Brownies with Black Pepper

by on April 22, 2008 · 8 comments

This is not today’s actual cookie, but it would have been if I’d had some vodka in the house. I’m putting it on the list of things to try — not exactly for bake-sale. With the black pepper, it’s a “try before you buy” type recipe. Then again, the black pepper pound cake was so successful, I have a feeling these will be too.

I do not know the original source of this recipe, but my guess is it’s from the people who make Kahlua.

Black Russian Brownies

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate (114 grams)
8 ounces butter (230 grams)
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (3.75 ml)
4 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups Sugar (298 grams)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (7.5 ml)
1/3 cup Kahlua (80 ml)
2 tablespoons Vodka (30 ml)
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour (170 grams)
1/2 teaspoon salt (2.5 ml)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder (1.25 ml)
About 1 cup chopped, toasted walnuts (60 grams) —
Powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Line a 13×9 inch metal pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper.

Combine chocolate, butter and pepper in a small saucepan and melt over low heat. Remove from heat.

Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in together ina large bowl; Stir in cooled chocolate mixture, Kahlua and vodka.

Stir together flour, salt and baking powder; add to chocolate mixture and stir until blended. Add nuts.

Spread in prepared pan and bake just until a toothpick inserted in conter comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Do not over-bake. Cool in pan on wire rack. Grasp foil, lift from pan, cut into bars.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. Makes about 30 brownies.

Published on April 22, 2008

Janet April 22, 2008 at 10:47 am

Hello! Do you think this is a good candidate for using the Baker’s Edge pan? It looks very good and thank you for the recipe!!

Sister Diane April 22, 2008 at 11:02 am

Mmmmmmmmmm . . . Love chocolate and black pepper together!

VeggieGirl April 22, 2008 at 11:02 am

Yet another extremely intriguing recipe!!

Celine April 22, 2008 at 12:17 pm

there’s alcohol in there? now I just have no choice but to give it a try!

Lara April 22, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Mmm – I bet this is delicious. I have a baker friend who makes what she calls “Santa Fe Brownies”. I have no clue what is in them (cayenne pepper, maybe?) but they are divine.

Sue April 22, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Hi Anna!
Have you have you ever made brownies with Bailey’s Irish Cream?
BTW, these sound interesting!

Jennifer April 23, 2008 at 10:52 am

So, how did they turn out?
I’m planning on making the lemon pepper pound cake this weekend, just need to get some lemon extract.

Anna April 23, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Hi Janet,

I don’t have a Baker’s Edge Pan. Edges aren’t really my thing.

And to everyone else, I’m glad you all think this recipe sounds interesting. I do, but I haven’t had time to go to the vodka store! When I make these, I’m going to make them right.

Lara, I have a recipe for brownies made with ground ancho. Maybe those are similar to the Santa Fe. I think I might have another Santa Fe brownie recipe with pine nuts, but I have to go look around for it.

Sue, I think I have made Bailey’s Brownies, but it’s been a while.

Jennifer, I think you will really like that cake.