Rum Pound Cake with Chocolate Glaze

In honor of Super Bowl Sunday, here’s a boozy cake everyone will love. If made properly, this cake is extremely moist. It also happens to be lower in fat than other pound cakes. Which isn’t to say it will help your diet any because it’s loaded with sugar – but you could do worse.

Since I’m a chocoholic, I like to add chocolate glaze. I tend to make chocolate glazes up as I go along, so I’ve linked to a relatively light one on allrecipes.com

Bundt Cake

1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup Rum (golden) — whiskey works too
3/4 cup buttermilk
***Glaze

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 10 inch bundt pan with flour-added cooking spray.

Sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together softened butter, both sugars and vanilla. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat for 1 minute. Beat in eggs, one by one, beating for 30 seconds after each egg. Continue beating on high for 1 minute. Batter should be light. Stir in rum.

Using a mixing spoon, stir flour mixture and buttermilk into batter alternately, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix thoroughly, keeping batter light and being careful not to overbeat. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Let cool for 10 minutes in pan. Turn onto a sheet of foil to finish cooling.

When cool, drizzle with your favorite chocolate glaze.

**Read the reviews before making allrecipes glaze. Needs an additional tablespoon of butter and more milk.

Comments

1. T. Martin says

Anna,

I’m curious, what is the purpose of the cornstarch in this recipe? Mainly I thick of cornstarch as a thickener for gravies/sauces so I’m never sure what purpose it serves in baked goods. I have seen it called for once before in a cookie recipe I tried awhile back.

Ack. I knew someone would ask me that ;).

In cookies, cornstarch seems to make them flakier and a little bit crumblier. When I put it in this cake, it was kind of an experiment — something that I thought might help the texture. I am not sure it was the cornstarch tahat did it, but I liked the texture of this cake. It’s very, very moist without a lot of added fat.

3. Jen says

I’ve been itching to use my under utilized bundt pan recently. I am so making this tonight. Thanks!

Rum cake sounds good.
    Hey…what does the cornstarch do in this recipe?

Just kidding.

Good luck to you, as well. I’m afraid I’m fighting a losing battle.

Jen, I hope you like it. I think you might have made this one already, but with whiskey.

Emiline, you’re in the top ten, so I don’t know why you think you don’t have a chance.

6. Jackie says

Not related to the cake but I was wondering if you have tried the new Baker’s Edge Pan that I have been reading about everywhere? I have ordered one but they are so popular that it is on backorder. My daughter Emma urged me to get one as she said that her favorite part of the brownie is the edge and with this pan all you get are edges. It looks pretty cool. http://www.bakersedge.com I have read on other blogs that bloggers have been sent samples so I was wondering if you’d been sent a sample and had had a chance to try it out?

Looks yummy, but I generally find that I don’t care for much of a liquor taste in baked goods. How pronounced is the rum flavor?

8. Lisette says

Sounds delicious–hope I can get around to making this one!

Cornstarch is very commonly combined with flour in German pound/bundt cake recipes and is supposed to yield a finer crumb. (However not all bakers in the German forums are convinced about it.)