Small Batch Chocolate Chip Pecan Coconut Cookies

The second recipe of the day is adapted from Amanda Hesser’s book Cooking for Mr. Latte. It’s a big cookie, soft with crispy edges, and packed with pecans and chocolate. The original recipe is 3 x this one and uses less salt. My cook times were slightly different than Amanda’s, but that’s not a big issue. Cook times are only suggestions. It’s always best to watch the cookies.

I chilled the dough, but if you are in a hurry, you could probably skip the stint in the refrigerator.

Chocolate Chip Cookie

Small Batch Chocolate Chip Pecan Coconut Cookies

1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 scant teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
6 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips or 8 oz good quality chocolate, cut into small chunks
1/3 cup grated coconut
2/3 cup chopped, toasted pecans (I micro-toasted the pecans for 2 minutes)

If chilling dough, don’t preheat oven quite yet.

Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

Cream butter and both sugars in a mixing bowl; add egg and vanilla and beat until well blended.

With a mixing spoon, stir in flour mixture, followed by chocolate, coconut and pecans.

Chill dough for about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper

Drop dough by generously rounded tablespoons onto two cookie sheets lined with parchment. Press the rounds into circles about ½ to ¾ inch thick.

Bake the cookies for 15 minutes or until they appear set and brown around the edges.

12 large cookies

Comments

Yum! Those look awesome. And what a great picture you took! I’m always in search of The One True Chocolate Chip cookie recipe. You have so many on your site… do you have a favorite?

Digigirl, I don’t really have a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe because I tend to jump from cookie to cookie. But when I’m in a time crunch and crave chocolate chip cookies, I find myself turning to The Wellesley Cookie Exchange “Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookie”.

They are thin and buttery and satisfy a real chocolate chip craving. However, they are pretty plain in appearance. If I want to make impressive looking cookies, I use the Jacques Torres recipe or an old recipe from Gourmet Magazine or Alton Brown’s “The Chewy”.

Here’s a link to the Gourmet magazine recipe.

The recipe in the photo is also very good, but I make it when I’m craving cookies with coconut.

3. KAnn says

Anna, is it possible to post the original recipe? I simply love this combination. I need to take a look at my Wellesley Cookie Exchange and glance at the recipe you mention.

Hi Mariah,

I knew someone would ask, so I tried the cookies with both. Both were good. I preferred the unsweetened coconut, but the sweetened shredded worked well also.

KAnn, here is the ingredient list. Method is pretty much the same as above.

3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    pinch sea salt (I use more — about 3/4 to 1 tsp)
    2 stick unsalted butter (8 oz)
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    3 large eggs
    24 oz. best-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chunks, shreds and all
    2 cups toasted pecan, chopped
    1 cup grated coconut

5. Lily says

Those look great. I’ve made the full-batch Amanda Hesser cookies before, and they’re fantastic made with bittersweet chocolate chopped from a bar, as she suggests. Also, my favorite chocolate chip cookie ever is the Barefoot Contessa’s chocolate chunk cookie – if you’ve never tried it, it’s worth baking up a batch.

6. katherine says

yumm! is there a way to make these veganized with canola oil (for the butter) and applesauce (for the egg)?

Hi Anna! Made these today as I wanted to use up some coconut. Yummy, but very happy I made your “small batch”, as that is still a lot of cookies! Really good, thanks!

8. Callista w says

Omg… Just made these soo good! Love them kids do too! I didnt refridgerate I just cooked them after mixing together! Wow