Hola!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

It’s quiet, dark, dismal and rainy here, but we were treated to a first and second grader Cinco de Mayo performance this morning and that brightened things up a bit. Now, if I could just get the Liz Phair song out of my head, things would be great. It’s kind of a depressing song. I need to dig up some Tejano music.

In other news, I finally caught the re-run of the Bobby Flay/Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookie Showdown. That was the first time I’d ever watched a Bobby Flay Showdown Show and I actually liked it quite a bit. Bobby Flay and his helpers were very amusing trying to come up with the perfect cookie and the Levain girls were cute as can be. For some reason, I thought they’d be snobby foodie types, but they seemed normal, friendly, and confident their cookie was a winner.

Watching them make the recipe convinced me that Lisa was on the right track with her clone. Her cookies aren’t identical, but they are close. At this point, I think I’m going to move on and try some different cookies or wait until someone else comes up with a better clone.

Comments

The only thing that threw me for a loop is when they were naming the ingredients as they each made some of their cookies is that the Levain ladies said flour, but didn’t say baking soda. Did that mean their cookie doesn’t have any? Hmm. I can’t imagine that. It is an interesting cookie that I’d love to know the trick to, meanwhile, there are just too many cookies out there to make and try–I totally agree Anna.
    Today I’m making one of the Pillsbury Bake Off winners brownies, the ones with banana and carmel and Heath Bits. Not very Cinco de Mayo-ish, but I don’t really like cinnamon and chocolate, so not too excited to make anything like that.
    The throwdown show is a good one. Really like Bobby Flay.

2. angie says

I watched the Throwdown show about the chocolate chip cookies last night at 10:30 for the first time as well. I have been feeeling left out since I didnt get to see it. I am going to NYC on May 24th and I have got to find that bakery!

3. Ann says

Katrina — I thought when the Levain girls were throwing in ingredients they said “salt and leavening” which I assumed meant baking soda. Of course, I could have mis-heard?

Veggie Girl, I like Bobby Flay too. I think we’ll have to start taping this show.

Katrina, the Levain girls said “leavenings”. At that point, they were a little sneaky. They didn’t say what type of flour (bleached/unbleached, all purpose/cake) or whether they used baking soda, baking powder or both. Or maybe they used a secret leavening agent like cream of tartar or magic fairy dust. Maybe they mixed in instant yeast! Nah.

I think bananas and chocolate sound kind of Mexican.

Angie, now you and I don’t have to feel left out about missing Throwdown :).

Oh, one more thing. At the end, Nick Malgieri commented that the Levain cookies were sweet. Well, this copy cat that we’ve been using is definitely not too sweet. It has proportionately less sugar than Toll House cookies.

The Bobby Flay Throwdown is great! They just did a local place where I take my kids…The Pop Shop. Those girls that own Levain’s must have to do triathalons working around those cookies all day. By the way, the Shamu pictures were so cute!

7. Karen says

I know you are moving on to other cookies, but I wanted to share with you that I had my best results with the copy cat recipe when I baked them low and slow using dough that had chilled for a few days. I baked my last two cookies at somewhere between 325-350 for about 30 minutes. They were nicely browned and had a nice crispness. They stayed very tall. The inside was soft and sort of cakey – not underbaked and wet. I’m moving on now, too. But a visit to Levain Bakery is on my long list of things to do if I ever have another chance to go to NYC!

Lisa, they do triathlons! They are big into the whole Iron Man thing. I had to laugh because they kept describing their cookie as a way to carbo load.

Karen, one thing they said on the show was “350 for 20 minutes” so slow and low is what they use. I was cooking mine at 375 and reducing heat to 325, but 350 for 20-22 minutes works just as well.

I think mine weren’t as tall (this last batch) because I didn’t use as much flour. I’ve been weighing my flour and using 13.5 oz. I think they might use more like 15 oz.

9. Anonymous says

Anna:

This is Therese…who is coming up as anonymous!
    Too funny!!! We had our computer hard drive blow and hubby is in the process of repairing the inards AND locating what was lost. I am TRYING to be a patient wife but…now I can’t locate all my recipes!!
    I need a shot of tequila!!! Ole!
    I have made the Levain Copy-cats that you posted at least 5 times! THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!
    A great carb loader for sure!! I am training for an upcoming walk.

Huh, I don’t remember them saying leavening, but I would guess they had to use something! My guess IS the magic fairy dust, since no one can seem to get it quite right. ;)

Anna, when is your upcoming trip to Vegas? I just read your post from when you went last year and if you’re really looking for something fun to do, my plug is Spamalot. It’s playing there, too. So flippin’ funny!

11. Christy says

Afer reading all the comments it was driving me nuts to see what they said about leavening. I have it saved on our DVR, and Pam said, “and some salt & leavening”. Anyway, I had to share.