Tropical Banana Bread

My car is in the shop, so today’s recipe is made with things found around the house — notably, two almost-rotten bananas. The original recipe, which was from the Texas Hill Country Reporter Cookbook, was double this and called for 6 bananas and an 8 oz can of drained pineapple. I halved the recipe, used only 2 bananas and kept the full 8 oz can of pineapple. The bread was excellent — not too rich, but not dry, either. Next time I might add a little cinnamon.

Tropical Banana Bread

Tropical Banana Bread

2 cups all purpose flour (260 g) — 9 oz (spoon and sweep)
2 teaspoons baking soda (10 ml)
1/2 teaspoon salt (2.5 ml)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened (114 g)
1 cup granulated sugar (199 g)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
2 large bananas, mashed (230 g) —
8 oz can crushed pineapple, very well drained
1/2 cup toasted pecans pieces

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9×5 inch metal loaf pan with flour-added cooking spray.

Whisk flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, using high speed of an electric mixer; add eggs, one by one, beating 30 seconds after each egg. Beat in vanilla and bananas. Stir in pineapple.

Stir flour mixture into banana mixture in three parts — mixing (not beating) with a spoon. Stir in pecans. Transfer to loaf pan.

Makes 1 loaf
Set loaf pan on a cookie sheet and place on center rack of oven and bake for 60 minutes or until loaf appears done and a wooden skewer inserted in center

Comments

i have two and a half almost rotten bananas sitting on my kitchen counter…i think i’m going to try this recipe. I’m always looking for good banana bread recipes and i like the addition of pineapple in this one!

Hi Augustina,

I hope you like it! I think it would be good with 1 cup of mashed bananas or even 1 1/4 cup…which would probably use up ALL your rotten bananas.

3. Heidi says

I think I must have been the oldest young person ever, watching Texas Country Reporter when I was in high school.

4. Chris C-L says

I’ve made a similar recipe and I often add in some coconut for an even more tropical taste.

I made mini muffins adapting the recipe a bit. I used an oat blend flour, egg beaters and added a little bit of unsweetened coconut. I also cut the sugar to 3/4 cup. They are GREAT!

6. jancd says

I made this bread/cake this morning and it turned out great. When I poured it into the loaf pan, I wondered if it was going to run over the side, but my worries were not realized. It was great with a little butter and hot cup of coffee. I will make it again. Thanks. A little coconut added might be nice, too.