Chocolate Yogurt Muffins

by on June 18, 2008 · 37 comments

Fuzz is at camp today. Last week it was Girl Scout camp and this week it’s YMCA. Next week, it will be a half day drama camp and then the next few weeks after that – Camp Mom. Hopefully, she won’t get too bored. I try to plan interesting activities, but Fuzz has a strong need to be with kids her own age and gets kind of lonely. My plan is to bombard her with camps for the first month so that by July she will be happy to just hang out with me….and a maybe a play date.

YMCA camp, which is held at a local elementary school, turned out to be more fun than we expected. The kids are on a structured schedule with field trips and plenty of swimming. Best of all, Fuzz gets to be with two of her best Kindergarten friends and one little girl she played with in Pre-K. Still, I think she is probably tiring of all the camps. It will be good to have her home next week.

Today, I decided to bake Fuzz a batch of muffins. She’s starting to like them more and more, so long as they don’t have chunks of fruit or nuts. Something tells me she won’t mind chunks of chocolate!

This is modified from a recipe being passed from Yahoo group to Yahoo group. It can be made with plain yogurt (as per the original) or vanilla, which is what I used. The muffins are pretty large and have a nice dome shape. But what I really like about them is that they are not glorified cupcakes. These really have the taste and texture of muffins.

Chocolate Yogurt Muffin

Double Chocolate Yogurt Muffins

3/4 packed cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
1 cup vanilla flavored or plain (I used vanilla) yogurt
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate or bittersweet chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cups.

Stir brown sugar and butter together in a medium size bowl. Add yogurt, egg and vanilla and stir until thoroughly blended.

Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture, stirring only until blended. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon batter into greased muffin tins and bake for 22-25 minutes.

Makes 12

Published on June 18, 2008

VeggieGirl June 18, 2008 at 1:48 pm

“Camp Mom” was always my favorite type of camp, when I was little :0)

Those muffins look terrific!

Steph June 18, 2008 at 2:02 pm

The muffins look great! I have trouble finding muffin recipes are muffin-like instead of cupcakes in disguise.

beth June 18, 2008 at 2:10 pm

My little girl (and my Husband for that matter) wont eat muffins or cakes with chunks of fruit or nut – I’ll have to give these a try!

Anna June 18, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Beth, I would love to hear what you think!

Also, I just looked at your blog and copied 2 or 3 recipes. Thanks for stopping by Cookie Madness.

Alicia June 18, 2008 at 3:16 pm

I’m glad to hear that these are more muffin than cake, and I love that they use cocoa powder. I’m going to give them a try once I restock on yogurt. I’ll probably freeze half, so I’ll let you know how that goes!

Ashley June 18, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Ooo those look like really good and perfect muffins! I like the combination of yogurt and chocolate.

standing still June 18, 2008 at 5:33 pm

I’m always looking for a breakfast recipe for muffins to feed the teen/child. Something without fruit or nuts, also. Thanks.

Clumbsy Cookie June 18, 2008 at 5:34 pm

I bet Camp Mom will be fun if you keep those muffins coming! I had Camp Bymyself or Camp Gradma when I was little and don’t remember having muffins :(

Anna June 18, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Hey, I went to Camp Bymyself too! We ate a lot of Doritos and watched Welcome Back Kotter.

RecipeGirl June 18, 2008 at 7:58 pm

I hear ya on the camp stuff. My little guy is in camp this week and next. I don’t think “Camp Mom” would be that appealing to him. From the moment he gets home, he’s off to find neighborhood friends and then we see him for dinner. Thankfully we’re off on vacation soon and he’ll be forced to be with us!!

These look like great treats. My son would love them (chocolate fanatic).

Carrie June 19, 2008 at 5:26 am

Anna –
Would fat-free yogurt work?
Thanks,
Carrie

HeartofGlass21 June 19, 2008 at 5:58 am

Camp Girl Scout, Camp YMCA, drama camp & Camp CorgieCookie madness sounds pretty swell to me!

By the way, I keep thinking to mention this book to you–it’s a crafts and cooking book for dogs, written by a British woman I found in a novelty book store. It features how to make a princess castle and various dog clothes as well as dog food (in UK metric measurements of ingredients. I gave it to my friend’s kids and they loved it–and made some of the crafts stuff for my dog, whom they love. It even features the owner’s corgi in many of the photos.

It’s called Pamper Your Pooch, by Jane Taylor and available on Amazon.

Anna June 19, 2008 at 6:50 am

Carrie, I’m sure fat free would work. Hope you try the muffins!

HeartofGlass (I think of Blondie every time I see your screen name), thanks for the tip. I need good dog food recipes.

I might switch to Flint River brand food or another one called California something (both rated high in my dog nutrition book). None of the foods I’m interested in can be purchased at Pet Smart, so I’ll have to go to a special feed store.

giz June 19, 2008 at 8:20 pm

I’m assuming when you said 1 cup of vanilla flavoured or plain you meant yogurt.

When my kids got “hungry, thirsty, tired and bored” – all of these descriptors seemed to go together, I introduced them to the public library and the story club. It was probably the best thing I ever did – now in their late 20’s they’re still avid readers.

alicat June 20, 2008 at 2:05 pm

I made these last night but had to leave out the chocolate chips, as I had none in the house. I found the batter to be crazy thick, so I thinned it by mixing in some lowfat milk, but I certainly overmixed the batter because my muffins are like lead balloons. Darned tasty, though. Next time I’ll think my yogurt first, and then I won’t have to beat the batter to death.

