Toasted Hazelnut Bars Plus Oh Nuts!

I love hazelnuts, but the ones I find in Texas are often a bit stale. I’m not sure why that is, but I’ve eaten enough good hazelnuts to know the hazelnuts I’ve been getting out of the bulk bin aren’t top of the line. And frankly, if I’m going to go to the trouble of skinning them, I need the nuts to be great!

Last week I got an email from a company called Oh Nuts asking if I’d like a sample. It finally occurred to me that I could probably get much better hazelnuts, pre-roasted and fully skinned, on-line. I told Oh Nuts I would love to try a pound of their hazelnuts.

The nuts arrived Friday and they are delicious! Definitely better than what I could buy at the store and pre-skinned, pre-chopped. Oh Nuts charges $8.99 a pound for hazelnuts and given all the time saved, that is a bargain.

Because the nuts were skinned, toasted and ready to go, these bars came together in no time. I made a half batch in a 9 inch square pan, but if you need them for a party, you can make the original version which is made in a 15×10 inch pan.

Recipe Here.

The bars are a little different. They remind me of buttermilk or chess pie studded with hazelnuts, so if you like buttermilk pie, these are similar but without the twang. My mistake was not chopping the nuts enough, so make sure you chop the nuts.

Toasted Hazelnut Bars

Comments

1. Sue says

Thanks for sharing the Oh Nuts! link. It’s good to know where good quality hazelnuts can be found! I bet your mind is swirling with ideas for hazelnuts now!! I love, love, love, chocolate with hazelnuts!!!!!!

Sue, you are correct. I am obsessed with hazelnuts. I don’t know why it took me so long to order nuts in the mail. Duh.

3. judi0044 says

Yum – I was looking for hazelnuts and couldn’t find any yesterday. I’ll have to try this recipe for sure when I’ve found some (or order them). My stores keep moving things around; I go on a quest for something and then forget where I left off on my list.

Yum! I just got back from Oregon where I bought a bunch of hazelnuts and was looking for some recipes to use with them! I’ll definitely try this one.

These look great! We only have hazelnuts around Christmas time. Last year, I bought some, and they were really stale.

Oh Nuts sounds like a good company. They have a lot of products.

Oh I love hazelnuts! We made some chocolate chip bars a couple years ago with them and they were quite tasty! They are also good on top of ravioli with a browned butter sauce.

Joe, I almost made your hazelnut bars. The ones from Canadian Living. In fact, I wish I had made them.

8. Heidi says

That does indeed look like buttermilk pie. I think I was in HS before I ever ate a hazelnut -they are just not very popular here in TX what with the preponderance of pecans and all. I have to say, 80% of the time when a recipe calls for nuts, I use pecans whether that’s what it calls for or not. I wonder if these would be good w/ pecans. ;)

I’m a hazelnut FANATIC, so I’m lovin’ those bars; and I’m glad that the Oh Nuts! company does indeed sell great nuts! :0)

10. Heidi says

Ok, totally off-topic, but I know there are lots of people who comment who are bakers – looking for a good, tried and true yellow cake and whipped chocolate frosting recipe for cupcakes for a friends birthday. She loves the box cake cupcakes and whipped frosting out of a jar cupcakes of her youth. ;) (me I refuse to buy those things)

Heidi, I was thinking the same thing! I was in high school when I first tried a hazelnut and it was covered with chocolate — a Perugina chocolate, I believe. Texas is pecan country!

I bounce around from yellow cake to yellow cake so I’m not a good person to ask. Maybe someone else has one? I think Val likes this one. It’s a Betty Crocker recipe called “Bonnie Butter Cake”.

My favorite whipped chocolate frosting is the one I use with my Dr. Pepper Cake (pasted below)

Bonnie Butter Cake

2/3 cup Soft Butter
    1 3/4 cup Sugar
    2 Eggs
    1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
    3 cup Cake Flour or 2-3/4 cup All Purpose Flour, sifted
    2 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1 1/4 cup Milk

Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla together until fluffy (Beat 5 min. high speed). Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in alternately with milk. Pour into greased and floured 9″ round pans (2). Bake at 350 degrees for 34 to 40 minutes. Cool and frost.

This is the recipe I use most. It can be doubled with no problem.
    Yields: 5-1/2 cups batter

Silky Chocolate Butter Frosting:

3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
    1 cup milk
    1 cup butter (2 sticks, salted)**
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1 cup bittersweet (Ghirardelli) chocolate chips, melted and cooled

In 2 quart saucepan, stir together sugar, flour and cocoa until evenly combined. Add milk and stir until smooth – don’t worry if there are a few lumps because they will smooth out as you cook.

Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Reduce heat to low, cook 2 minutes, stirring all the while. Remove saucepan from heat; cool completely. This should take 40 minutes to an hour. You can let it cool while the cake cools if you want.

In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat softened butter until creamy. Gradually beat in cooled milk mixture, vanilla and melted chocolate.

Frost the cake.

**If you use unsalted, add a pinch or two of salt.

I ADORE hazelnuts! In fact I adore all nuts. Thanks for telling us about that site. Yesterday I was considering buying hazelnuts not with the skin but inside the shell still. But then I couldn’t be bothered and bought pistachios instead! Rita

13. judi0044 says

Hi Anna – I couldn’t wait. I got into my macadamia nut stash since I didn’t have hazelnuts. The recipe came out great – very rich and yes, somewhat like a chess pie. My husband was very pleased with the result. I did chop the nuts smaller as you mentioned since they were huge.

Just popping in on the cake – I’ve made the Bonnie Butter Cake before as cupcakes and they were quite tasty! I’ve also heard (have not had a chance to try it yet) that the Ultimate Yellow Butter Cake from Sarah Phillips is very good too.

Emiline, I am just kicking myself for not ordering through the mail sooner.

Rita, I wonder how fresh they would have been had you taken them straight from the shell? Wonder if if would have been worth the extra effort.

Judi, thanks again for the big macadamia nut experiment :). I have a feeling this is one of those recipes that will taste even better tomorrow when the custard settles in.