Inside Out Brownie Cookies

by on February 13, 2008 · 14 comments

UPDATE: Tried these. They’re great! They need a lot of time to set, but they’re excellent once they do. Plus, I can’t believe I didn’t recognize the recipe, but these are actually a spin-off of an old Bake-Off winner called “Fudge Bon Bon Cookies“.

I’m cheating today and posting a recipe I haven’t actually tried. Believe me, I will, but we have a Brownie meeting today and I’ve been busy gathering craft items to make Family Fun’s Bee Mine Valentines. We do need a snack, though. And since these are called Inside Out Brownies, and since the girls are Brownies, well….we usually serve healthier snacks, but it is they day before Valentine’s Day.

I found this recipe on a great little collection from Maples Inn. But given all the little trademark signs next to the word Hershey’s, I think it might be from the Hershey’s test kitchen.

Inside Out Brownies

Inside Out Brownie Cookies

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk — (1 can)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts — optional
1 teaspoon vanilla
32 each Hershey’s® chocolate kisses — unwrapped

Chocolate Topping
2 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, toss together flour and nuts and set aside.

In medium saucepan, combine chocolate chips and butter stirring over very low heat until chips are melted and smooth. (Mixture will be stiff.) Add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla to chocolate mixture and mix well. Add chocolate mixture to flour and mix well. Shape 1 tablespoon of dough around each candy kiss, covering it completely. Shape into a ball and place 1 inch apart on un-greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350° for 6 to 8 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cookies will be soft and appear shiny but will become firm as they cool. Remove from cookie sheets. Cool 15 minutes or until completely cooled.

For chocolate topping:
Melt 2 oz of chocolate chips in a small saucepan with 1-teaspoon vegetable oil and stir until smooth. Dip just the top of the treat in the melted chocolate and set on rack to cool and firm chocolate. Enjoy!

Makes 32

Published on February 13, 2008

Anna February 13, 2008 at 1:54 pm

Just made these. They are much too rich for kids! I’m going to give them to my friend next door.

Kristin W February 13, 2008 at 2:59 pm

They do sound decadent! I’m baking tonight for the office for tomorrow. I’m torn between tiny vanilla hearts with pink icing and pink sugar sparkles or chai-spiced snickerdoodles. The hearts would be cute, of course, but the snickerdoodles would be MUCH easier to pull off on a weeknight. Hmm.

Alison February 13, 2008 at 3:57 pm

The bees look lovely! I did paper flowers with
my little girl and her friends, using the lollipop
stick as the stem and the actual lollipop as the centre of the flower.

Jessica February 13, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Nobel Prize-worthy.

Anna February 13, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Kristin, never underestimate snickerdoodles. Just make sure you use a good recipe.

Alison, the bee project went over well. The only challenging thing about it was glueing on the eyes, but using a Q-tip helped solve that problem. The girls seemed to enjoy themselves.

Jessica, this recipe is modeled off an old bake-off winner called fudge bon bon cookies. No wonder! I need to go add that. At any rate, these were delicious once set.

Katie February 13, 2008 at 8:28 pm

oh my goodness!! everything on your blog is absolutely amazing! these look so delicious.

Lisa Ernst February 14, 2008 at 7:43 am

Yum! I am definitely going to try these! I’ll probably find a dark chocolate substitute for the Hershey’s kisses, though.

Kate February 14, 2008 at 8:02 am

Wow, these look good and rich! Too bad I gave up chocolate for Lent!

Stefani February 14, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Well, this is the most perfect recipe to use up the 1/2 bag of kisses I have leftover from Christmas. :) All I could seem to find recipe wise was the peanut butter cookies with the kiss in the middle. They are always good, but not really what I was looking for. I will make these in the next day or two! Late for V-day, but who cares…they are chocolate!!!

Patricia Scarpin February 15, 2008 at 10:21 am

They look delicious, Anna!

lilizen May 24, 2008 at 6:31 am

Bonjour ! J’aime beaucoup votre super site sur les gâteaux, il est très attractif !
Je suis une belle gourmande aussi !
Très intéressée par cette recette, je me demande à quoi s’apparentent en France, ces bonbons que vous appelez Baisers” ?
Merci de me répondre si vous avez le temps,
Lilizen

Anna May 24, 2008 at 6:57 am

Bonjour!

Merci de commenter la Cookie Madness! Je ne parle pas de français, mais j’étais capable de vous traduire le commentaire.

“Kisses” sont de petits bonbons de chocolat de lait faits par Hershey. Ils sont très populaires en Amérique.

Amazon.com leur vend en ligne.

http: // http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw ? Url=search-alias%3Daps*field-keywords=hershey baisers

Amy May 21, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Hi Anna, you can’t always get hershey’s kisses at the supermarkets near where I live. Any suggestions for alternatives?

Anna May 22, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Hi Amy,

I think chunks of just about any type of chocolate would work.