Very Low Fat Bran Pineapple Muffins

Fuzz bounced back from whatever it was that made her sick yesterday. My guess is it was a combination of heat and drinking too fast, but I’m really not sure. She’s as energetic as usual today, spent a lot of time jumping on the trampoline and went on two field trips.

While she was at camp, I took a field trip to Pet Smart to buy a gadget called Comfort Zone. You plug it into the wall and it emits a magical dog-relaxing pheromone which soothes stressed canines. Lizzie’s not stressed during the day, but the past couple of nights have been hard on her because no one wants to play at 3 and 5 AM. I hate hearing her cry and have given in, but I don’t think it’s doing either of us any good.

So I’m feeling kind of zombie-like and not very ambitious about baking. I did manage to pull together a quick batch of muffins, though. This is an old low fat recipe I adapted from a book called “Secrets of Fat Free Baking”. Out of all the recipes in the book, it’s my very favorite. The muffins taste healthy, but they aren’t rubbery or weird like some fat free muffins and they have a great flavor. They’re fairly large and thanks to all the fiber and pineapple, only have 106 calories each….or at least that’s what the book says. They have 4.8 grams of protein and almost 5 grams fiber. Not bad!

bran pineapple muffins

Very Low Fat Bran-Pineapple Muffins

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups skim milk (I used reduced fat)
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed or date sugar
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, undrained
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large egg whites

Combine pastry flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and stir very well to mix.

Combine milk, wheat bran, brown sugar, pineapple and vanilla in a large bowl and let sit for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

With a mixing spoon, beat egg whites into bran mixture. Add flour mixture and stir until incorporated.

Divide batter evenly among muffin cups and bake for 18 minutes

Comments

1. Kelly says

Don’t give in, don’t give in!Here is my advice as I just trained a puppy not too long ago. If I left him in his crate in another room he would scream in the middle of the night. I put his crate right next to my bed and he was fine. He just wanted to be near me. If she’s not jumping yet you can just use the bottom part of the crate, and not leave the lid on so she can see you. Puppies need to feel secure or they will cry. Good luck! :) Love your baking!

2. Carole R. says

Tht pheramonr thing didn’t do a thing to settle Velcro down. She doestn’t mind sleeping in the crate. In fact, I think she likes the sevurity. Once all the lights are off she goes to sleep. Before that she is afraid that she will miss some (any) activity which she thinks she should b included.

It’s been a long time since I had a puppy, so I can’t give any advice. But it would be hard to say no to that face. That being said, my son breeds and trains dogs. He says dogs try to dominate in any way they can. Good luck.

Mmmm, these are just what I was looking for! I had one of the delicious bran pear and ginger muffins from farmgirl fare and I was wondering how to reduce the oil as I imagined it didnt make any difference. I think I’ll try these ones out soon!! Thanks.

5. HeartofGlass21 says

Anna, I’m a vegetarian who can’t tolerate much dairy, so I really appreciate these past healthy recipes.

I’m just learning to bake but I do have some dog/puppy advice:

1. Give an old shirt to your dog to sleep on that smells like you or your daughter–dogs are wonderfully comforted by smells. That way someone from the family is always ‘there’ for the dog.

2. For very small dogs still used to their mother’s heartbeat, a (quietly) ticking clock can also help–I haven’t tried this myself, but others swear by it.

3. Re: chewing–it’s physical (teething) as well as behavioral, and if you wait, it will go away (my dog shredded everything while young, and suddenly stopped). To give them toys, have a bunch, but don’t give them all at once. Give them a couple, then replace them with others, so when they get bored you can pull a ‘new’ one out of your stash.

4. Kong toys are invaluable–hard, rubber circular toys that you can put small treats in that fall out as they chew or play with them, keep their mind busy, or you can fill with peanut butter for them to suck on. Puppies love peanut butter, so putting peanut butter in a hollow bone is great for them to suck, too.

5. Other mental games, for the day–playing with a ‘light pen’ or small flashlight, some dogs like to play with the light (similar to a ball to fetch. My dog also is occasionally suprised the television if there are barking dogs on the TV, and I do know some dogs that like to watch TV believe it or not…

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been vegan, vegetarian? Your vegan and super healthy recipes are so much better than blogs that specialize in those types of diets!

6. Janet says

I love all these recipes you are sharing using different flours. I purchased a ton of different flours and put them in the freezer for later use. I bought the flours after you introduced us to King Arthur Whole Grain baking book. Of course, that is as far as I got;-) lol Now you just keep enticing us with all these wonderful looking photos using the whole grains…thank you! Better get baking!

Thanks for all these tips! I really appreciate it. All of the training is going well and the chewing and nipping isn’t much of a problem anymore. She’s not biting toes and if I give her a toy, she’ll chew on that instead of something off limits. She doesn’t mind giving up the bad thing for a toy.

She does have a crate set up next to our bed and she’ll sleep there in the day, but her favorite room is the bathroom off the living room where her other crate is set up. That’s where she goes to get away from noise or nap, and that’s where she likes to be in the evening. I think she just gets frustrated when everyone is asleep and there’s no one to play with.

I am going to try giving her another shirt or piece of clothing. We did that at first and she liked it.

Last night was a lot better. I think the Comfort Zone did something, because there was very little crying.

8. Anonymous says

Hi Anna! I love your website. I did a quick calculation on these muffins and got about 120 calories each using skim milk and pineapple packed in juice. I bet they would be even better with some added vanilla flavor protein powder and replacing about half the sugar with splenda and adding some molasses. (for people who are watching calories and looking to eat more protein, at least!)

Yayy…a love seeing lower fat/calorie muffins.

I learned the hard way with one of my dogs. When the second one was added, I didn’t make the same mistakes – I let him cry. Now the first one follows me everywhere and gets total separation anxiety when I leave and the second one is so independent and not at all needy.

10. Shannon says

Hi Anna,

I have a question maybe you can help answer: can oat bran be substituted for wheat bran (in this recipe and/or in others calling for wheat bran)?

I always have oat bran on hand because I eat it for breakfast pretty often, but wheat bran is not something I usually buy. If they can be substituted for one another that would be much more convenient for me.

Thanks for any help and keep blogging, I love your site!

Hi Shannon,

I’ve never tried making these with oat bran and am not quite sure it would work. You could try it.

I usually forget to buy wheat bran, but when I do buy it, I get it out of the bulk bin and purchase just what I need. If you have a health food store or live near a Whole Foods, you could try doing that.

12. Jennifer says

I love your site! This recipe is exactly what i’ve been looking for! I was wondering though, I only have oat bran and cream of wheat in my house. Can I use one of those instead of wheat bran or should I just go out and buy some? I also think im going to add some shredded carrot and cinnamon to make it healthy and tastier too! Let me know what you think

Hi Jennifer!

Thanks for the comment :).

I think you should go out and buy wheat bran so you’ll have an idea of what the muffins are supposed to be like. After that, you can experiment. I am just not sure oat brand would work.