Chocolate Oat Chippers

by on July 30, 2008 · 11 comments

The second cookie of the day (which I made while the bars were baking) is adapted from Bon Appetit where it goes by the name of No-Fail Chocolate Chippers. I made a half batch and think the cookies taste much more like oatmeal cookies than chocolate chip, but they are still very good. People on Epicurious thought so too. Reviews here.

I used a bit more chocolate than called for and would do that again!

And finally, these cookies don’t have a ton of butter so I think it would be pretty easy to convert them to vegan. You could use shortening instead of butter and maybe an egg replier (N-rgy) for the egg. A quarter cup of applesauce might work as an egg replacer too. Hmmmmm. Now I suddenly want to try the vegan version.

Chocolate Oat Chippers

1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
4 oz milk chocolate, chopped into chunks
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Grind oats in processor. Add flour, baking soda and salt and pulse to mix.
Cream butter and both sugars in a medium bowl. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in walnuts and both types of chocolate.
Using about 2 tablespoons of dough, form dough into balls and place on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 12 minutes. Cool on sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to racks; cool completely.
Makes about 15 cookies

Published on July 30, 2008

VeggieGirl July 30, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Wow, you baked these cookies WHILE the apricot bars were baking?? Sounds like you’re having a bake-a-thon, haha :0)

The City Sage July 30, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Oh geez, this photo is making me hungry. Look at all that luscious melted chocolate!

Katrina July 30, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Looks good. I just made some similar cookies today, have some granola that no one will eat here that I decided to use. So instead of oats, used the oatmeal. Pretty good cookies!

Carrie July 30, 2008 at 1:09 pm

Yum. You can send the extras my way.

Cherie July 30, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Yum! You’re a busy lady today!!

Emiline July 30, 2008 at 1:56 pm

The stars are shining down on these cookies.

Therese B. July 30, 2008 at 2:04 pm

I just ran out of the oatmeal raisin…and my son came home last nite from his friends house claiming ANOTHER mom makes cookies as good as my recipes from Miss Ginsberg….WHAT??? This is just asking for a Bobby Flay type throwdown…it’s okay..I know this mom and she would laugh!!
I have got to get to baking before I loose my title of cookie queenie in my hoodie! tee hee!

I am making these right now!

bakingblonde July 31, 2008 at 5:59 am

I love oatmeal cookies so the fact that these taste like one would be a plus for me! I totally get what your saying though when all you want is a good Chocolate Chip cookie with nice flavor and texture and you end up with a good cookie but not a “Chocoalte Chip” cookie.

LOVE the recipes and pics, keep them coming!

jeanine July 31, 2008 at 6:49 am

What do you think about substituting White Whole Wheat Flour?? Will I have to adjust any of the ingredients amounts (i.e. Butter)???

Anna July 31, 2008 at 7:05 am

Jeanine, I think it would work well. The cookies might be a tiny bit dryer, but if the batter seems to dry you could just add a little water to it. Let us know if you try it.

Randi August 2, 2008 at 10:54 am

I made these yesterday because I got an order for 2 doz cookies( in dough form). I scooped them and IQF’d them. I baked off a few and I thought they were really good. I always like cookie recipes that call for 1 stick of butter( I make more $$ that way). I personally think those NYT cookies are too greasy.