Another Post Without Any Photos

by on July 19, 2008 · 14 comments

Hello Cookie Pals!

And yes, I am still here.  For those just catching up, I’ve been in San Francisco attending a conference for bloggers in the BlogHer network – a group of people, mostly women, who write about all sorts of topics.  There are a handful of food bloggers here including my friends Kalyn, Kath and now Lydia, but I’ve also had a good time getting know gardeners, mom bloggers, sex bloggers, super-funny bloggers and women who are really into politics.  Despite our differences in expertise, we’re all here to learn how to be better photographers and writers….and if you want to get deep about it, people who chronicle life via blogging.  One of the best things I’ve taken from this conference was from a blogger who said, during a keynote speech, that we don’t do this because there’s something in life that’s lacking – it’s because we want to hold on to it and have so much to share.  And that’s how I feel about blogging, even though I do it through cookies.

And being cookie crazy has other advantages.  For instance, the people who read Cookie Madness are smart, friendly, and giving people. One reader, Katy, brought me fresh baked cookies and gave me a tour of the San Francisco Farmers’ Market.  And then there are all of you who gave me tips on navigating the city.  After the comments from the past week, I am convinced that I have the best readers in the world.

That being said, I’m feeling bad about not having photos or cookies this weekend.  I will post some when I get home to Photoshop.  Fuzz’s clunky laptop keeps crashing when I try to edit photos.

Published on July 19, 2008

chigiy July 19, 2008 at 11:28 pm

I hear that the garden bloggers were the most fun at the conference. I had a great time last night. It was wonderful getting to know you and having dinner with you. I’ll be keeping an eye on the cookie front. Have fun in SF. I’ll see you in cyberspace.

Janet July 20, 2008 at 5:44 am

Have a terrific time…I am sure all your readers miss you and your fantastic recipes/photos…but are happy that you are having a great time! Are you wearing a sweater in SF? Every time I visited there it was misty and cool;-) Have fun!

VeggieGirl July 20, 2008 at 6:06 am

Such fun!

Sue July 20, 2008 at 7:36 am

Hi Anna!

I’m glad you’ve connected with some other bloggers at the conference, and I’m especially glad that you have a reader as caring as Katy to bring you cookies and take you on a tour! It sounds like this will end up having been a great experience.

giz July 20, 2008 at 7:40 am

There should be more of these blogging conferences. What a great opportunity to not only meet and schmooze with other bloggers but the learning is so worth it. How many of us struggle (I know I do) with getting the right picture, making our blog interesting enough, etc etc. I’m looking forward to you sharing your tips.

Anybody who brings you cookies is okay in my books.

judi0044 July 20, 2008 at 7:49 am

Great – glad you made some connections and photos can wait. I made your ice box pistachio dessert Wed. for a meeting and it was a big hit with our current heat and humidity spell.

Anna July 20, 2008 at 8:41 am

Chigiy, the rumor is true!

Janet, I brought some warm clothes, but not enough of them. It is really cold here both inside and out. The hotel is freezing….except for certain meeting rooms which are hot. I’m convinced this hotel is haunted.

VG, Sue and Giz. BlogHer has quite a few of these conferences but this is the biggest one.

Judi, thanks for the icebox dessert report!

Kalyn July 20, 2008 at 8:47 am

Anna, it was so fun meeting you in person after reading your blog for so long. I agree, it’s just so fun meeting othr bloggers. I hope to get to talk to you more today too.

Katie July 20, 2008 at 8:53 am

I just found your blog–it’s great! I love to bake so it’s always exciting to find a new blog with recipes to try out. My husband and I go to SF in 2 weeks for our anniversary. I’m wondering if you might post more about your adventures–food or otherwise while you’re still there. We’re looking for any insider tips!
and note taken about your incident in Chinatown–that’s happened to me so many times with my camera. beautiful food is so hard to resist capturing!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) July 20, 2008 at 11:25 am

Great fun to meet you in person and share some time at BlogHer!

runjess July 20, 2008 at 3:31 pm

First time posting on here, but I just wanted to say that you are doing an amazing job. I’ve made several recipes on this site because of your recommendations and photos, most recently the Chewy, Fudgy Brownies from Recipezaar. Your Nutella Cheesecake Bars are to die for.

And you’re from Austin and so am I. Cool!

Debbie G July 20, 2008 at 6:19 pm

I never realized how much fun a food blog can be. My blog is fairly new and I am having a blast just starting out. I love your site and know that I can count on seeing a new recipe every day! Thanks Anna for a very, very enjoyable read each day!!!

Amy D. July 21, 2008 at 6:12 am

I wish I were there! I must read about 30 blogs regularly and I know that many of the moms bloggers I read are there at your hotel…how fun! It makes me want to blog.
I hope you are having a super time and I completely empathized with your social nervousness. Glad you stuck it out!

Cindi July 21, 2008 at 4:58 pm

It was so nice to meet you Saturday! Thanks for walking over to the cocktail party with me. By that time, I was pretty burnt out, even though I had a great time at BlogHer. I went home and immediately collapsed on the coach. Look forward to trying some of your recipes! Stay in touch.