Bobby Flay’s Throwdown Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on June 23, 2008 · 20 comments

Okay, now that the pudding dessert is out of the way, here’s today’s cookie.

This is another one I’ve been meaning to make for months. It’s the loser cookie from Throwdown with Bobby Flay. And by loser, I mean the one that lost to the Levain chocolate chip cookies. So are the cookies really losers? No! Definitely not. I made a batch for my friend Sarah’s birthday and she has not called to say the cookies were terrible. Furthermore, I sampled one myself and thought they were good too. However, they’re different and more “chef-ish” than “housewife-is” and I like my cookies on the “housewife-ish” side.

Does that even make sense? No. But what I’m saying is that they taste a little gourmet. Bobby Flay’s recipe says to use Callebaut chocolate, which is really good stuff. I think that’s an important tip when making this cookies because the cookie hinges on the chocolate chunks. There’s not much to the actual cookie itself, which is not to say it’s bad, but it’s pretty much a flat and buttery vehicle for really good chocolate.

So the cookies were good overall. They should be pleasing to more gourmet palates.

Recipe Here

One last thing. I used dark and light brown sugar — not muscovado. I’m not sure how big a difference that would have made, but I think I got the gist of these cookies.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Published on June 23, 2008

VeggieGirl June 23, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Those cookies DEFINITELY aren’t losers. I love Bobby Flay ;0)

Therese B. June 23, 2008 at 12:58 pm

I get what you are saying about the chef-ish vs. housewife-ish type of cookie. I am more of a housewife-ish myself. It is a good recipe when you have the ingredients sitting in your pantry…but, it is fun to try with higher quality ingredients once in a while.

Oh…good chocolate does make a big difference. I just had a conversation at the grocery store about good vs. average chocolate.
You CAN tell the difference.

I never heard of that type of brown sugar….?

p.s. I made the double chocolate cookies and the chocolate yogurt muffins you recently posted….YUMM-O-LISICOUS ON BOTH RECIPES!!!

standing still June 23, 2008 at 12:58 pm

I am totally with you on the housewifeish choc chip thing. And, it totally makes sense.

Another Valerie June 23, 2008 at 2:04 pm

All of my cookies are housewife-ish. I am practicing for my future. Anyway, I just bought my first bag of Callebaut chocolate chips and they make all cookies good.

Oatmeal Cookie Guy June 23, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Ha! I posted a recipe for chocolate chip cookies last night. (Great baking minds thinking alike?)

I think Bobby wuz robbed. Those Levain cookies didn’t do it for me.

I’ll have to give this recipe a try. :-)

Lisa Ernst June 23, 2008 at 1:45 pm

These cookies certainly look like winners. There are places online where you can buy Calebut chocolate in bulk for about 40 cents per ounce. Of course the cost of cold pack shipping to a residence in summer will probably cancel out the savings.

Katrina June 23, 2008 at 2:14 pm

I’ve thought about that cookie, too. Except I don’t think I like a flat cookie as much as one with more substance. I did love Jacque Torres cookies that I made with really good chocolate though. I’ll have to try this one someday. Still taking bites of the Levain’s I made yesterday. Still good. I think I love the big chunks of walnuts in them.

bakingblonde June 23, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Those look good, i do like my cookies more ‘humble’ and less ‘gourmet’ as well.
However, on occassion I would like to jazz mine up with some good quality chocolate.

What are your favorite chocolate brands for CC cookies?

Tanya June 23, 2008 at 4:46 pm

These sound good, but I do like a thicker, softer cookie myself. Still, I will have to try this one!

Check my blog for a little award I left you (just for fun) :)

Clumbsy Cookie June 23, 2008 at 5:04 pm

I see your point on the chefish vs housewifish cookies. These really do look like a nice device for good chocolate, but I think I maybe would like to eat the chocolate by it self… I don’t have an opinion on Bobby, but I would like to try his cookies.

