More Big Fat Copy Cats

This afternoon I tested out a recipe mentioned in the comment section two posts back. A few people have said these are similar to the cookies at Levain bakery, but I can’t say since I haven’t been there. These are definitely fat and have a soft insides, but they don’t look particularly like Levain’s. I played around with the oven temps to get more rise out of the cookies. I baked them at 375 for the first 8 minutes to kind of set the shell, then I reduced the heat to 325 for the remaining bake time. Total time for me was about 18 minutes.

I will definitely make these again — perhaps with the Valrhona and European Butter. Still, I won’t be able to compare them to Levains until I go to NYC.

big cookie
Big Fat Cookie Cut

Big Fat Copy Cat Cookies

8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold – cut into chunks
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour (13 ½ oz)
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
12 ounces (2 cups) good quality semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
1 cup nuts (pecans or walnuts)

If using dough right away, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars just until creamy. Don’t overbeat. Add the egg and vanilla and beat just until incorporated.

Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. When thoroughly mixed, add to batter and stir just until blended. Stir in chips and nuts.  Dough should be neither too sticky, nor too dry.

Divide dough into 12 big 4 oz lumps. Bake on ungreased cookies sheets (one sheet at a time).
Bake times:

Put the cookies in a 375 degree oven and set timer for 8 minutes. When timer rings, without opening oven or removing cookies, reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for another 8-10 minutes or until cookies appear set.

Otherwise, you can bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes or until done

Comments

I know that Jessica from the blog, Su good sweets, has test tried some recipes for the Levain bakery cookie. You might check over there.

2. Carol says

Okay, the first CCC post, I looked but did not become obsessed. And was actually happy when someone said the big cookies are not so great. The second CCC post, my mouth started watering and I could just about taste that perfect texture, filled with melting chocolate. But I put it out of my mind, until…

The third post – well, that did it. Must…bake…chocolate chip…cookies…

The photos probably pushed me over the edge. Thanks, Anna. I guess. :-)

3. beverly says

I know you mentioned next time you may try a European butter next time, but what you typically use when you bake?

I think I like your version best (though I haven’t tried it yet). It appears to be kind of a cross between a scone and a CCC — I think the butter and sugar are a little more moderate like a scone, which appeals to me. I’m formulating a dream trip to New York which will include a tour of places that sell well known CCC’s — Levian, Jacques Torres, and Dylan’s Candy Bar, which sells the “Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie.”

Amanda, the recipe above is actually from Jessica’s comment section. She posted about Levain back in 2006.

Carol, LOL. I think the cookies are worth trying, even if you only eat a fraction of one. Surely there’s someone you could make them for ;).

Beverly, our store brand is $1.99 a pound and with all the baking I do, I stick with it. I think our store has their own dairy and the quality is usually very good. BUT, sometimes I do splurge and pay the extra dollar for Land O Lakes. Our store has their own brand of European style butter which is $3.99 a pound. It’s definitely tastier than regular butter *straight* but in baking, it kind of depends on the recipe.

Lisa, after this dough had chilled for a few hours, I baked up another mound. This new giant cookie (from same dough as above) looks way more like Levain’s. I will post it here a little later.

6. Michelle W. in Calif. says

This is great, I’m picking up a lot of tips! I’ll be trying my 3rd or 4th ccc experimental cookie soon. (I think I’m gonna try Alli’s from here, then maybe one of Anna’s) I’ve also read that cold eggs as well as cold butter help make a fat cookie. I used to let my eggs come to room temp, and I was “overcreaming” my butter….no wonder my cookies were flat!!! Does anyone else chill their dough???

7. Therese says

I think I need a 12 step program to stop eating cookies! tee hee!

After these cookies cooled and the kids came home they went crazy for these cookies!! Hubby had one too…same comment!

So…I am keeping this recipe too!!

8. Dana says

This recipe sounds very similar to the David Lebovitz cookies I’ve been making. His is the first choc. chip recipe I’ve ever seen that used cold butter, and they are the BEST ones I’ve ever tried.

Marcy Goldman( pastry chef/author) told me her legendary ccc cookie is another similar cookie to Levain. I’m going to try those today.

10. mariah says

I made these tonight as a special desert for company after our dinner.

Wow. These are GOOD.

Changes I made:

I toasted my walnuts

also I used

1 1/2 cup AP flour (ran out)
    1 1/2 cup white wheat flour

oh, and I used vanilla paste instead of extract

I will make these the same way next time, maybe even experimenting with some whole wheat flour.

Great taste, awesome texture!

11. Karly says

I just made these last night and YUM! They were very good! Never had a Levain cookie, so I can’t compare, but these were awesome!

12. Brett says

An Instant Favorite

These cookies were freaking delicious! Crunchy outsides and perfectly chewy insides. I would definitely recommend this recipe to anyone looking for a scrumptious chocolate chip cookie indulgence. We pretty much did what the recipe said, though we were able to get 15 cookies out of the dough instead of just 12. Thanks for the recipe and we’ll be sure to use it again!

P.S. Be sure to share these guys unless you’re looking for a one-way ticket to obesity!

13. Echo says

out of curiosity, wouldnt butter flavored shortening also help the cookies to maintain their shape and mountainous appearance? being that shortening melts at a slightly higher temperature then does regular butter