Ginger-Toffee Cookies

Saturday is almost over and I’m really looking forward to watching a movie. It’s been a long day.

Fuzz had two friends over. One was a scheduled play date and the other girl just showed up. It’s a special thing when 3 girls play nicely together, but that didn’t happen today and 2 girls played upstairs, while the third sat at the kitchen table and did a craft while I baked batch after batch of chocolate chip cookies. I hate it when I get on chocolate chip cookie baking jags. There are so many other recipes, but sometimes I feel compelled to perfect chocolate chip cookie all the while knowing that I’m wasting time trying to re-invent the wheel. At least I spent some quality time with Fuzz’s friend. And I do like chocolate chip cookies.

But here’s the recipe I should have made. It was sent to me last year by a Cookie Madness reader named Laurel. And Laurel, if you are reading this, I promise I will make these this week! They sound really different. Ginger and toffee bits? Laurel said this recipe was from Taste of Home.

Ginger-Toffee Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 large egg
3 tablespoons molasses (not blackstrap)
1/2 cup toffee bits (Bit’s ‘o Brickle or Skor bits)
1/4 cup minced crystallized ginger
1 cup turbinado sugar (raw sugar)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 2 large baking sheets or line with parchment.

Mix first 6 ingredients in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter
and sugar in large bowl until well blended, about 1 minute.

Add egg and molasses; beat until well blended (do not over beat). Add dry
ingredients and beat on low speed just until blended.

Mix in toffee and crystallized ginger. Chill dough 1 hour.

Place turbinado sugar in shallow bowl. Using hands, shape dough into 24
balls, each about 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Roll each dough ball in
turbinado sugar, coating completely.

Place 12 balls on each prepared sheet, spacing evenly apart. Bake cookies 8
minutes. Reverse cookie sheets and continue baking until cracked on top but
still soft to touch, about 8 minutes longer. Cool cookies on sheets 5
minutes.

Using metal spatula, transfer cookies to racks and cool completely. (Can be
made 2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)

Makes 24

Comments

1. Michelle W. in Calif. says

Anna, I’m STILL on a chocolate chip cookie baking jag! Hoping to try those Rob’s Radical ones soon (as soon as I get the baking sugar)!

Well, that makes me feel better :). At least I’m not alone.

I would like to perfect Rob’s. In fact, I had the food processor out and was grinding up sugar and melting butter. I just wish I could get that texture without that sweetness.

I felt pretty creative today when I made a chocolate chip cookie recipe and added Whopper’s Robin Eggs (broken up with a rolling pin). That darn Easter bunny can’t seem to remember that the boys in this house don’t like the robin eggs. BUT for some reason they love the cookies I made with them. (They didn’t even know that was what the colored bits in the cookies were until I told them.

Anna, do you ever just feel like “uuggh, I think I ate too many cookies?”

By the way, I looked at Egg Beaters at the store today and it says right on the list of ingredients onion powder and spices and they weren’t the Southwestern ones. Weird! And the ones you buy don’t say that, huh? I looked at another brand just like Egg Beaters (Heidi’s I think) and they also said the same thing on the ingredients list. Hmmm.

Katrina, I’ve had that “Ugh I ate too many cookies” feeling all day.

I just double checked the Egg Beaters and still couldn’t find onion powder on the ingredients. Maybe it’s not in the new “touch of yolk” formulation. They have xantham gum, citric acid and something called sodium hexametaphosphate which has too many syllables and sounds terrifying. Then again, a lot of things sound worse than they actually are if you say them by their scientific or chemical name. On the other hand, I feel uneasy about it and looking it up on Google didn’t make me feel any better.

5. Sheri says

Just want to pop in a say, a play date girl or boy or combo in threes rarely ever works out or ends well. Three is a crowd more often then not.
    Glad you had a helper though.

6. Carol A, says

Chocolate chip cookies! There is no such thing as too many, is there?

