Cookie’s Pear Muffins

by on August 25, 2008 · 11 comments

Today’s post is a little late, but it’s worth it. It’s a wholesome fruit muffin which is sure to be perfect for lunchboxes of even the pickiest muffin eaters –specifically, those who don’t like chunks of cooked fruit in their muffins. The recipe is from Cookie who lives in San Francisco and writes a blog called Workout Then Cook. She made up the recipe herself by combining a few others. Way to go!

What I love about the muffins, and this is coming from someone who doesn’t like cooked pears much, is that the pears are grated so they blend right into the muffin. They’re noticeable if you look for them, but unobtrusive. For my first batch, I left out the walnuts and added in a little bit of cinnamon. Now that I know how good the muffins are, I’ll add the walnuts next time. I also think maybe a sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar on top might be nice – but not too much.

pear muffins

Cookie’s Pear Muffins

1/4 c sugar
1 c all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 ripe pears, medium sized, stems, cores and skin removed
1 egg
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line 6 muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Mix sugar, flour, soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon together in a large bowl.
2. Chop pears into chunks and grate them in a food processor.
3. Beat together grated pears, egg, and oil. Stir in dry ingredients.
4. Add walnuts (if using) and mix gently.
5. Put batter in lined muffin pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Makes 6

Published on August 25, 2008

VeggieGirl August 25, 2008 at 2:44 pm

I’ve never baked with pears before – now I’m inspired to do so!

snookydoodle August 25, 2008 at 2:53 pm

THESE LOOK YUMMY AND HEALTHY TOO. I WON’T FEEL THAT GUILTY AFTER ONE OR TWO :-)

Carole R. August 25, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Just in time for the fall bounty of pears.

Katrina August 25, 2008 at 3:16 pm

They look great! I just made muffins today, too! Similar to the latest ones on Kevin’s blog Closet Cooking. They are SO good! Second to cookies, may be muffins for me. I love making them mini size. Will have to try these. I just had 4-5 pears, but only have one unripe one left.

clumbsycookie August 25, 2008 at 3:47 pm

They look great and I like the fact they’re so low in fat! Way to go Cookie!

bakingblonde August 25, 2008 at 3:51 pm

The last time I had a baked good that used Pears was a cheddar and pear pie my exboyfriend made me! It was delish!!
These sound yummy as well, Maybe I will omit the cinnamon and add some cheddar!

Lorie August 26, 2008 at 3:17 am

My mother has a tree full of pears that will be ripe soon. I was just talking to her today about what we can do with them. I’m not a huge pear fan, but these muffins sound really good. I will definitely try these.

aTxVegn August 26, 2008 at 7:18 am

These do look healthy and delicious!

Kristin W August 26, 2008 at 9:00 am

Oh, I wish I had seen this before I left Tulsa. My grandmother has the most outrageously prolific pear tree in her yard. She’s been leaving sacks and sacks of pears for the neighbors to take away in her driveway. I’m going to send this to her.

Sara August 26, 2008 at 9:34 am

Oh these muffins look delicious! I love pears and just bought a bunch yesterday…I’ll have to test try these out! :)

11baking September 6, 2010 at 12:02 am

im only 11 and i made these all by myself and the turn out great,but if u add a little tiny butter on top when they get done they arejust a little better! :)