Joanna June 23, 2008 at 5:25 pm

I loved that throwdown!!! I think it was just impossible to win against those Levain cookies. They were so huge, but Bobby’s still looked good. And honestly, Bobby Flay can make ANYTHING look good ;)

Anna June 23, 2008 at 7:09 pm

VeggieGirl, I hope you are feeling better today. It’s been a trying week. And I hope you take this as a compliment, but every time I see you in that photo with your pup I am reminded of a young Lindsay Lohan. Lindsay back in “The Parent Trap” days. Sorry. Just had to mention that.

Therese and SS, I am glad you get the “chefish” vs. “housewife-is” thing.

OCG, I need to go check out your latest cookies. I’m not sure Bob (as he is called on the Food Network Star blog) was robbed. I think I like Levain’s cookies better than these. No offense to Bob.

Lisa, thanks for that tip! I haven’t bought chocolate on-line in a while.

Another Valerie, yes — Callebaut makes everything good. It’s one of my favorites. I especially like their chocolate chips.

Katrina, my Jacques Torres cookies weren’t nearly as flat as these. I don’t think you would like these, frankly.

BB — my favorite baking chocolate is Valrhona.

Tanya, I can’t wait to see my reward!

Clumbly Cookie, I ate some of the chocolate by itself and liked it better that way.

Joanna, that is the only episode of Throwdown I ever watched. It was good. I don’t know why I don’t watch it more often. Strangely, I hardly watch cooking or food related TV….except for Top Chef.

Tonight I’m excited about watching Psychic Kids! Can’t wait!

Emily June 23, 2008 at 8:35 pm

these look just like Jacques Torres’ chocolate chip cookies!

Joanna June 23, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Top Chef is one of my favorite shows, too. I loved Richard and wanted him to win, but Stephanie was a great chef as well. The reunion show was absolutely hilarious when Richard said something about Dale’s nipples. My mom and I could hardly breathe when we watched it haha

Emiline June 23, 2008 at 10:19 pm

These look delicious. You can’t beat chocolate chip cookies.
I think you’re gourmet! You just put a spin on gourmet…you make a lot of retro desserts and sweets.

Lisa June 24, 2008 at 8:27 am

Thank you for stopping my brand new ‘baby’ blog, anna :) I hope you come back soon, as I’ll be covering some really great cookie recipes I came up with, including my famous rugelach with some really cool and yummy flavor combos. One of them was actually a top 15 finalist in a Plugra cookie contest about two years ago. (I know.. nothing to brag about, but that was the first and only contest I ever entered a recipe in..LOL).

As for Flay’s ‘loser’ cookie, I really felt there was no need to use muscovado sugar at all, as regular light and dark brown sugar is more than fine and tastes practically the same (muscovado is just a little stronger, I think), but I tried it using browned butter (aka beurre noisette lol), and it was better than the original!

Cathy - www.wheresmydamnanswer.com June 25, 2008 at 12:43 pm

I saw the throw down episode on food network with these cookies and these are no losers!!

These look amazing I am so glad you posted this recipe.

I like your idea to blend the light and dark brown sugar.. Great tip

Cheers
Cathy

christine November 3, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Hi Anna!

I really enjoy reading your blog and check in everyday to see what new treats you’ve baked. You’ve inspired me to start baking again. I’m loving it despite a tipping scale and expanding derriere. Do you have a recommendation for a website that sells Callebaut semi-sweet chips? My local stores only sell the big blocks of chocolate.

Anna November 3, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Hi Christine,

I wish I had a better recommendation other than to try Googling. I’m sure there are a few places on the net that sell the chips.

Maybe since your store sells the blocks, they’d put in a special order for the chips? I would ask your store to order them first, that way you wouldn’t have to pay shipping. I’ll bet a lot of people would buy them.

Pat Quiram July 4, 2010 at 11:13 am

I’m sorry Bobby, but I would like to have Levain Bakery choc. chip cookie recipe.