Strawberry Puff Pastry Dessert

by on March 21, 2008 · 7 comments

Other than Coca Cola Ham, I haven’t figured out my Easter Menu. And really, I’m more excited about making today’s cookies — Camilla’s Oaxacan Cashew Fudge Crumb Bars, from Food TV. I’ll post a picture shortly.

But back to Easter, here’s a link I wanted to share to another light and fruity recipe which would be perfect for the holiday. This is something I made up a long time ago. Taste of Home published it a few years back and people seem to like it.  The (non-chocolate) malted milk powder mixed with the strawberry flavor is pretty interesting.  It’s fun seeing if people can detect it.

Strawberry Puff Pastry Dessert

Published on March 21, 2008

RecipeGirl March 21, 2008 at 8:16 am

Funny- my post today includes malt powder too!

If I didn’t already have a dessert selected for this afternoon, I’d make your suggestion. I love malted milk powder! I have planned a strawberry chocolate chip bread pudding though. I guess that sounds pretty good too!!

HeartofGlass21 March 21, 2008 at 8:25 am

I noticed that there was a small batch baking contest at Taste of Home–are you entering any of your great recipes from your blog for that?

Jen March 21, 2008 at 8:40 am

Hmmm. . .now I’m wondering if I should make that instead of the Blueberry Cheesecake I was going to make for Easter.

Amy March 21, 2008 at 9:14 am

how about the Coca-Cola ham recipe? we have a Pepsi pot roast we love, so I bet the ham would be good.

Anna March 21, 2008 at 9:58 am

RP, the strawberry chocolate chip bread pudding sounds very interesting. Also, I hope you try malt powder with strawberries. It’s an interesting flavor combination.

Jen, blueberry cheesecake sounds great. You should stick with that.

Amy, I am definitely making Coca Cola ham. I’m trying to decide between Nigella’s boiled ham or Southern Living’s baked Coca Cola Ham which contains Bourbon.

1 (6- to 7-lb.) fully cooked, bone-in ham
30 to 32 whole cloves
1 pound dark brown sugar
1 cup spicy brown mustard
1 cup Coke
1/2 cup bourbon or apple juice

Remove skin, trim fat to 1/4-inch thickness. Make 1/4-inch-deep cuts in a diamond pattern, and insert cloves at 1-inch intervals. Place ham in an aluminum foil-lined 13- x 9-inch pan.

Stir together brown sugar and next 3 ingredients until smooth. Pour mixture evenly over ham.

Bake at 350° on lower oven rack for 2 hours and 30 minutes (or until thermometer registers 160 degrees F), basting with pan juices every 20 minutes. Remove ham, and let stand 15 minutes before serving.

Debbi March 21, 2008 at 11:24 am

Those cookies sound delicious. I had to google Oaxacan though, I thought it was an exotic ingredient or something. :-) You’ll have to let me know if you are able to taste the espresso powder, if not I’ll probably make them. We don’t like things with a coffee taste though.

Jen March 21, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Go with the ham recipe with bourbon.