One Bowl Ginger, Blueberry, White Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies

by on July 11, 2008 · 17 comments

Today’s cookie is on the healthy side. It tastes good too, and even won a prize in one of Eating Well Magazine’s holiday cookie contests! I’ve played with the recipe over the years and have streamlined it a bit. These days, I make the cookies in one bowl.

blueberry white chocolate cookies

Ginger, Blueberry, White Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies

MAKES 20 COOKIES

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed (I use dark)
1/2 teaspoon each — baking soda and salt
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oats, quick cooking or old fashioned, not instant
2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup dried blueberries
1/4 cup crystallized ginger

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Whisk together oil, egg, vanilla and brown sugar. Stir in salt, baking soda, wheat germ and ground ginger. Add flour and stir until blended. Stir in oats, white chocolate, berries and ginger. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool

Published on July 11, 2008

Katrina July 11, 2008 at 12:52 pm

These looks really good and I love that they are healthy. I don’t have dried blueberries right now but actually have some fresh ones I’ve been wondering what to do with. Do you think they would be too wet and be mushy or make the cookie too moist?

Ashley July 11, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Woah yum check out those cookies!

Anna July 11, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Katrina, I always use dried fruit. Do you have any dried cranberries?

Katrina July 11, 2008 at 1:44 pm

I do have dried cranberries. Maybe I’ll try that. I have a white choc. bar, which I don’t very often have, so maybe I’ll try these tomorrow. About to make another 1/2 batch of the NY Times cookies to share with some visiting company. Gotta get the dough a chillin’.
My husband only likes blueberries in a good muffin. Guess I’ll try those for the a.m.
Do you have a favorite muffin recipe? I know you have some on your site, I haven’t been able to sit down and hunt through them yet.

HoneyB July 11, 2008 at 1:46 pm

They look delicious to me! So do your hermits below!

Clumbsy Cookie July 11, 2008 at 3:13 pm

I adore cristalized ginger! And of course you’ve used my favourite expression,”one bowl”! You should get a One Bowl category on your search bar on the left. You know, just for me…

VeggieGirl July 11, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Delicious AND healthy?? Score!!

Cathy - www.wheresmydamnanswer.com July 11, 2008 at 4:02 pm

I am a 1 bowl girl as well – If you put that category on your search bar you will have me as a loyal follower as well. These look great – do you ship??? :)
Happy Friday
Cheers
Cathy

Anna July 11, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Katrina, I don’t have a favorite muffin. I jump from muffin to muffin.

I’ve added a One Bowl category.

HeartofGlass July 11, 2008 at 4:25 pm

They interviewed the author of the Times cookie article on July 10th on my local talk radio station program “Food Talk”
He said he gained weight researching the article, but it was worth it! Your cookies look like they’d be fantastic with any dried fruit or even toffee chips–I love ginger!

Hannah July 11, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Ouh these look really good!
I’ll have to try them sometime!

Hannah

Janet July 12, 2008 at 5:08 am

The verdict is in…..my batch of The New York Times cookies came out of my oven last night…WOW, really great texture, taste, and appearance. Several neighbors had dropped over and everyone got warm HUGE 3 1/2 ounce cookies to sample. Rave reviews all around…thanks for leading us into “temptation” once again;-) lol

beth July 12, 2008 at 6:00 am

Like the sound ofthese ‘healthy cookies!! – makes you feel so much better about eating them!

Noble Pig July 12, 2008 at 9:26 am

These look delicious, love that white chunk chocolate.

Clumbsy Cookie July 12, 2008 at 11:48 am

Thanks Anna, you’re the best!

Laurelg1 July 12, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Question – Hope you still read yesterdays posts comments…
Do you usually use dark brown sugar in your cookies? (i.e. chocolate chip)

Just curious. When I make blondies, I like to use dark, as it gives them a richer flavor with the chocolate chips…especially dark chocolate…

Love your recipes and site! I am amazed you can keep up with it… I would love to…but…(three kids, a husband, a full time job and a house…) Way to go!

Ivanna November 30, 2008 at 7:25 pm

I just wanted to let you know that I veganized this recipe with great success! I’ve only recently ventured into vegan baking because of a friend. I substituted a flaxseed-water slurry in place of the egg, omitted the white chocolate chips and it tasted as good as the non vegan version. Thanks!