German Chocolate Cake Part 1

I’m going to a potluck tomorrow and have decided to take along a German chocolate cake. I’m not sure this was a good idea because I’m not very familiar with German chocolate cake and don’t have a great tried and true recipe, but the crowd tomorrow, a group of cooks I met years ago on eGullet, are the types who would appreciate a good, authentic German chocolate cake. That is, one made with German’s Sweet Chocolate which comes in a green box and from what I’ve read, is the chocolate this cake was built on.

I chose this recipe which is almost identical to the one on the German Sweet Chocolate Box.

I am at the halfway point and the cake seems okay. Like most German chocolate cakes, it’s not extremely chocolaty and it’s fairly sweet. I will let you know how it turns out. All I know now is that it’s going to be tall! I used three 8-inch pans.

Comments

1. Johanna says

Every mention of a German Chocolate Cake makes me curious to find out what it’s supposed to be – as here in Germany, I don’t really know of any, um, special chocolate cake. Except for maybe the “Sacher Torte”, but then that’s not German at all. :)

Greetings from Germany!
    Johanna

2. Sue says

German Chocolate Cake is my husband’s favorite cake. Good luck with yours. I made the Inside Out German Chocolate Cake from Epicurious for his last b’day and it was a huge hit. The filling for that cake is a better version of the typical German Chocolate Cake Frosting. Basically you make Dulce de Leche and then add pecans and coconut. I would make it again just for the filling. The inside out version has a chocolate ganache frosting that I thought put the cake over the top. It was extreme.

3. Karen says

German Chocolate is my ex-husband’s favorite so I take a few deep breaths and help my daughter bake him one every year. I really like the recipe from CI from a few years ago. We always make a chocolate frosting for the sides and for piping a border. Can’t wait to see your cake! I’m going out of town for a few weeks and will miss my daily visit to cookiemadness.

4. Sue says

Karen, you’re a good person to help your daughter out with that project. I’m sure it’s a bit painful.

Yum. Can’t wait to see your skyscraper cake! I have a recipe for an inside out German choc. cake that I’m waiting to try (maybe for my husband’s b-day). He doesn’t like cake, but will eat German choc as he grew up with that being the only cake his grandma ever made, so he likes it.

I’ve been making German Chocolate Cake since I was just a girl (almost 40 years now), and the traditional recipe on the Bakers chocolate is the best. I’ve noticed about 10 years ago, they changed the recipe so that you weren’t folding in the egg whites. I tried it that way, and while it’s easier to make, it isn’t nearly as good. So I went back to the traditional recipe, which is much the same as the one you linked.

Now I’m hungry for a German Chocolate Cake. I might have to make a trip to the store and get the ingredients.