones, they are the triangular ice cream cones. Sugar cones are harder and more cookie-like than their counterpart, the cakey cone. Cakey cones have flat bottoms and wide tops. Do you have those in Ireland? I think I’d have a lot of fun exloring an Irish grocery store.

e February 16, 2008 at 10:48 am

These look super yummy! I have a package of sugar cones in my pantry that will just not disappear, and I always have Bits O’ Brickle on hand cause I’m a toffee freak. Thanks for the recipe, Anna.

rebecca February 16, 2008 at 10:51 am

no (although that’d have been cool!) =)
but the president of the ‘sesame workshop’ graduated from my university

TG February 16, 2008 at 11:22 am

i just so love your writing. xo

cathy February 16, 2008 at 8:37 pm

I have also had issues with finding espresso powder. I can’t find it anywhere?? Not even Trader joes. Help!

carole February 16, 2008 at 11:31 pm
carole February 18, 2008 at 6:28 pm

These are fantastic. I used toasted, chopped pecans in place of the ice cream cones. Still has cruch.