Desserts Made With Coke

by on March 24, 2008 · 23 comments

I’m feeling kind of tapped out in the cookie department today. I want to try a new recipe for Passover Chocolate Chip Cookies made with matzoh meal and potato starch, but I don’t have any of those ingredients on hand and don’t feel like spending the $$$.

In the meantime, if anyone has any interesting dessert cookie recipes involving Coke, let me know. I’m trying to use some up and don’t want to have to make the usual, overly-sweet, Cola Cake. If I can’t find a recipe I’m going to have to just buy a pack of Mento’s and let the kids make a fountain.

Published on March 24, 2008

robyn March 24, 2008 at 2:19 pm

No cookies, but I have a surprisingly tasty briskit recipe that uses Coke. . .

robyn March 24, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Uggghhhh. “Brisket.” I’m typing impaired.

Angie March 24, 2008 at 2:20 pm

Did anyone watch the Recipe showdown cookie show on Food Network last evening? Camilla won for her spice cookies ( which I am baking as we speak) and her Oxaca Fudge bars did well too.( I wil bake those tomorrow) Both her and Bob ( from Radical Bob’ chocolate chip cookie) were the finalists. I almost howled with laughter when the 1 tasting judge said ” I think they are a little too sweet” about Bob’s chocolate chp cookie…hey, we all thought so too! I thought my cookie came out nicer and thicker than his did on the show. I’ll let you know how the spice cookies come out…I actually had rose water for the recipe in my pantry ( I cant remeber what recipe I bought it for but I still had it and it still smeleed good) Anna, sorry I have no coca cola recipes,I have never made the cake, it seemed too sweet for me. I love baking and cookies but I dont like when things are achingly sweet, go figure!

Anna March 24, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Thanks! I think I saw that one.

I have found quite a few decent sounding non-sweets, but I’m hoping to find a cookie or brownie. But thanks anyway. I think what I’m looking for doesn’t exist.

chris March 24, 2008 at 2:38 pm
laura March 24, 2008 at 2:44 pm

I say buy the Mentos and have some fun..or buy some vanilla ice cream and have floats. Not sure how it would taste, but maybe you could try the Pioneer Woman’s apple dumplings–they call for Mountain Dew, but maybe Coke would give them a nice caramel-y flavor. Worth a try… http://thepioneerwomancooks.com/2008/02/apple_dumplings.html

Anna March 24, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Hi Angie,

Yes, I watched it. As I mentioned in an earlier comment, Rob seemed like a nice guy and I’m glad he did well. I didn’t like how sweet the cookies were, but that was just my opinion and my cookies must have *somehow* differed from Rob’s. Someday I will figure it out. Then again, I am sure people are still trying to figure out how I won a contest with waffle sticks. It goes to show you never can tell ;).

I wasn’t very surprised that Camilla won.

Jennie March 24, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Thought I’d do a little research for you and came across the following:

Problem is they call for buttermilk, something I don’t always have around. You could, of course, always sour your own milk.

And by the way, as a fairly long-term, till now, anonymos reader, I LOVE your site!!

Jennie March 24, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Make that “anonymous” reader – sorry!

Anna March 24, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Laura, thanks! Apple dumplings are good, but hard to share. I need something I can cut up and give away. I’ll probably end up buying Mentos.

Anna March 24, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Chris, thanks! Some of those links are interesting. The Date Loaf sounds a bit different, but I’d have to go buy dates.

Given the fact that I have mini marshmallows on hand, I should probably just go with the brownies. One reviewer said they tasted much better on Day 2, so I could make them today and hold off on reviewing until tomorrow. That will be difficult, but I think I can do it.

Sue March 24, 2008 at 3:10 pm

My vote would be to buy the Mentos. That’s so much fun to do, and healthier than consuming the Coke!

Jen March 24, 2008 at 3:37 pm

It’s been a long Monday. . I say just make a big pitcher of Rum and Coke.

Todd March 24, 2008 at 4:20 pm

I think the Mentos thing only works with Diet Coke. At least that’s what I recall from Mythbusters.

Kristin W March 24, 2008 at 4:21 pm

The spice cookies are TO DIE FOR. Very spicy, which is the way I like ‘em. I will definitely add them to the permanent repertoire. Camilla seemed like a sweetheart, too.

I also made the chocolate chunk cookies with grappa-soaked raisins. I wasn’t particularly blown away — for what you get, you wind up pouring a whole lot of grappa down the drain. But people at work seemed to love them, so what do I know?

Anna March 24, 2008 at 4:33 pm

Sue, now that I recall, I think Todd’s right. The trick only works with Diet Coke. I completely forgot.

Jen, I’m trying not to drink today. Maybe that’s why I’m in a bad mood ;).

Kristin, the grappa soaked raisin lady seemed really nice. I liked her, but I don’t like the raisin chocolate combo very much. If she’d used cherries, I would have made the cookies already no matter what the judges said!
I was really hoping Amber would win this category. Something must have been wrong when she made the cookies because the judges just didn’t seem crazy about them and commented that there weren’t enough chocolate chunks.

Adella March 24, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Here’s a suggestion: instead of using regular USA-style Coke, try Mexican Coca-Cola which is still made with cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. It is much more flavorful and has additional caffeine.

You can buy it in grocery stores that specialize in Mexican imports.

This is the same recipe that Coke used before they switched over to using corn syrup a few decades back.

Anna March 24, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Adella, thanks for the tip.

I ended up making the brownies and will post a picture in a few hours. They need time to set.

I’m not much of a regular coke drinker but I do love Diet Coke. My favorite is the new Coke Zero which tastes like old coke (in my opinion).

Amanda March 24, 2008 at 4:51 pm

It’s not cookies but looks interesting and it uses coca-cola

Randi March 24, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Speaking of matza, have you made the caramel matza buttercrunch from Marcy Goldman?

Judy March 24, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Anna – check my blog for a recent post: rocky road squares. they don’t sound special, but they are. You’ll need a devils food cake mix, 2 blocks of cream cheese, 1 cup of coke, 1 cup of toasted pecans, 10.5 oz. mini marshmallows, and a cup of chocolate chips; you should have everything else. the recipe comes from vikingrange.com and it’s hands down the best for rocky road squares.
And Camilla rocked on Food Network!

Anna March 24, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Amanda, thanks for the link. Now that is one interesting recipe. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Randi, Food & Wine has a Matzoh candy I’ve been wanting to try — not sure if it’s Marcy’s. I think it’s like cracker candy but with matzoh instead.

Judy, I am going to copy that cake recipe down because it sounds like something our family would love. Incidentally, the Viking ads are my favorite. I love looking at those fabulous kitchens.

Randi March 25, 2008 at 6:09 am

I don’t get food and wine mag, but David Lebovitz has a post about the buttercrunch.