Wheat & Dairy Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Sandwich Cookies

by on May 27, 2008 · 8 comments

A few years ago I bought a bag of rice flour by mistake. I’d meant to buy “sticky” rice flour, but didn’t know there was a difference between the two flours and ended up with 1) an incorrectly prepared Japanese dessert and 2) a bag of rice flour that stayed in the refrigerator for a year until I finally threw it out.

Naturally, after throwing out the rice flour, every recipe I came across was an interesting cookie made with rice flour; if I wanted to make it, I had to go out and buy another $3.00 bag of rice flour. $3.00 isn’t a lot of money, but the fact that I’d just thrown out a bag made me less eager to run out and buy another one. This is the cookie that convinced me to do it. It’s based on a state fair winning recipe which won second place in the category “Wheat and Dairy Free Desserts”.

These were really good. They were thicker and more (hmmmm) rustic than I’d imagined, but the rice flour gives the cookie an interesting crumbly texture. The original recipe said to add extra peanuts to the dough and white chocolate, but I didn’t think those things were necessary. In fact, these would be great without the chocolate chunks. Just be prepared for some tall cookies.

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

Wheat & Dairy Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Sandwich Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
2 tablespoons soy milk, hemp milk or regular milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups rice flour
1 cup chopped dark or semi-sweet chocolate or dairy free chocolate chips, chopped

Filling:
1 cup peanut butter
2/3 cup powdered sugar
½ to 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Cream shortening, peanut butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer. Beat in egg and milk. Scrape sides of bowl and stir in baking soda and salt. Mix thoroughly, then add rice flour and stir until well mixed. The dough should be very thick. Mix in the chocolate.

Using a tablespoon measure as a guide, scoop up balls of dough and shape into small mounds. Press the mounds into neat circles, about 1 ¾ inches in diameter. These cookies don’t spread very much. You should have 34 rounds.

Bake the cookies 11-14 minutes or until set. Let cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.

Prepare filling. Mix together peanut butter and powdered sugar. If the mixture seems to stiff for your liking, add vegetable oil.

Spread mixture onto smooth sides of 17 cookies. Press smooth sides of remaining cookies onto filling to make sandwiches.

Makes 17 cookies.

Published on May 27, 2008

J May 27, 2008 at 9:56 am

Silly question alert:

These are gluten free, right? Thanks for answering a stupid question, in advance.

VeggieGirl May 27, 2008 at 10:42 am

What a delicious way to use up extra rice flour!! I could totally go for one of those cookie-sandwich treats right now – yum!

Sue May 27, 2008 at 2:36 pm

I will definitely try this recipe once I have the ingredients. I need to explore more recipes like this.

judi0044 May 27, 2008 at 2:47 pm

I noticed some rice flour in the Hispanic section of the market Monday. I wondered what it might be used for – your recipe would obviously be one use. Revisiting Almondinas – I stopped in at TJM and found an Italian 12″ x 4″ x 2 (approx.) metal loaf pan for $4.99. That was a find – so the Almondinas may be on the agenda again. I’d like to experiment with some other flavors next time. The ingredient list for the choconut one has chocolate liquor and cocoa. Any ideas what proportions, Anna?

Katy May 27, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Anna,
Dairy-free? I see an egg and milk. Did you leave those out?
Also, what kind of stout do you use in the guinness cake?
thanks,
Katy

aTxVegn May 27, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Your cookies turned out great! I love baking with alternative flours and I really like the flavor and texture of rice flour. I hope an egg replacer works in this recipe because I’m going to try to make it vegan.

Anna May 27, 2008 at 4:38 pm

Katy, I used milk because that’s what I had on hand. The original recipe is made with soymilk. As for the eggs, I don’t think eggs are dairy. They’re located in the dairy aisle, but people with milk allergies can usually have eggs. The eggs make them non-vegan, though.

J, I always thought wheat free meant okay for people with gluten intolerance. I believe rice flour is fine, however, I don’t want to make a broad statement about whether this is safe for celiacs because I am not an expert. I believe it is, but I think some people have more severe allergies.

ATX Vegan, I am anxiously awaiting your Egg Replacer experiment results.

Judi, I think you’ll have to play around with those proportions! I became somewhat obsessed with Almondina cloning and had to back off.

Clumbsy Cookie May 27, 2008 at 5:08 pm

When I was growing up one of my favourites was a rice cake (http://www.fabricoproprio.net/bolos-cakes/bolo-de-arroz/).
But now most bakeries don’t use rice flour anymore, because it’s expensive… I’ve seen rice flour beeing made by slightly toasting the raw rice and then grind it. Don’t know if it’s worth it…
But still, cakes and cookies made with rice flour have a wonderful texture, it’s great to use on shortbreads too!