Small Batch Chocolate Chip Pecan Coconut Cookies

by on June 13, 2008 · 13 comments

The second recipe of the day is adapted from Amanda Hesser’s book Cooking for Mr. Latte. It’s a big cookie, soft with crispy edges, and packed with pecans and chocolate. The original recipe is 3 x this one and uses less salt. My cook times were slightly different than Amanda’s, but that’s not a big issue. Cook times are only suggestions. It’s always best to watch the cookies.

I chilled the dough, but if you are in a hurry, you could probably skip the stint in the refrigerator.

Chocolate Chip Cookie

Small Batch Chocolate Chip Pecan Coconut Cookies

1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 scant teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
6 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips or 8 oz good quality chocolate, cut into small chunks
1/3 cup grated coconut
2/3 cup chopped, toasted pecans (I micro-toasted the pecans for 2 minutes)

If chilling dough, don’t preheat oven quite yet.

Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

Cream butter and both sugars in a mixing bowl; add egg and vanilla and beat until well blended.

With a mixing spoon, stir in flour mixture, followed by chocolate, coconut and pecans.

Chill dough for about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper

Drop dough by generously rounded tablespoons onto two cookie sheets lined with parchment. Press the rounds into circles about ½ to ¾ inch thick.

Bake the cookies for 15 minutes or until they appear set and brown around the edges.

12 large cookies

Published on June 13, 2008

VeggieGirl June 13, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Look at all those melty chocolate chips and pecan pieces!! Heaven.

Clumbsy Cookie June 13, 2008 at 1:49 pm

That is a gorgeous picture!

Digigirl June 13, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Yum! Those look awesome. And what a great picture you took! I’m always in search of The One True Chocolate Chip cookie recipe. You have so many on your site… do you have a favorite?

Claire June 13, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Oh that picture! It just makes me want to make these!

Anna June 13, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Digigirl, I don’t really have a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe because I tend to jump from cookie to cookie. But when I’m in a time crunch and crave chocolate chip cookies, I find myself turning to The Wellesley Cookie Exchange “Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookie”.

They are thin and buttery and satisfy a real chocolate chip craving. However, they are pretty plain in appearance. If I want to make impressive looking cookies, I use the Jacques Torres recipe or an old recipe from Gourmet Magazine or Alton Brown’s “The Chewy”.

Here’s a link to the Gourmet magazine recipe.

The recipe in the photo is also very good, but I make it when I’m craving cookies with coconut.

KAnn June 13, 2008 at 11:43 pm

Anna, is it possible to post the original recipe? I simply love this combination. I need to take a look at my Wellesley Cookie Exchange and glance at the recipe you mention.

mariah June 14, 2008 at 6:16 am

Anna, would that be sweetened or unsweetned coconut that you used…..

TIA

Anna June 14, 2008 at 7:07 am

Hi Mariah,

I knew someone would ask, so I tried the cookies with both. Both were good. I preferred the unsweetened coconut, but the sweetened shredded worked well also.

KAnn, here is the ingredient list. Method is pretty much the same as above.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch sea salt (I use more — about 3/4 to 1 tsp)
2 stick unsalted butter (8 oz)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
24 oz. best-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chunks, shreds and all
2 cups toasted pecan, chopped
1 cup grated coconut

Lily June 14, 2008 at 10:21 am

Those look great. I’ve made the full-batch Amanda Hesser cookies before, and they’re fantastic made with bittersweet chocolate chopped from a bar, as she suggests. Also, my favorite chocolate chip cookie ever is the Barefoot Contessa’s chocolate chunk cookie – if you’ve never tried it, it’s worth baking up a batch.

KAnn June 14, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Thank you so much, Anna! I will try these this week!

katherine June 16, 2008 at 10:40 am

yumm! is there a way to make these veganized with canola oil (for the butter) and applesauce (for the egg)?

Amy March 14, 2011 at 10:18 am

Hi Anna! Made these today as I wanted to use up some coconut. Yummy, but very happy I made your “small batch”, as that is still a lot of cookies! Really good, thanks!

Callista w August 3, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Omg… Just made these soo good! Love them kids do too! I didnt refridgerate I just cooked them after mixing together! Wow