Anna, I appreciate your continuing quest, because I really love the first version of the Copy Cats you created. In fact, I got home yesterday and just HAD to make a batch. It’s nice that it’s a small batch so at least I know there will be a limit to how many I eat. Not to mention I can count on my husband to help.

That version is just enough different from the way I had always made them to feel “new” to me, and I really, really, really love them. I made a double batch a week or so ago to share with a group of friends, and mixed in some peanut butter chips along with the chocolate chips. Yum, yum!

So you go ahead and keep building a better mousetrap. You efforts are not in vain.

7. Erin Mylroie says

Anna:
    I just went through the same chocolate chip cookie marathon myself yesterday afternoon. I was making them for a party, so I used the mini chocolate chips and made cookies about an inch in diameter. I also divided the dough in half before I finished adding the flour, and added cocoa powder to half and chopped white chocolate-anything to break up the monotony of forming 200 miniature chocolate chip cookies.
    Someone always wants chocolate chip cookies around here! (Half the time it’s me.) Thanks for all the great recipes. I can’t wait to try the one you have posted today.

Though I love ginger things, sometimes I don’t care for things that have a lot of crystallized ginger in them. I’m assuming the toffee bits take some of the bite away from the CG?

I bake chocolate chip cookies (mini batches) about three times a week. Can’t get enough of them. I saw a statistic that 50% of all cookies baked in American homes are chocolate chip. I believe it!

10. judi0044 says

OMG – had to comment. I use eggbeaters ‘original’ to cook with on occasion -primarily quick breakfast for hubby. Mine are not currently the ‘seasoned’ ones either and … I just noticed the ingredients say onion powder too. I always assumed they were ‘plain’. Who would have thought?

Sheri, I love it when people “pop in”. Thanks for the comment. And yes, three is a crowd.

Cathy (Noble Pig), on the topic of “three’s a crowd” I have no idea what it’s like with boys…just girls….and girls = tears. I guess with boys it’s lots of beating on each other, huh?

Amy, I am sure Michal Pollan is really gung ho for sodium hexametaphosphate.

Carol, I am really happy to hear you liked that version. As I mentioned, it was adapted from an old book called Cookies by the Dozen.

Katrina, I’ve been looking at the website. One thing I couldn’t find on it was the ingredient list. They have all the nutritional values, but didn’t list the ingredients. I love that they have recipes, though!

Erin, all those tiny cookies must have looked great on the party tray. I’m sure your family appreciated it.

Recipegirl, I had the same thought. The toffee bits must had a bit of chewiness but keep the ginger from being overpowering.

Lisa, maybe I’ll just change the blog to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Madness!”. I’m halfway there. LOL.

Judi, I think it’s funny how everyone is running to check the ingredient labels. I’m going to check the label on the “Original” flavor next time I go to the store.

Mmmm. I love ginger. I made a new pear and ginger bran muffin from Farmgirl Fare and it was just great. Healthy but delicious, especially with the australian crystallized ginger I picked up at penzeys last time I was there! I also had a wonderful ginger chocolate cake from dorie greenspans latest book.

I thought I’d never find the perfect chocolate chip cookie, but I think the doubletree cookies from bakingbites comes close.

13. Valerie says

thanks to anna and laurel for this recipe. it is great, though I must admit to making a few significant changes.

I didn’t have regular dark brown sugar. I could have used light brown but decided to use my dark brown muscovado I had left from bobby flay’s cookies. also, I didn’t have enough allspice so instead of using 1 tsp allspice I used 1/4 tsp and 1/2 tsp of cloves. oh, and I didn’t have crystallized ginger so I skipped it and upped the toffee to 3/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup. used a scant tsp of salt and salted butter.

they are great cookies. I think making the recipe as written (using only a half cup of toffee and keeping the crystallized ginger) would have prevented any noticeable toffee flavor. I am glad I upped the toffee and skipped the crystallized ginger… even this way the toffee is JUST noticeable. I love the texture. very crisp and chewy. the turbinado is very nice with them… nice texture.