Black Pepper Bundt Cake

Pepper Pound Cake

I’ll try anything once. Scratch that. So not true.

But pepper in pound cake? Sure! It seemed like a fun combination. Plus, I’d read in a book that this cake was first prize winner at the West Texas State Fair in Abilene. According to Taste of Home, this recipe was created by a reader who was trying to recreate a recipe from the early 1900’s. My first thought was that if they put black pepper in cakes in the 1900’s, what ended that trend? The arrival of a new and better spice? Mace? And second, did they have lemon extract back then?

At any rate, I had to try this cake.

Because the recipe was so unusual, I resisted the urge to make changes and made it as written. Since it did not call for salt, but contained “butter” as opposed to “unsalted butter” I used regular salted butter and did not add salt to the recipe. Even with the salted butter, the cake could have used a dash of salt. But other than that, it was delicious. The pepper gave it a lot of heat and worked well the mild not-really-lemon flavor of the lemon extract.

Black Pepper Pound Cake

Black Pepper Pound Cake

8 ounces (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
3 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
2 teaspoons lemon extract
6 large eggs, room temperature
3 cups all purpose flour or about 3 1/4 cups White Lily (13.5 oz)
1 cup heavy whipping cream, at room temperature
Powdered Sugar for Dusing

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 12 cup Bundt pan with flour-added cooking spray.

Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl – a stand mixer works well. Keep beating until very creamy (about 3 minutes), then add pepper, lemon extract. Add eggs, one at a time, beating very well after each addition. Using lowest spped of mixer or by hand, Add flour alternately with cream; mix well.

Pour into the pan and bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.

Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired. Yield: 16 servings.

Comments

1. Da BeesKnees says

Okay….. I’m intrigued. I think I will try this recipe just for the experience.

Thanks for posting this. I like to try new flavor combinations and profiles.

That is such as strange flavor combination…sweet and savory? It looks interesting though…I might have to try it!

3. Jackie says

Anna, did you deliberately leave out the lemon extract in your recipe? The recipe sounds interesting. I wish it was possible to sample a slice before investing the time and money into making it only to have the family say they hate it.

Jackie, no. I followed the recipe as written. Thanks for catching that.

Sarah, it’s not savory at all. What it tastes like is a butter pound cake with ah hint of lemon and heat from the pepper.

Give it a try! If you are afraid of the flavor combination, you might want to try halving the recipe and baking it in a loaf pan. That way, if you don’t like it, it won’t go to waste. Then again, I really think you will like it and if you don’t, your neighbors or co-workers probably will. I’ll have to see what Todd’s co-workers thought.

Very interesting recipe, it looks delicious though. I am like you, sometimes I’ll try anything once and usually with a better outcome than I expect!

I love to use black pepper in sweet things. It goes really well with pineapple, but my favourite combination is with strawberry! Try making a simple syrup with freshly crushed black pepper and serve it cold with strawberries! Hummmmmmm!
    Back in the days people didn’t have such a division on sweet and savory things and were a bit more open minded when using ingredients. They were not primarily assossiated with anything, they were just ingredients…
    Rita

That does sound really interesting. I’ve used cayenne in cookies, but black pepper in a cake? Fun to test out, that’s for sure!

8. Carrie says

Oooo, that sounds intriquing (sp?) i think I might have to try that! Nice addition Anna!

Carrie

For those of you who are worried about the flavor, I have good news. Todd took the cake to work today and said people really loved it. So give it a try!

You’re brave for trying this cake! ;-) My German grandmother used to make Pfeffernusse cookies.

I wondered if anyone else has had trouble finding the peanut butter cookie dough for the million dollar cookies? I’ve been unable to find it…only chocolate chip around here. I mentioned it to a friend and she said it is hard to find for her as well. It’s strange…. ?

Stephanie, I wasn’t that brave. The recipe won a state fair and had been published in a couple of cookbooks so I new it couldn’t be that bad.

A few people on Cooking Contest Central said they couldn’t find the peanut butter dough either. Maybe there was a big run on it after the contest? I’m not sure.