Mrs. Baron’s Double Chocolate Cookies

by on June 8, 2008 · 27 comments

Girls’ night went well. Fuzz and I watched Alvin and the Chipmunks then read The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes. It’s a great book and more meaningful the older you get – especially if you are a mother rabbit with 21 kids.

After that, I tried to get Fuzz to watch Enchanted. She seemed to like it okay (who couldn’t not like Amy Adams?), but every few minutes she’d announce the time. “Mom, it’s 9:26…..Mom, it is now 10:00…..Mom, maybe I should go to bed. It’s 10:16.”

“Don’t you like the movie?”

“Yes, but it’s past my bedtime.”

“Do you want to sleep here on the couch?”

“No, I can’t get comfortable.”

So I put Fuzz to bed, checked to see if Lizzie was asleep in her crate, then watched Enchanted with the cats, who were really happy I’d chosen a second movie with crazy chipmunks.

Todd got home late and told me the cheesecake bars went over well. These chocolate cookies, which I made at the last minute, were also well received. Here’s the recipe, which was emailed to me my Mrs. Baron. Her name is Danielle, but we will call her Mrs. Baron because she is a teacher – a teacher with a blog where she pictures of her creations. She doesn’t post recipes or even text for that matter, so her blog is kind of relaxing…..like watching TV with the sound off.

Double Chocolate Cookies

Mrs. Baron’s Double Chocolate Cookies

8 ounces unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
2/3 cup baking cocoa (MB uses Guittard)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 scant teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment.

Cream butter and both sugars in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until blended.

Thoroughly stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add to egg mixture and stir until it is almost blended in. Add the chocolate chips and stir until flour mixture is absorbed.

Using about a quarter cup measure, drop cookies onto cookie sheets spacing 2 ½ inches apart. Bake for 16 minutes or until they appear set. Let cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool.

Makes about 24 big cookies

(Note: You can also make them smaller, of course)

Published on June 8, 2008

Lisa Ernst June 8, 2008 at 8:19 am

This one looks good, my kind of cookie. Maybe some pecans thrown in would make them even better (to me, anyway).

VeggieGirl June 8, 2008 at 9:09 am

Glad that girls’ night went well :0)

Oooh, those cookies look FABULOUS!

Anna June 8, 2008 at 9:43 am

To Anonymous,

I just saw your comment about sticks in cookies. I’m not sure when Danielle puts the stick in her sugar cookies on sticks (pictured on blog) but I will find out for you.

Suzy June 8, 2008 at 11:33 am

Thanks for the link the Mrs. Baron’s website (we had a Mrs. Baron in Jr. High that taught typing). She has some great ideas.

Kelly June 8, 2008 at 11:37 am

I looked at the blog and I wish that she would have posted the recipe for the spinach sausage pie, it looks great. Do you know how to contact her for recipes?

P.S. I was wondering if you ever made the blueberry coffee crumb cake recipe for Todd’s Mom that I sent to you? I just love that recipe and wanted to know your thoughts?

Kelly

Therese B. June 8, 2008 at 11:49 am

I love your blog…the movies. So cute!!
These chocolate cookies look SOOOOOO good!!

I will try!

However, not to change from this delish recipe but I just bought some blueberries at the store and so I SECOND THE NOTION of posting the blueberry crumb cake recipe!

The weather here is crummy…rain..rain..rain.
So a crumb cake would be lovely to try!!

p.s. My brother-n-law/wife kids joined in the graduation party a little late…they got a puppy!! A bulldog. He is big for a puppy. But cute in a bulldog way.

Michelle R June 8, 2008 at 1:25 pm

That is SO FUNNY that you like the Country Bunny book – it is one of my absolute favorite books from when I was a kid – love the girl power message. I bought a copy of it when I grew up so I would always have it – and read it to my kids (twin boys). That cookie recipe looks really good – I’ll have to try it!

Anna June 8, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Suzy and Kelly, I sent Mrs. B. and email asking for the sausage pie recipe.

Kelly, I didn’t make that one. I will eventually. I am sure it will be good.

Therese, here’s the recipe Kelly sent me. If you try it, let us know.

Blueberry Crumb Cake
(adapted from Barefood Contessa)

Streusel Topping:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 cups flour

Cake:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (3/4 stick)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2/3 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup fresh blueberries
Confectioners’ sugar for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch round baking pan.

Prepare streusel first.
Combine both sugars, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in butter and then the flour. Mix well and set aside.

Prepare cake.
Cream the butter and sugar until light; add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla, lemon zest, and sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Fold in the blueberries and stir with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out with a knife. With your fingers,
crumble the topping evenly over the batter. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Cool completely and serve sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar.

Emiline June 8, 2008 at 2:05 pm

The cookies look great. Mrs. Baron makes some tasty-lookin’ treats.

That was my favorite book growing up. If I ever have kids, I’m going to train them to clean the house.

