Comments

1. Sue says

I should give these a chance. I struggle with keeping my hand out of the cookie jar, but with 25% fewer calories, I wouldn’t have to feel quite so guilty. Still….. those JT CCC are sooooo good!

I like how she changed the recipe, except I wouldn’t bother with the butter substitute. Maybe I should be more concerned about fat, but I think cutting the calories is more important. The margarine has the same number of calories as butter, but the butter flavor and texture would probably make a huge difference. I also wish she would have said what size cookie scoop, or gave some indication of the size of the dough balls…I can guess,what the heck?! (I’m kind of opinionated about recipe developing:))

Sue, what I wonder is if I made these, would I eat 25% more while trying to get the satisfaction of a full fat cookie?

Katy, I’m with you for the most part. Still, I like seeing how people like Recipe Doctor make these cuts.

Julie, it sounds like you like reading these doctored recipes too. I don’t quite get the margarine/spread sub. I would prefer using a smaller amount of butter plus extra water or egg white to make 4 oz…but I guess Recipe Doctor likes that product. I freeze up when I see the word “margarine”. I feel deceived that for most of my life, my family bought margarine because they thought it was healthier and yet the whole time it was wreaking havoc. Tangent. Whoops.

4. HeartofGlass says

I don’t think the Recipe Doctor means margerine, but this:

It’s a half-butter, half-canola oil spread with all natural ingredients, at 50 calories a tablespoon. I’ve eaten it as a spread and it’s pretty good that way, nothing like margerine, or (shudder) Icantbelieveittastesthisbadandcalls
    itselfbutter.

But I’ve never used it baking, because I thought the oil would raise the water content, and I’m just a beginning baker and starting out–it was interesting to know it might be a valuable substitute. I just don’t think the caloric savings are that significant, though.

I am the exact same way about margarine. That’s what we had in the house when I was a kid. I remember sneaking extra swipes of it at the dinner table–just eating it straight off a knife! No wonder I was a chubby kid:) I do love reading doctored recipes. And I also wondered why there weren’t some egg whites involved here…but I’m not up on the science of how to replace the butter.

I’m with ya’ll–I never buy margarine anymore. There’s just nothing healthy or good in it. I also grew up on it, mostly because it’s so much cheaper than butter, but oh what we wish we knew then! I’m not sure JT Cookies should be lightened. If you’re gonna have a cookie, have a good one. I can’t believe I said that and Little Miss Health Conscience that I am of late, and I’m always trying to lighten up recipes, but I just think you shouldn’t mess with such greatness as JT! Okay, I’m done. :)