New Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Welcome back from the weekend and Happy Monday!

To kick things off, here’s a brand new chocolate chip cookie recipe. This is a half batch version based on a recipe by Lee Napoli, a well-loved Boston pastry chef who recently started her own chocolate shop in the South End. Here’s a link to the article which has some great pictures of Lee happily working with melted chocolate. It is also where you will find the full batch original recipe should you find yourself in need of more than 18 cookies.

The cookies were excellent and had what I thought was an interesting taste and texture due to the extra egg yolk. They were puffy, but not cakey and were fairly solid after cooling. Lee says that undercooking (7-9 minutes) will yield a chewier cookie. I might try making a few chewy ones later.

Chocolate Chip Cookie

Lee’s Chocolate Chip Cookie

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 stick
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1/4 c. dark brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
Handful of toasted walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

Melt the butter and pour into a large bowl. When the butter cools to slightly warm, add all three sugars (light brown, dark brown and granulated). Mix well. Beat in the egg and yolk. Mix together the flour, salt and baking soda, then add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until blended. Stir in the vanilla and chopped chocolate or chips.

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheets and bake until nicely browned, about 7 or 8 minutes. Lee notes that it’s always best to slightly underbake cookies so when they cool they remain chewy.

Comments

Yum! One can never have too many chocolate chip cookie recipes… or at least, I can’t. Puffy but not cakey sounds great.

YUM! I’m going to have to try these, as for some reason all my cookies have turned out flat flat flat lately. I even replaced my baking soda and baking powder, but saw no change. If THESE come out flat, I’ll know for sure there’s a problem!

I noticed that when you scaled down your recipe, you still left in the full tablespoon of vanilla.

Do you like a stronger vanilla flavor, or was it a typo?

The reason I am asking you this is because I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies and left out the vanilla – and I think they were almost better!

Either I’ve got super sweet vanilla or I am crazy!

I printed Lee’s recipe last week when someone blogged about the article she’s in. It’s on my list and looks good!

I made some yummy spiced oatmeal raisin cookies today, pretty good! I’ve also made another ccc recipe I found from Canyon Ranch, it’s low fat and not quite what I wanted-very cakey. I only baked six cookies and since the dough is quite soft, I may just add banana, see what I think about the dough and bake them in mini muffin tins. We’ll see!

Lee’s ccc’s look yummy–oh and so did your Black Forest cake from yesterday!

5. Heidi says

Adding the extra egg yolk reminds me of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, the Cook’s Illustrated Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie. Have you tried those (recipe below)? If so, how do they compare?

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
    Recipe from Cooks Illustrated

These truly chewy chocolate chip cookies are delicious served warm from the oven or cooled. To ensure a chewy texture, leave the cookies on the cookie sheet to cool. You can substitute white, milk chocolate, or peanut butter chips for the semi- or bittersweet chips called for in the recipe. In addition to chips, you can flavor the dough with one cup of nuts, raisins, or shredded coconut.

Makes 1-1/2 dozen 3-inch cookies

2-1/8 cups bleached all-purpose flour (2 cups plus 2 tablespoons)
    1/2 teaspoon table salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1-1/2sticks), melted aand cooled slightly
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 large egg
    1 large egg yolk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 cups chocolate chips or chunks (semi or bittersweet)

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in chips.

3. Form scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Holding dough ball using fingertips of both hands, pull into two equal halves. Rotate halves ninety degrees and, with jagged surfaces exposed, join halves together at their base, again forming a single cookie, being careful not to smooth doughuneven surface. Place formed dough onto one of two parchment paper-lined 20-by-14-inch lipless cookie sheets, about nine dough balls per sheet. Smaller cookie sheets can be used, but fewer cookies can be baked at one time and baking time may need to be adjusted. (Dough can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month

Megan, it should be 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. I like vanilla, but not THAT much.

Heidi, thanks for posting that one. I tried the CI recipe a long time ago, but forgot what I thought of it.

7. Michelle W. in Calif. says

Oh, I’ve made that CI recipe, I remember the extra egg yolk! They turned out quite nice.
    I’m game to try today’s recipe too, sounds good!
    I’m stuck home anyway with a cat recovering from surgery! He’s a white cat who got skin cancer on his ears, and had to have much of his ears (most of one and 1/2 of another) surgically trimmed. Poor thing’s got all these stitches! Frankenkitty!! ;-)

Anna,
    I have been reading your blog for a couple of years now and have never commented, but I wanted to say that I tried the chocolate chip cookie recipe today and it was excellent (and I did use 1 full Tablespoon of vanilla!!). I thought it may have been a typo, but wasn’t sure, so in it went (and they still turned out well!). I love that you scale down your recipes as well…I’m currently cooking for two so I don’t feel as guilty when I make a “half” batch from your blog! Thanks for an enjoyable daily read!

Michelle, do you have a picture of your cat??? I want to see Frankenkitty.

Ellyn and Kerry, I am glad you both liked the cookies. Maybe they are even better with 1 T. vanilla!

I saved some of the dough and am going to try to bake some larger ones. For larger ones, I’ll probably reduce the heat to 350 degrees F.

10. Cynthia says

Anna, I am so glad you tried the recipe, and more importantly that you liked them….I thought the recipe sounded good. I definitely will be making these soon.

My husband is diabetic and I try not to tempt him too much. I do bake cookies for my friend’s 92-year old mother… She’s not very adventurous. She loves Snickerdoodles and other basic cookies.

I recently made her the white chocolate chip you posted from Smitten Kitchen. I thought they were fabulous. Mine turned out exactly as described. I used good white chocolate (1 bar Lindt and 1 bar El Rey) and my best Fleur de Sel. She thought they were just OK. She suggested I might use Heath chips next time…Any thoughts?

Yesterday, I made chocolate chip cookies from a recipe copied off of David Lebovitz’s website. It uses mesquite flour and some other unique ingredients. It is fabulous and tastes even better the second day.

Cynthia

Ah how I love a new chocolate chip cookie recipe. It’s just one of those things that I don’t mind trying over and over and over again!!

12. Michelle W. in Calif. says

Anna, I’ll email you a pic, I don’t want to post it here, might put everyone off their cookies!!!

13. Janice says

Anna,
    Teaspoons, really?
    That seems downright Lilliputian after the last efforts;-)

Love this recipe! I made a full batch and love how wonderful they turned out. My kids have raved about these cookies, and so has the husband.

I ran out of brown sugar, but added white sugar and a couple tablespoons of molasses.

Stephanie, that’s great! I was wondering how a little added molasses would work. A lot of people don’t have both light and dark brown sugar around the house, so a small bit of molasses might also be a good add-in for people who only have light.

I baked some more of this cookie dough yesterday and found I liked the cookies better when baked for 12 minutes.

16. Aria Inman says

Anna, I am “hooked” visit your site almost daily.
    You are an inspiration. I AM baking more. Your recipes and comments are NEAT.

Made your One Bowl with Blueberries, ginger, white chocolate,oatmeal cookie recipe. GRAND.

I am NOT using my old collection…I have started a white 3 ring binder with Anna’s Recipes. I am sure the Binder will be filled and used.

Regards, Aria