Cheesecake Notes

Based on the results of the previous cheesecake, my next cheesecake is going to be this recipe from allrecipes.com. Or at least the filling – I will stick with my usual graham cracker crust.

The reason I think the allrecipes.com cheesecake looks better is that it has a higher initial temp (for browning), a full hour at 200 degrees, plus extra time in a CLOSED oven. I think the extra cooking plus the additional egg yolks will make for a dense and stiffer cheesecake. Plus, with 198 reviews and 5 stars, one would have to really work hard to screw it up, right?

The only problem with this cheesecake is it has no flavorings. So for the next cheesecake, I’ll stick with the following:

1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon each orange and lemon extract

Plus all the tips David gave in his instructions, such as letting the cheesecake batter sit for 5-10 minutes before cooking and being careful not to get too much air into the batter were good ones.

Also, here’s a picture of Fuzz and Lizzie. Hey, it’s Saturday! Why not?

Fuzz and Lizzie

Comments

1. Sue says

Nice photo of Fuzz and Lizzie! Lizzie is growing fast!

Do you have Rose Levy Beranbaum’s Christmas Cookies book? She has a recipe for mini cheesecakes that we adore. They’re the perfect size for having “just a bite”. They’re really cute too.

2. Rina says

I’m impressed with the lack of cracks, the cheesecake looked great! I agree about liking a denser/stiffer vs. creamier cheesecake. You are probably right about the egg yolks making a difference. Have you ever tried “Chantal’s NY Cheesecake” from allrecipes.com? I think the sour cream vs. heavy cream may also add density…but just a guess!

3. Therese B. says

Oh how I wish I could be living in your neighborhood and being your official taste-tester of all the yummy treats!

Creamy version of your cheesecake looked fabulous! I like ANY version of cheesecake!

I should send you my oreo cookie cheesecake…it is fab…with a chocolate ganache on top….over the top yummy!!!

However….a plain cheesecake is in a realm all it’s own…yummy and you can add a topping…strawberries…raspberries…oh…my mouth is watering!!!! What about a dose of that cool whip!!! oh..yum!

Carole, when I tell Fuzz Lizzie is her sister, she says “No, Lizzie is a dog.”.

Sue and Veggiegirl, I posted this so you all could see how fast she was growing :). She looks really big when she’s all stretched out like that ;).

Sue, no. I don’t have that book. Is there something that distinguishes those mini cheesecakes from other mini cheesecakes? I have a lot of mini cheesecake recipes.

Katrina, I don’t know. We have to eat this one first. Or I could give it to the neighbors. It’s actually really, REALLY good. I just prefer a denser cheesecake. However, I think my notes make it seem like I didn’t like this one. Maybe I will give it to the neighbors because I need and objective opinion.

Rina, I tried Chantal’s a long time ago. I can’t remember what I thought about it but I think I did like it.

Therese, do you use Southern Living’s Oreo Cheesecake recipe? I’m wondering because my step sister in law made that one year for Christmas and it was crazy-good.

Frankly, I’m all about plain cheesecake right now.

5. Sue says

I’ve sent you the recipe so you can decide for yourself. I can tell you that they’re dense tasty little treats! And everyone whose ever had them seems to love them.

6. HeartofGlass says

I know what you mean about dense cheesecake–I’m not much of a cheesecake person, but when I do eat it, I like it to feel very substantial and toothsome, not like you could spread it. The graham cracker crust is really my favorite part, though.

Check out this cheesecake (and this blog, which I love)

Wow, Lizzie is getting so big already! I used to have a corgi and as a pup he would get chubby and then get longer! It was hilarious!

Sue, thanks for sending me the recipe! I will email you my thoughts.

Heart of Glass, Peabody has a great blog! That particular cheesecake doesn’t look like the type of cheesecake that you say you like. When you say substantial and toothsome. That cheesecake looks creamy and soft….softer than the one I just made. I’m sure if Peabody says it’s good, it’s really fabulous.

Becca, that’s exactly what Lizzie’s growth pattern is like. She goes from looking kind of chubby to longer and lean.

Judy, thanks for the reminder about Chantal’s cheesecake.

9. Therese B. says

Anna!

