Thick & Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Corn Flakes

Sunday evening, during a retail therapy session at World Market, I found some Guittard Super Chips. It was break-through session! See, I’ve been checking World Market off and on for months looking for these chips, but the World Market near my house never had them. So now they do, and I have another chocolate chip to add to the family. The Guittard chips are smooth, mellow and big.

Big chips need big cookies, so I bought a box of Corn Flakes and decided to make this recipe which you may recognize. It’s an old one which for some reason, tends to get lost in the shuffle. What’s great about this version is it includes chocolate chips, unlike some of its cousins which call for pistachios and/or coconut.

The cookies are crunchy, crispy and sturdy. As for what appears to be copious amounts of butter and oil, keep in mind that the oil is buffered by a lot of low fat ingredients including more flour, cereal, and oats. So ounce for ounce, these aren’t much worse for you than other cookies. Besides, isn’t oil a healthy fat? And did you know that Crisco is now making Puritan oil with Omega 3? Really! I saw it in the store yesterday. I’m not really sure the Omega 3’s would hold up under the heat of 350 degree baking or how the oil even tastes but all this talk about oil jogged my memory. The type of oil I used was regular vegetable oil.

Anyhow, getting back on track…

I’ll probably include these in the bake sale because they were Grade A.

And one last thing. Since these were bake sale “audition” cookies, I made half of what’s written below. To halve an egg, beat it in a little cup and measure out 1 ½ to 1 ¾ tablespoons. It’s hard to be prescise measuring egg, so don’t get yourself into a tizzy trying to be accurate.

Big Cookies

Thick & Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Corn Flakes

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour or white whole wheat (440 grams)
1 Tbsp baking soda (15 ml)
1 tsp salt (5 ml)
1 cup butter (2 sticks) – salted (230 grams)
1 cup packed brown sugar – (220 grams)
1 cup granulated sugar or evaporated cane juice sugar (199 grams)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (15 ml)
1 cup vegetable oil (240 ml)
1 1/2 cups corn flakes, lightly crushed after measuring
1 1/2 cups quick cooking (not instant) oatmeal
1 cup toasted chopped pecans (60 grams)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (336 grams)

Don’t preheat oven yet — dough need to chill.

Mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and both sugars, then beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in oil.

Add flour mixture and stir until it is almost fully incorporated, then stir in the corn flakes, oatmeal, pecans and chocolate chips. Continue stirring until flour disappears.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (or it’s 175 degrees C).

Chill dough for at least an hour – it will get very firm and almost crumbly. When ready to bake, scoop up with a spoon and form into golf ball size mounds. Space 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets and press the dough mounds down slightly to make round discs. Bake for 13-15 minutes. Baking them longer should make them a bit crunchier.

Comments

1. Sue says

I think that recipe is the same or similar to one I grew up with. I’ll have to look it up. I’m glad you like the Guittard chips. Your packaging looks different than the packaging they distribute them in up here.

2. Marie says

I looked at the World Market site and I can’t tell what’s different about the superchips. Are they just jumbo sized semi-sweet chips? They cookies look awesome as usual.

I LOVE shopping at World Market – their food section is especially fun to browse through! :0)

crunchy, crisp cookies always have the best texture and overall flavor!

4. Heidi says

I like that it says “smoother, meltier chips for the chocoholic” – is “meltier” a word? ;)

Have you tried Callebaut chips? OMG those are faboo.

5. Katy says

Anna,
    Guittard makes great chips. FYI, they provide all the chocolate for See’s Candies. The chips they package for See’s and are sold in their stores here in California are also delicious.

Sue, it’s an old one. I kept finding different variations of it when I was looking for a crunchy cookie recipe.

Marie, the Super Chips are larger and flatter.
    The bag says “Meltier” which scared me a little because I’ve had instances where some types of chocolate, cut up, are a little *too* meltier.

VG, I think you’ll like these. I thought about trying them with Egg Replacer or Flax, but decided to use the egg first go-round. I think they would work with some sort of egg substitute if you did want to make them vegan.

Heidi, funny you should mention Callebaut. Those are my very favorite chocolate chips. The problem is the price. With all the baking I do, using Callebaut gets expensive. I buy them when I’m feeling “spendy” which is a word I like almost as much as “meltier”.

Katy, that’s a bit of trivia. There are people in my family who for some reason, are very fond of See’s chocolate. In Austin, they sell it in little kiosks in the mall around Christmas time.

Amy, I was thinking the same thing! Well, almost. Instead of bran flakes I was thinking Honey Bunches of Oats or Flax cereal. I think if I used Honey Bunches of Oats, I’d subtract 1 tablespoon of sugar.

7. Kelly says

I am currently baking up a batch of Shortbread Rounds from the back of the Guittard Milk Chocolate Chip bag (have made it many times, love it!). The milk chocolate chips are larger than standard semi-sweet, and oh, so good!

8. Kelly says

By the way, I will be serving them alongside the coconut, cherry, white chocolate bars from the other day. I love them!

9. Heidi says

I think the last time I bought Callebaut chips, it was in the bulk at Central Market, which makes it a little cheaper. I bought just enough for whatever recipe I was making. If I keep them around, I’ll end up snacking on them.

How funny that I baked sugar cookies w/ corn flakes in them for a friend’s birthday that was 4/22! It was his favorite cookie from his youth (Skywalker Scrunchies from a “Star Wars” activity book). I didn’t try them because they’re not vegan and I am, but he loved them!

I’m really into Corn Flakes right now. I have another recipe to post a little later. It’s similar to this one, but with almonds, coconut and no oil.

12. Shelly says

I tried this recipe last night. I love crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies and this didn’t disappoint! Wonderful texture, made a load of cookies (about 4-5 dozen). Addictive as well! kudos!

13. Lauren says

Delicious recipe! But I was sweating over the preheating oven and then it says to chill the dough for an hour…it was worth it though. Just a heads up to anyone about to make these!

Thanks Lauren! You are right. There’s no need to preheat the oven until after the dough has chilled. I think I put that step in there out of habit. I fixed the directions :).

15. Lisa says

WOW! These cookies are AMAZING!! I will never make regular chocolate chip cookies again. DH even says they are addicting. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

16. Terry says

These cookies are absolutely fabulous! I get requests over and over at work to make them. The only oil I had in the house the last time I baked was coconut so I used it. If possible the cookies were even better with the faint coconut flavor and scent. Thanks for a terrific recipe.

Glad you liked them, Terry! Thanks so much for the tip on using coconut oil. I haven’t made these in a while, but next time I do I will try with coconut oil.