Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares

by on July 28, 2008 · 19 comments

I’m giving blood today, so I’ve decided to be proactive and eat the cookies beforehand. The sweeter they are, the better my chances of staving off dizziness, right? What? That’s ridiculous? Are you saying I’m going to be drinking Delaware Punch and eating Chips Ahoy with everyone else? Well, we’ll see about that.

This recipe is from old Taste of Home Halloween magazine – not the October issue, but the special Halloween magazine they put out in around August. If you are familiar with the TOH Halloween magazine, then you know TOH puts all the best stuff there. I never them throw them away.

As for these cookies, they are very good, but not particularly scary. That is, unless you are scared of Canada, because what they will remind you of is Nanaimo bars. They have a crumbly crust, a sweet creamy middle and a rich chocolate topping. And while they are in a Halloween magazine, they are perfect for July because they don’t require baking. I guess Taste of Home saves them for October because no one worries about calories in October.

Here’s the recipe. Mine don’t look much like TOH’s, but they were still good.

Need a substitute for wheat germ? You can use about 3/4 cup Wheaties. Crush or process them along with the graham crackers. I know this works because that’s what I used.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares

Published on July 28, 2008

Joe July 28, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Good for you for giving blood! Even though I would love to, sadly, we are not “allowed”… maybe someday!

I love the layering in these bars and that hint of coconut in the crust sounds tasty!

Anna July 28, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Joe, I had no idea. There must be a lot of controversy around that topic.

VeggieGirl July 28, 2008 at 2:07 pm

Those bars look insanely good.

Kimberly July 28, 2008 at 2:25 pm

I am delurking to ask: What is “Delaware Punch”? I live in Delaware and I have never heard of it.

Lori July 28, 2008 at 2:37 pm

HA! I love that – an excuse to eat cookies. “But honey, I have to eat these cookies, I’m going to be giving blood!” Whatever works…

sizzle July 28, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Peanut butter and chocolate- the most delicious combo!

Karen July 28, 2008 at 3:13 pm

As a former recipient of blood, I am no longer able to give. I think the policies need to be revisited for people like Joe and people like me who are now healthy.
Anyway, as a former recipient (of 6 units, in January 2007) I am very grateful to blood donors, so THANK YOU ANNA.

Anna July 28, 2008 at 3:16 pm

Kimberly, thank you for asking ;).

Delaware punch is this strange Southern fruit punch that I’ve only had maybe three times in my life. Two times at gas stations on road trips, and then one time while donating blood about 8 years ago. For some reason, the Austin Blood Bank served Delaware punch. It has a very unusual (but memorable) flavor and it reminds me of being a kid.

I’ll bet they don’t even serve it any more…or at least not in mobile blood units.

Hmmmmm. Now that I think about it, Delaware Punch is sort of the color of blood. Maybe it was the blood bank’s idea of a joke.

Meryl July 28, 2008 at 3:40 pm

These sound great. I usually don’t have wheat germ in the house – what can I use as a substitute?

Randi July 28, 2008 at 3:55 pm

I’m not allowed either( because I’m on a certain type of medication). No biggie as I’m poked enough.

Why would someone be scared of Canada? LOL. I live here and sometimes I’m scared of the people because they actually have zero taste in food( especially where i live)

Debbi July 28, 2008 at 4:59 pm

What does the wheat germ do for the crust? Besides being healthy of course. Does it add a lot of flavor? I’ve never cooked with wheat germ before.

Anna July 28, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Debbi, it just adds flavor and texture. If you don’t have wheat germ, you could used crushed Wheaties instead.

Anna July 28, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Meryl, I just added a note about Wheaties. I used Wheaties in place of wheat germ and they worked very well. If you don’t normally buy Wheaties, you could use them in these and in the Wheaties cookies I posted the other day.

Karen, I didn’t know former donors couldn’t donate (boo), but it is good hearing from someone who actually used donor blood.

Randi, it’s Texas you should be scared of. Yeeeeeehawwwww!

Sorry. I’m done with blood and am a little loopy. It was really easy and I didn’t even need to eat the cookies. I guess the peanut butter squares worked. Sadly, there was no Delaware punch.

Michelle W. in Calif. July 28, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Personally, I usually have orange juice and a Zinger at the little “donor concession area” after donating! I’m going this weekend, there’s a “Pint for Pint” drive. (give a pint, get a coupon for a free pint of Baskin-Robbins!) I give all year though, not ONLY when they offer free stuff! ;-)
My sister’s moving to Texas….she says the nearest big city is Longview.
Oh yeah, those bars look yummy!!! Nothing better than peanut butter & chocolate!

Ginny July 28, 2008 at 8:07 pm

LOVE your site! I check here often. Thanks for always providing wonderful recipes!

bakingblonde July 28, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Oh be still my heart! You had me at Peanut Butter. Do they hold up well at room temp or will they need to be chilled due to the filling?

Anna July 28, 2008 at 9:33 pm

I kept mine chilled. They actually seemed better after a few hours of chilling.

Cindy July 29, 2008 at 3:17 am

Weren’t Wheaties health food? Yet another reason to make these! ;)

Terri July 29, 2008 at 5:35 am

These look great – I will have to add them to my collection of ones to try. Glad you reminded me about donating blood. I had minor surgery earlier this year, so I wasn’t able to donate, but I think I’m now clear to. A pint of Baskin Robbins would be even more incentive to donate! :)