Triple Decker Rice Krispy Treats

by on May 19, 2008 · 20 comments

The second Track and Field Day recipe is from Katrina, who has been experimenting with layered Rice Krispy Treats. She started with two layers then graduated to three layers – chocolate, peanut butter, plain. I used Katrina’s recipe, but changed the proportions slightly. The bars turned out great. My only issue is the peanut butter layer isn’t very dark. Katrina added peanut butter chips to hers, so I think that’s why her peanut butter layer is darker.

This was a fun recipe and I’m looking forward to trying it with different flavors of Rice Krispy Treats. I see a Neapolitan treat on the horizon! In fact, I wanted to do that type today but couldn’t find those strawberry marshmallows everyone was talking about a few weeks ago.

And finally, I’d planned to make these in a big pot over the stove, but at the last minute I decided using the microwave would be more efficient. Along with being faster, it ‘s a little easier to clean a bowl between layers than a big pot.

Triple Layer Rice Krispie Treats

Triple Decker Rice Krispie Treats

Layer 1:
4 tablespoons butter
4 cups mini marshmallows (10 oz)
6 cups Coco Krispies cereal
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Layer 2:
3 tablespoons butter
4 cups mini marshmallows (10 oz)
1/2 cup peanut butter (estimate)
6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
1 cup peanut butter chips (optional)

Layer 3:
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups mini marshmallows
3 cups Rice Krispies

Line a 13×9 inch pan with parchment paper.

Melt butter in a microwave-safe mixing bowl (45 seconds on high). Add marshmallows and toss to coat with butter. Microwave marshmallows for 30 seconds and stir well. Repeat, stirring every 30 seconds, until marshmallows are melted. Stir in cereal and chocolate chips, then empty mixture into the lined pan. Lay another sheet of parchment over the top and press down as flat as you can. Set the parchment aside.

Rinse out bowl (no soap needed!) and repeat melting procedure with Layer 2 – adding peanut butter and Rice Krispies to melted marshmallows. Empty this layer onto the chocolate layer and use the sheet of parchment paper to press down. At this point, you’ll be almost to the top of the pan if not at the top.

Repeat melting procedure with Layer 3, which uses a smaller amount of butter, marshmallows and cereal. Empty onto to and press as flat as possible. Let stand at room temperature for an hour.

Lift from pan and set on a big cutting board. Using a Chef’s knife, cut into big squares.

Makes 1 13×9 inch pan

Published on May 19, 2008

Shannon May 19, 2008 at 4:11 pm

These look delicious. My four little ones love rice krispy treats, so this recipe will definitely be put to good use! I’m loving it!

Shauna May 19, 2008 at 5:34 pm

how about putting the chocolate layer in the middle? Would be more attractive without the color difference between the plain and peanut butter.

bakingblonde May 19, 2008 at 5:52 pm

I love using Fruity Pebbles in place of the Rice Krispies in my bars! They would be great layered with some Strawberry Rice Krispies and Original

VeggieGirl May 19, 2008 at 6:24 pm

OH. YES.

Laura May 19, 2008 at 7:40 pm

I wonder how Rice Krispies treats made with Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies Treats® cereal would taste?! With 7 different verities not including the “Pebbles” cereal the different combinations are endless.

Tara May 19, 2008 at 8:16 pm

What about spamoni layered rice krispie treats?

Rina May 19, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Yum, I can’t wait to try these! I think I may try to melt in some butterscotch chips for one of the layers (although I’ll probably run into the same color problem as you did with the peanut butter).

Or maybe a layer combined with cinnamon chips, then a layer with plain rice krispies and strawberry marshmallows?? Endless permutations. =)

Kitchen Scrapbook May 19, 2008 at 9:21 pm

That sounds really good! And of course looks good too! The part of me that loved rice krispy treats when I was a kid never grew up, I still love them!

Katy May 19, 2008 at 10:05 pm

These look great! I actually bought rice cereal yesterday to try and make FAT treats and today I find this fabulous photo on your site! Peanut butter chips are not available here, but I will try it using just the peanut butter and maybe using chocolate as the middle layer. I can’t wait to get started!

Katy

Clumbsy Cookie May 20, 2008 at 2:34 am

These must be yummy! Here’s a tip not to have to clean the bowl in between layers: start with the plain ones, do the peanut ones next and finish with the chocolate. I also would love to try those strawberry ones!Rita

Katrina May 20, 2008 at 6:09 am

Track and Field kids will love these, Anna! I don’t know why my white layer stands out more. I do suggest on my blog to try the chocolate layer in the middle to contrast the colors. That is what I will do next time. But I actually can’t wait to try different colors and flavors. A green mint layer with the chocolate would be good, too. Everyone is right, the possibilities are endless and the treats are so easy to make! Perfect for the warmer weather coming and not having to heat up the house with the oven.
I did just suffer through cleaning the pan everytime, but that was the least favorite part of the task and with results that were worth it. I often make rice krispy treats in the microwave.

Debbi May 20, 2008 at 7:42 am

I love the idea of the neopolitin treats. I’ll have to look for the strawberry marshmallows. This is such a simple idea, I can’t believe I haven’t seen it before. My kids will love them!

Laurel May 20, 2008 at 7:58 am

How about (for a strawberry layer) using the strawberries and cream hershey’s kisses – melted and added. Those things are so good!

These are great ideas! I am making some tonight!

BTW, if you did the strawberry layer, which layer would you recommend putting it on?

aTxVegn May 20, 2008 at 8:00 am

Yummy!

Heidi May 20, 2008 at 8:11 am

I used the strawberry marshmallows to make treats for V-day this year, then cut them into heart shapes with a cookie cutter. I’d never seen the flavored marshmallows before, they were ok – not stellar.

Katrina May 20, 2008 at 9:19 am

I just found the strawberry marshmallows at our Super Walmart.

Anna May 20, 2008 at 10:22 am

First off, I like the idea of putting chocolate in the middle. I am testing it today.

I’ve been busy all morning and not able to get to the store, but I happened to have some Strawberry Quik in the pantry and did a little experiment. The Quik tastes very good — it’s subtle and has just enough berry flavor to let you know there’s strawberry. I also used a few drops.

This experiment was done in a loaf pan. Will post results soon.

Katrina May 20, 2008 at 10:51 am

That’s exactly what I will be doing this afternoon, trying a few variations in a loaf pan. Thinking I might try strawberry/banana/plain–or choc., or might try both. I have banana extract but might try pudding mix. Doesn’t Nesquik or one of those also come in banana flavor? Hmmm

Robin May 22, 2008 at 4:15 am

Great idea!

Alysha August 27, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for posting this Anna. I was looking for a krispie type treat to make for the soccer concession stand this weekend and this looks perfect. I have to bake a cake and make some homemade cookie ice cream sandwiches the same day, so something that doesn’t involve actual baking is most welcome. :)