Meringue Topped White Chocolate Brownies with Raspberries

Happy Post-Holiday Weekend!

We hosted a couple of play dates, took walks with Lizzie, and attended a party at some friends’ house. It also happened to the 10th anniversary of our marriage, so Todd & I celebrated with a good bottle of wine.

Now things are back to normal. Fuzz headed off to vacation bible school and I’m home cleaning up and baking. Since I had time to focus, I decided to make what appeared to be a brilliant variation on white chocolate brownies — a raspberry studded meringue topped white chocolate brownie from Dorie Greenspan’s book, Baking From My Home to Yours.

If you don’t have the book, here’s a link to the recipe. But hey. Buy the book!

The brownies are quite different and the meringue adds a unique touch. The only problem is, thanks to the meringue topping, it’s hard to tell when the brownies are done. Mine took 40 minutes and they still seem kind of soft. Hopefully, they’ll firm up.

White Chocolate Brownies

Comments

Sounds like you had quite a fun weekend; and happy belated anniversary!! May you two have many, many MORE anniversaries to come :0)

Oooh, those certainly ARE a brilliant variation on white-chocolate brownies – gorgeous!

2. Joanna says

This is a really creative recipe. I think the softer the brownie, the better. I like mine pretty chewy (not raw). haha Yours turned out really beautiful though.

Happy 10 years! I have Dorie’s Baking book and I am in love with it. I just made her lemon poppyseed muffins this morning! Definitely a cookbook worth having!

4. Shannon says

Anna,

Are white chocolate brownies different than blondies?

BTW, I made the recipe you posted for Very Low Fat Pineapple Bran Muffins using wheat bran (I had asked if oat bran could be substituted, but just decided to go with wheat bran anyway) and they came out great, very moist!

I also recently made your recipe for a small batch (loaf pan) of fudge brownies. They came out very dense and fudgey, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for all the great recipes!

Thanks for all the anniversary wishes. I guess we’ve done pretty well for a couple who married after 3 months of dating! I think we are going to try to head to The Bahamas to celebrate sometime soon. Anyone been to Atlantis lately?

About the blondies. Shannon, I don’t make a lot of white chocolate brownies, but the ones I’ve made have had a very distinct taste and texture. Like the others, these are softer and more tender. I need to post a different photo because they look better now that they’ve set.

That being said, I think I prefer the old standy rasbperry bar recipe made famous via many contests.

Happy Anniversary. Mine is tomorrow. We’re going off for five days together in Canada. Can’t wait. These bars look great. I’m very partial to bar cookies, due to my indolent nature. I’ve got the book and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Holy smokes! Did you say 3 months of dating? I love that – I think it’s great. So spontaneous.

The white chocolate brownies look delicious. I just bought that book, so I’ll have to try them.
    Maybe Dorie has a hot oven?

Ooo I’ve seen these in Dorie’s book and want to make them! I love the idea of meringue on top of a brownie. Yours look delicious!

What a great recipe – you should head over to Greedy Gourmet’s blog and enter it in her Snack Shot #5 which is all about meringue. Yours is a winner.

10. Sue says

Congratulations to you and Todd!!
    I shouldn’t be looking at food blogs since I had another bad food related experience this weekend, but old habits are hard to break and I love your blog.

These bars look really great! I can’t help but wonder about putting the meringue on before the batter is baked. Who am I to question Dorie Greenspan!!?!! Or Anna for that matter!!?!! But, when I think of Baked Alaska, where the meringue actually insulates the filling it’s no wonder to me that there is a possiblity of the batter seeming a bit undercooked. I wonder how they would turn out if you baked them before applying the meringue, and then again briefly after applying the meringue. If you try it, let me know. I’m curious! I’d love to try it myself, but I won’t go there!!

11. T. Martin says

Congrats Anna & Todd!!! Was it just last year that Todd made the Sushi dinner to celebrate?

This is a really intriguing recipe. Isn’t there something about not making meringue on days that it is cloudy? I remember Alton Brown saying something about making meringue once on Good Eats.

Happy Anniversary! I keep eyeing that recipe every time I flip through the brownie section. I love baking with fresh raspberries; they’re great in muffins.

A tardy congrats…! Catching up on blog posts I missed over the July 4th weekend.

These look great. We just read an article about raspberries being one of 10 perfect foods. Well, what better way to get an intake of raspberries than white chocolate brownies?! Ahhh….