Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Vegan Breakfast Cookies

Things got pretty busy this afternoon, but I crammed a lot of baking in this morning so there is another cookie for today. This was experimental, but I think I achieved what I was trying to do in one shot because even though the cookies taste healthy, the people who tried them liked them and said they were good and worth posting.

I put the recipe into Mastercook and the nutrition stats aren’t bad. The cookies get about 1/3 of their calories from fat and have a decent amount of fiber for 1 cookie.

Vegan breakfast cookie

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies

2 1/2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
1 cup evaporated cane juice crystals (granulated sugar okay)
1 cup rolled oats
2 cups white whole wheat flour (spoon and sweep – 9 oz)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 scant teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup water
2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips or about 4 oz good chocolate, cut into chunks
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together ground flax seeds and water and let stand while mixing other ingredients.

In food processor, process cane juice crystals and oats until mixture is fine. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and pulse to mix.

To bowl with flax mixture, add the oil, maple syrup, vanilla and water. Mix until well blended, then add flour mixture and stir together to make a thick dough; try not to over-handle it. Add chocolate chips and nuts.

Using about ¼ cup measure, scoop up dough and shape into a balls. Press the balls into large rounds 2 inches wide by about 3/4 inch tall. Place about 2 1/2 inches apart on cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Cookies should look set, but should appear a bit soft and underbaked. Let them sit on the cookie sheet for 5 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Makes 16 big cookies

Without Nuts

211 Calories; 8g Fat (31.6% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 269mg Sodium.

With Nuts

224 Calories; 9g Fat (34.6% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 269mg Sodium.

Comments

1. Jilly says

Anna, your picture in the AAS was great!!! I feel like I consider you a friend and was so excited to see you. Like I have a famous friend!!! Like a previous post, I check your site several times a day….even though I’ve sworn off sugar (day 1 LOL!) I may have to find a fruits and vegetable blog! You’re the BEST. another Jilly (Salado, TX)

Jilly, thanks so much for the compliment!

For those of you not in Austin, I was in the paper today. Here’s a link to the on-line article.

There’s also an article about Denise, who is representing Austin at the next Bake-Off with her cashew chicken pizza.

Good luck to Denise, Val, Tracy and all the other people headed for Dallas. It’s a fun time!

Sandra Lee is hosting, so it should be a double fun time.

These were soooooooo good. Seriously, so good I might even think of making some for myself (and you know me and my non-baking self – that means A LOT.) So yummy.

Thanks for posting that link! We don’t get the hard copy of the paper, so I hadn’t seen it yet. So cool!

These look great, Anna! Oatmeal chocolate chip is my alltime fave cookie so I’ll definitely be making these soon. How did you like the flaxseed eggs?

Nice story and picture in the paper yesterday!

YUM! Cookies for breakfast sounds like fun…but sadly, I’m somewhat cookied out at the moment…I have to bake 60 different cookie recipes over the next 20 days (it’s for a cookbook I’m putting together for work)! :)

6. Kid-Kat says

Is it really necessary to ground the oats and the sugar?
    I can’t wait to try them!

Hmmmmmmm. I did, and got good results. However, this was the first of an experiment. I think if you used the Quick Cooking (as opposed to Old Fashioned or Instant) you might be able to get away with not grinding. The cookies might be a little more coarse, but that might not be a bad thing.

8. Aileen Cawley says

Having a son with egg and nut allergies, I am always on the lookout for good vegan recipes. These cookies are delicious! My picky boy gobbles them up. I took them for a school party today and had five other moms ask me for your recipe. Thanks for a new staple for my boy who too often has to forgo the treats. :)

9. Aileen Cawley says

I meant to add – because of his nut allergy – I use a handful of sunflower seeds instead of the nuts. Adds a nice crunch!

Aileen, thanks for the review! This is one of my favorite vegan cookies too. Glad you liked it, and thanks for the tip on using sunflower seeds.