Black Pepper Bundt Cake

by on April 21, 2008 · 12 comments

Pepper Pound Cake

I’ll try anything once. Scratch that. So not true.

But pepper in pound cake? Sure! It seemed like a fun combination. Plus, I’d read in a book that this cake was first prize winner at the West Texas State Fair in Abilene. According to Taste of Home, this recipe was created by a reader who was trying to recreate a recipe from the early 1900’s. My first thought was that if they put black pepper in cakes in the 1900’s, what ended that trend? The arrival of a new and better spice? Mace? And second, did they have lemon extract back then?

At any rate, I had to try this cake.

Because the recipe was so unusual, I resisted the urge to make changes and made it as written. Since it did not call for salt, but contained “butter” as opposed to “unsalted butter” I used regular salted butter and did not add salt to the recipe. Even with the salted butter, the cake could have used a dash of salt. But other than that, it was delicious. The pepper gave it a lot of heat and worked well the mild not-really-lemon flavor of the lemon extract.

Black Pepper Pound Cake

Black Pepper Pound Cake

8 ounces (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
3 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
2 teaspoons lemon extract
6 large eggs, room temperature
3 cups all purpose flour or about 3 1/4 cups White Lily (13.5 oz)
1 cup heavy whipping cream, at room temperature
Powdered Sugar for Dusing

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 12 cup Bundt pan with flour-added cooking spray.

Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl – a stand mixer works well. Keep beating until very creamy (about 3 minutes), then add pepper, lemon extract. Add eggs, one at a time, beating very well after each addition. Using lowest spped of mixer or by hand, Add flour alternately with cream; mix well.

Pour into the pan and bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.

Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired. Yield: 16 servings.

Published on April 21, 2008

VeggieGirl April 21, 2008 at 8:30 am

Now THAT’S an intriguing recipe – I’d be afraid to bake with pepper, haha.

Da BeesKnees April 21, 2008 at 8:37 am

Okay….. I’m intrigued. I think I will try this recipe just for the experience.

Thanks for posting this. I like to try new flavor combinations and profiles.

Sarah April 21, 2008 at 8:49 am

That is such as strange flavor combination…sweet and savory? It looks interesting though…I might have to try it!

Jackie April 21, 2008 at 10:25 am

Anna, did you deliberately leave out the lemon extract in your recipe? The recipe sounds interesting. I wish it was possible to sample a slice before investing the time and money into making it only to have the family say they hate it.

Anna April 21, 2008 at 11:03 am

Jackie, no. I followed the recipe as written. Thanks for catching that.

Sarah, it’s not savory at all. What it tastes like is a butter pound cake with ah hint of lemon and heat from the pepper.

Give it a try! If you are afraid of the flavor combination, you might want to try halving the recipe and baking it in a loaf pan. That way, if you don’t like it, it won’t go to waste. Then again, I really think you will like it and if you don’t, your neighbors or co-workers probably will. I’ll have to see what Todd’s co-workers thought.

Robin April 21, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Very interesting recipe, it looks delicious though. I am like you, sometimes I’ll try anything once and usually with a better outcome than I expect!

Clumbsy Cookie April 21, 2008 at 2:03 pm

I love to use black pepper in sweet things. It goes really well with pineapple, but my favourite combination is with strawberry! Try making a simple syrup with freshly crushed black pepper and serve it cold with strawberries! Hummmmmmm!
Back in the days people didn’t have such a division on sweet and savory things and were a bit more open minded when using ingredients. They were not primarily assossiated with anything, they were just ingredients…
Rita

RecipeGirl April 21, 2008 at 6:20 pm

That does sound really interesting. I’ve used cayenne in cookies, but black pepper in a cake? Fun to test out, that’s for sure!

Carrie April 21, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Oooo, that sounds intriquing (sp?) i think I might have to try that! Nice addition Anna!

Carrie

Anna April 21, 2008 at 9:38 pm

For those of you who are worried about the flavor, I have good news. Todd took the cake to work today and said people really loved it. So give it a try!

Stephanie April 22, 2008 at 7:51 am

You’re brave for trying this cake! ;-) My German grandmother used to make Pfeffernusse cookies.

I wondered if anyone else has had trouble finding the peanut butter cookie dough for the million dollar cookies? I’ve been unable to find it…only chocolate chip around here. I mentioned it to a friend and she said it is hard to find for her as well. It’s strange…. ?

Anna April 22, 2008 at 7:58 am

Stephanie, I wasn’t that brave. The recipe won a state fair and had been published in a couple of cookbooks so I new it couldn’t be that bad.

A few people on Cooking Contest Central said they couldn’t find the peanut butter dough either. Maybe there was a big run on it after the contest? I’m not sure.