Anna June 8, 2008 at 2:13 pm

I’m going to train Fuzz to pull out my chair for me every night.

Erin Mylroie June 8, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Anna:
That was one of my favorite books as a child. My mother must have got a kick out of it too, since there were ten of us kids. Although, we weren’t nearly as obedient as those country bunnies. I wanted to be one of the bunnies that painted or danced, and definitely not one of the bunnies that did the dishes.

Clumbsy Cookie June 8, 2008 at 3:14 pm

I think it’s so cute that Fuzz is the one taking iniciative in going to bed. Most kids would want to stay up late, she must be really well behaved!
Ms Baron’s cookies look very good.

Nick June 8, 2008 at 3:54 pm

I was wondering if anyone has tried the $1,000,000 Pillsbury bake off winners cookies (Double-Delight Peanut Butter Cookies) yet?
They look really good. I’m going to attempt to make them in the morning.

Katrina June 8, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Anna,
These look big and thick like well, you know, Levains (almost had to bring that name up again! ;) Hmmm. I’m going to try them either tonight or tomorrow.
Nick,
Tons of foodie bakers have since tried the winning Pillsbury recipe. You can even search here on Anna’s site and find that she did, too. I tried it as well, both with store bought dough and a homemade pb dough. The cookie is great however you do it! You can click on my link here on Cookie Madness if you want to see mine, on the side there it says Katrina & Boys. You’ll have to scroll to see mine, made them a few months ago.
They are totally worth trying!
I’ll bet these Mrs. Baron’s Double Choc. Cookies are, too!

danielle June 8, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Hi everyone! Yes, the only reason my blog says Mrs. Baron is because I teach first grade and let the kids view the site. Kelly, as for the spinach pie, I used the recipe from Martha’s site and just adapted a bit.

I added 1 box frozen spinach totally drained and used sausage I fried up instead of dried sausage. To make the broccoli pie I just blanched fresh broccoli and threw it in!

HeartofGlass21 June 8, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Has your daughter ever seen “Lady and the Tramp”? I was just wondering, given the recent addition to your household.

The cookies look a bit like brownies, actually.

This is probably a very silly question from a novice, but I always wonder about mixing semi and milk chocolate chips in cookie recipes–does it make that much of a difference flavor-wise in the final product (I prefer dark and don’t keep a lot of milk chocolate things on hand)

sharon June 8, 2008 at 6:04 pm

I think its adorable that Fuzz keeps track of her bedtime. i was certainly the opposite! Glad you had a good girls’ night & the cookies look great.

I think Emiline is on to something…

Joe June 8, 2008 at 8:02 pm

How did you like the chipmunks movie? We thought about renting that (along with Enchanted too at some point!)

giz June 8, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Mrs. Baron is somebody each of us needs in our lives. Kind of an anonymous Mrs. Fields. She has great recipes and you made her proud with the cocokies.

Jackie June 8, 2008 at 8:25 pm

I have made the Pillsbury Bake-Off cookies. They are delicious but rather time-consuming and kind of messy if the dough gets to warm. I have one more packet of cookie dough left so I have to find time to make them again this week.

Anna June 9, 2008 at 5:39 am

Joe, I am not a huge Chipmunks fun and wasn’t really happy about Fuzz’s movie selection. However, it was better than I expected. Plus, David Cross is in it and I like him.

Sophie June 9, 2008 at 9:54 am

These look like some decadent chocolate cookies.

P.S. I agree, watching TV with the sound off is kind of relaxing :D.

Erin June 9, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Can you get the recipes for the rainbow items on Ms. Baron’s blog? They look so good and would be so cute for a child’s party. Thanks!

Candace June 17, 2008 at 8:26 am

This recipe is the answer to the search that I’ve been on for at least five years for a chocolate-chocolate chip recipe. I made them yesterday with plain old Hershey’s cocoa and they were fabulous. The ladies at knitting were swooning. I can’t keep milk chocolate chips in the house because I’ll eat them all, and I ran out of semisweet, so I ended up using Hershey’s Special Dark chips and they turned out well. I’m going to try them again with some of my precious valrhona cocoa. These were some of the best cookies I’ve baked in a long time.

laura sander November 10, 2008 at 6:22 pm

these cookies don’t taste as good as they look…very bad recipe. I made them twice just to make sure I didn’t do anything wrong…but nope….THEY ARE BAD

Anna November 10, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Hi Laura,

Sorry you didn’t like them :(. I hope you find a recipe you prefer. Why not try the chocolate shock cookies? I linked to them in a recent Top 10. They’re a different type chocolate cookie than these. I’d email you some different chocolate cookie recipes, but you didn’t provide email so I can’t.

danielle August 2, 2011 at 10:05 pm

hi Anna! how r u? it’s been a while! i even post recipes now! lol took me long enough! r u on facebook as well? hope u r doing great!
danielle xo