Anna June 20, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Hmmmmm. Crazy-thick, eh? My batter was thick but kind of light. Do you think you might have used too much flour? I spooned and swept and used a total of about 7 3/4 oz. Also, I wonder if the extra milk might have contributed to toughness.

Sorry they were heavy. Glad you at least liked the taste ;).

Carrie June 21, 2008 at 10:30 am

Hi Anna,

I made these this morning with Greek style fat-free yogurt and Scharffen Berger cocoa. They turned out beautifully. I hope to post a picture of them on my blog sometime today.

Thanks again for all your ideas!

Carrie

Anna June 21, 2008 at 11:14 am

Hi Carrie!

Thanks for the review. I need to buy some Greek style yogurt.

Lisa June 22, 2008 at 7:15 am

I made these last night to eat for dessert and breakfast this morning. YUM! I have been searching for a really good chocolate chocolate chip muffin recipe forever. I’ve made some of the others on this site as well, but these are my favorite so far. Too bad they have so much fat! (some of the others have a lot less)

You’re totally right about the batter, it is thick but very light, almost like mousse or something. The muffins were best after they cooled down. Next time I make these I’m taking a picture and posting it on my blog as well. Thanks for a great recipe!

Debbie August 26, 2008 at 2:19 pm

I think I did something wrong :o(

The mixture was so thick I couldn’t stir it, lol. Seems like too much flour. Not sure what I did wrong! Lol.

Bettina January 13, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I just found this link through a google search for chocolate yogurt muffins. I will be trying this in a few minutes, replacing most of the butter with a mashed banana. I know it won’t be the same, but still looks like it will be pretty good!

jodi June 21, 2009 at 9:54 am

Hi was wonderful! Made them fathers day morning in a jiffy with my daughters. Everyone loved them!
Thanks.

Syin November 1, 2009 at 11:54 am

I only half-filled my muffin cups so I would get smaller muffins – and I got 21. I baked them for 15 minutes. My muffin batter was airy, almost like mousse, and the muffins were unbelievably moist and deliciously chocolatey. This was far yummier than I expected – and extremely easy to make as well! Thanks for this recipe.

Natalie March 12, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I made these yesterday and they turned out heavy, but not hard. I wonder it I should have creamed the melted butter with sugar instead of just stirring with a spoon? They tasted really good though.

Anna March 12, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Natalie, it sounds like you did everything right. I haven’t made this recipe in a while, but I remember the muffins as heavy, but moist and kind of dense. I actually like chocolate muffins on the heavy side, otherwise they’re too much like cupcakes. If you didn’t love this texture, definitely try another one. You may just be someone who prefers a lighter muffin.

Natalie March 13, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Thanks, Anna. They were moist and dense and certainly satisfied the chocolate craving. I think you may be right, perhaps I was looking for a fluffier texture.

You have a lovely website by the way and I love baking so I’ll probably be trying out some of the other recipes on it!

Kristina June 1, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I made these and LOVED them! I did make a little bit of a change, which I blogged about (with an appropriate link back to your recipe, of course)… I added habanero peppers. Delicious! Thanks so much for sharing!

Anna June 1, 2010 at 5:38 pm

What a great idea!! I’ve never added habanero to chocolate.

Liza June 2, 2010 at 10:08 am

I’ve been looking for a great double chocolate chip muffin recipe, and this one sounds yummy! I will be giving it a try soon. Thanks for sharing (even if it was 2 years ago and I’m just slow on finding it :D)

Elizabeth February 1, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Weighing in 2 1/2 years later, for what it’s worth: there’s a lot of variability in solids versus liquid content in yogurt, which probably explains the thickness issues some readers experienced. I substitute yogurt for other liquids (esp. buttermilk) in baking quite often and just add milk or soymilk as needed to achieve the right consistency. I baked these muffins with what I had in the house — white whole wheat flour, olive oil, and kefir — and they had the same silky consistency others mentioned. Very tasty — thanks for the recipe.

Cissie Aube March 24, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I have just put these in the oven and we’ll see, the batter was a bit thick so I added a little skim milk to make it a better consistancy; tho’ I know that muffins will become “tough” if overbeaten. I am sure they’ll be fine though. I was looking for a recipe for:
“Chocolate yogurt flaxseed muffins” that I’d written down from a site I found on-line and I forgot to put the word ”flaxseed” in the search bar, so I found these and decided they would be fun & just as popular with all my fam & friends.

Anna March 24, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Cissie, I hope you like the muffins! I’ll have to try making a chocolate flaxseed muffin next ;).

Christina February 28, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Hi there! I just made some of these and since they’re just cooled I ate one: yum! I used a gluten-free flour mix and full fat plain yogurt. I also used 1/3 cup organic canola instead of butter because that’s what I had around. They weren’t heavy at all, an issue another commenter had, just the right density for a muffin. Thank you!

Jennifer September 23, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Just baked these muffins. They are delicious! Even my husband who is not a chocolate lover loved them :)

Anna September 24, 2012 at 7:58 am

Hi Jennifer,
Thanks for the review! This is one of my favorite muffin recipes. In fact, I’ve bookmarked it to make this week.

Isabelle October 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hello Miss Anna, Thank you for suggestion me this recipe, everybody in my family loved it! Because we had raspberries at home on each muffin I toped one before baking, it was very excellent! Thanks again! All the recipes that were great, have the permission of my mum to be written in the “Big Recipes Book” of hers!

Sincerely, Isabelle.
PS. If there are still other successful recipes of yours, they’re always welcome!

Michelle March 11, 2014 at 7:28 am

I use shredded coconut in the place of chocolate chips but they are awesome!