Happy Birthday!

Hey Fuzz, it’s your birthday! Let’s talk about cake!

You love cake almost as much as I do, but you’re more of a decorator. Remember that time you tried to make one of those 3-dimensional Barbie-in-a-big-skirt cakes?

It didn’t quite work out, so we put a paper doll of you on top. You’re much cuter than Barbie, you know.

paper doll cake

And then there were your birthday cakes. When you turned one, I obsessed so much over your cake that I gave up and ordered a photo cake from Sam’s Wholesale Club. It was actually really good and every year, when I obsess too much about birthday cakes, I consider another photo cake from Sam’s. We’d have to renew our membership, though.

First Brithday Cake

When you were two, you made your own cake…..or at least decorated it. As much as I wanted you to start using the oven, you weren’t quite ready. You did have a talent with sprinkles!

Fuzz\'s Birthday Cake

At three, you were old enough to appreciate a homemade decorated cake, so I attempted to make two of your favorite characters — Chococat & Hello Kitty. Ten minutes before the guests arrived, I dropped Hello Kitty (or as we call her, “Ho Kitty”) face down on the floor. I didn’t take a photo of the grocery store cake replacement.

Chococat

ho kitty cake

A year later, I was still fairly ambitious and made you a Crayola Crayon cake to celebrate turning four. At the time, I thought it looked shoddy, but in hindsight, I’m proud of my work in the sense that it is at least one-of-a kind.

Crayola CAke

When you turned 5, we had a horse cake. I was and still am rather proud of that one because along with looking pretty spiffy, it was a vegan cake and your friend with dairy allergies was able to eat cake instead of the little non-dairy candy bar she always had to bring to parties. She’s still a good friend and growing up fast, just like you.

horse cake

Fuzz, last year you decorated your own cake and did a great job.

Six

And now this year you are 7 and want to decorate your own cake again! Well, that’s fine by me. But let me bake the cake and make the icing. Maybe this will be our thing for years to come? I will be the baker and you can be the decorator? I’ve always wanted to team up with someone and I’m glad it’s you. Happy Birthday Fuzz!

Comments

1. Josie A-G says

Wow. I mean REALLY wow. Those crayons rock, and I love the idea of tracking years through birthday cake celebrations. Happy birthday to your Fuzz!

2. Jennifer says

Happy birtday Fuzz!
    I love all the cakes, and can’t believe how great you did on the decorating for someone who thinks she’s not good at it!
    Jennifer

Gorgeous cakes through the years! So glad that I am not the only one that spends time thinking about what to make. I just finished Mount Dinocake last weekend for my big guy’s 5th birthday. Thanks for sharing and happy birthday to Fuzz :)

4. Chris C-L says

Happy Birthday! We had a 5th Birthday at our house this week and I too fretted and worried and stressed about cake. More than anything, I just want it to be delicious because I love cake!

Many more Happy Birthdays to Fuzz!

Happy Birthday Fuzz… we both love you more than anything.

Everybody else: you wouldn’t believe how many prototype Hello Kitty cakes there were. It’s an odd conversation to have with co-workers on why I’m constantly bringing in Hello Kitty cakes for them to eat.

6. Lisa Rogers says

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FUZZ!!! May your day be filled with wonderful surprises and sprinkles galore!

7. Bess says

Awwww…”Maybe this will be our thing for years to come.” That is so touching :) Happy birthday to Fuzz and kudos to the mom for being a remarkable mother. Not everyone can put up with child+icing!

Happy Birthday Fuzz! Hope you have fun decorating your cake and we can’t wait to see it!
    Anna this is such a cute post, I loved the story behind each cake marking! Have a great day both of you!

9. Sue says

Happy Birthday Fuzz!! Your cakes are obviously made with a lot of love. Have fun decorating this years creation!

10. HeartofGlass says

I actually got a bit misty-eyed reading this, thinking of all the happy times I had with my mom, planning my birthday parties.

You know, I’m not just saying this because she is the birthday girl, but the cake your daughter decorated with sprinkles at age three looks almost eerily good, I never would have thought it was done by a small child. And I agree with her–cakes you decorate yourself always taste better :)

OMG I am in LOVE with that Hello Kitty Cake! (I’m a TOTAL Hello Kitty addict!)

BTW I made your White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies last night and they are SO yummy! People are actually telling me that these are my best cookies yet! Thank you SO much and I will definitely be “stealing” more of your recipes! (Of course I gave you credit for them!)

I loved looking at all those cakes!! Anna, you are a great mom. I wish I had pictures of all my cakes when I had a birthday. They are all beautiful! My favorite is the Ho Kitty one haha

13. NJ says

I love my Mom more than anyone in the world and think she is #1, but you seem like you are right up there with the best, Anna. So heartwarming.

Happy Birthday Fuzz!

14. Therese B. says

Happy Birthday Fuzz!!!!!!

WOW!! I love the cakes Anna! The first one with the barbie oh…that is soooo funny!!!

Enjoy your day!!! May you be blessed with many joys this coming year!!

Happy Birthday, Fuzz!
    I didn’t realize we have a kid so close in age. My six year old will turn 7 in two weeks. (He missed the kindergarten cut off by six days, so he just started 1st grade.) Fuzz will be in 2nd, right.
    Cute cake memory walk! Excited to see what’s on the pedistal this year!

16. c says

anna, this post was so sweet and lovely. thank you for sharing!

and of course, best wishes for the birthday girl!

17. Sarah says

This was such a sweet post, it made me smile (a difficult thing to do today). Happy Birthday to Fuzz :)

Happy Big 7th Birthday Fuzz!

When you are older, you will really appreciate the fact that you have the coolest Mom that can bake!

BTW – Sabrina will be so jealous when she sees the Chococat and Hello Kitty cakes – even at age 11, she still loves that!!

Have a great day and tell your Mom to let you eat cake for dinner!

19. Dana says

Happy Birthday, Fuzz!! How cute that she likes to decorate her own cakes. Abby is 7, too, and is also into all that decorating. You’ve inspired me–next year maybe I’ll back off and just let her do her own thing! Can’t wait to see what Fuzz came up with this year!

20. Janet says

Oh Anna, that was so neat to see all the past birthdays and read the stories! A BIG Happy Birthday to Fuzz! I know what you have been doing on August 22 for many many years—baking! lol Thanks for sharing these memorable times with your daughter!