Yes…it is the Southern Living recipe for that oreo cheesecake recipe. There are only a few places I trust that the recipes will be dependable/true/great. Southern Living, Taste of Home and your website!
    I have made a lot of cheesecakes and the oreo cheesecake recipe is right on “dyno-mite”…sorry, JJ Walker reference.

10. ling says

Anna, your cheesecake looks gorgeous! And love the photo of Fuzz & Lizzie.

Mmmm… that oreo cheesecake sounds good (heh! been on a oreo-anything kick lately).

Therese, would you be able to post the recipe here in the comments so I can give it a try? Thanks so much!

Ling, Therese may or may not see this, so I will try to get you that recipe. It’s from The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook and the title of the recipe is “Chocolate Cookie Cheesecake”.

I can’t type it up right now, but will get to it later. If I forget, shoot me a reminder email at [email protected].

12. Derek says

I usually make a cheesecake with this method, 500 for 8-10 minutes, just until starting to turn brown, then I cut it to 225 for 1.5-2 hrs. The recipe: 5-8 oz blocks + 1 3/4 C sugar creamed. I also use lemon and orange zest and the juice of the lemon only in my cheesecake and a ton of vanilla, 2 tbsp. or 2 vanilla beans (MUCH BETTER) if I have them on hand. I don’t use sour cream, I don’t like the flavor. I use Heavy cream, 1/2 Cup, and 6 whole egg and 2 yolks. I scrape the bowl at least 5 times, but I keep the speed low after creaming the sugar and Cream Cheese. I will omit the flour if I’m feeling lucky, but if not I’ll add a tbsp cornstarch. After I pour the batter over the crust I’ll DROP the pan about 4-5 inches a few times and run a knife through it in a ‘S’ pattern to chop out all the air bubbles and repeat. I don’t cook in a water bath, I bake it over a large pan of boiling H2O. The moisture and the low temp is enough to hold back the cracks. I let it cook in the oven, cracked open, for 30-60 minutes.
    Crust: I like LOTS of crust. 3 C Graham crumbs, 9-10 tbsp butter, 1/2 C sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon mixed. Parbaked and cooled. Sent you a pic of my Cheesecake.. everytime no fail!

13. Yvonne says

Hey–
    She’s growing up so fast–Fuzz, I mean… What a nice young lady you have and I’m so glad she likes cheesecake, too. I love your cookie blog–I read it every day.
    -=^..^=-
    Yvonne

14. Therese B. says

Hi!

Here is the Chocolate Cookie (OREO) Cheesecake Recipe;

2 cups Oreo Cookie Crumbs (20 cookies)
    2 Tablespoons Butter, melted
    1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    4 (8 oz.) pkgs. Cream cheese, softened
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1/3 cup whipping cream
    2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    4 Large eggs
    2 cups coarsely crumbled oreos (14 cookies)
    1 16 oz. Sour cream
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/3 cup whipping cream
    1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine the first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; firmly press mixture evenly in bottom and 2 inches up sides of lighly greased 10-inch springform pan. Bake at 325 for 12 minutes; set aside.
    Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add 1 1/4 cups sugar; beating well. Add 1/3 cup whipping cream, flour and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
    Pour 3 1/2 cups of batter into prepared crust. Top with crumbled cookies; pour in remaining batter. Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
    Combine sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla; spread over cheesecake. Bake at 325 for 7 minutes. Turn oven off, and leave cheesecake in oven with door closed 45 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and chill 8 hours. Remove sides of pan.
    Combine 1/3 cup whipping cream and semi-sweet chocolate morsels in a saucepan; stir over low heat until chocolate melts. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Remove from heat.
    Carefully spread mixture over cheesecake, allowing it to drip down sides. Store cheesecake in refrigerator. Garnish with additional broken oreos, if desired.
    12 servings.

I HAVE MADE THIS CHEESCAKE 4 TIMES WITHIN THE LAST SEVERAL MONTHS…A WINNER ALL THE WAY AROUND!!!! I give it a personal 5 star rating.
    You can’t go wrong with a Southern Living recipe! The chocolate on the top (ganache-like), firms up and is a little difficult to cut…just a heads up on that. Use a sharp knife to cut. ENJOY!!!!