One Bowl Ginger, Blueberry, White Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies

Today’s cookie is on the healthy side. It tastes good too, and even won a prize in one of Eating Well Magazine’s holiday cookie contests! I’ve played with the recipe over the years and have streamlined it a bit. These days, I make the cookies in one bowl.

blueberry white chocolate cookies

Ginger, Blueberry, White Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies

MAKES 20 COOKIES

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed (I use dark)
1/2 teaspoon each — baking soda and salt
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oats, quick cooking or old fashioned, not instant
2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup dried blueberries
1/4 cup crystallized ginger

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Whisk together oil, egg, vanilla and brown sugar. Stir in salt, baking soda, wheat germ and ground ginger. Add flour and stir until blended. Stir in oats, white chocolate, berries and ginger. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool

Comments

These looks really good and I love that they are healthy. I don’t have dried blueberries right now but actually have some fresh ones I’ve been wondering what to do with. Do you think they would be too wet and be mushy or make the cookie too moist?

I do have dried cranberries. Maybe I’ll try that. I have a white choc. bar, which I don’t very often have, so maybe I’ll try these tomorrow. About to make another 1/2 batch of the NY Times cookies to share with some visiting company. Gotta get the dough a chillin’.
    My husband only likes blueberries in a good muffin. Guess I’ll try those for the a.m.
    Do you have a favorite muffin recipe? I know you have some on your site, I haven’t been able to sit down and hunt through them yet.

I adore cristalized ginger! And of course you’ve used my favourite expression,”one bowl”! You should get a One Bowl category on your search bar on the left. You know, just for me…

Katrina, I don’t have a favorite muffin. I jump from muffin to muffin.

I’ve added a One Bowl category.

5. HeartofGlass says

They interviewed the author of the Times cookie article on July 10th on my local talk radio station program “Food Talk”
    He said he gained weight researching the article, but it was worth it! Your cookies look like they’d be fantastic with any dried fruit or even toffee chips–I love ginger!

6. Janet says

The verdict is in…..my batch of The New York Times cookies came out of my oven last night…WOW, really great texture, taste, and appearance. Several neighbors had dropped over and everyone got warm HUGE 3 1/2 ounce cookies to sample. Rave reviews all around…thanks for leading us into “temptation” once again;-) lol

7. Laurelg1 says

Question – Hope you still read yesterdays posts comments…
    Do you usually use dark brown sugar in your cookies? (i.e. chocolate chip)

Just curious. When I make blondies, I like to use dark, as it gives them a richer flavor with the chocolate chips…especially dark chocolate…

Love your recipes and site! I am amazed you can keep up with it… I would love to…but…(three kids, a husband, a full time job and a house…) Way to go!

8. Ivanna says

I just wanted to let you know that I veganized this recipe with great success! I’ve only recently ventured into vegan baking because of a friend. I substituted a flaxseed-water slurry in place of the egg, omitted the white chocolate chips and it tasted as good as the non vegan version. Thanks!