Wheat Free Vegan Oatmeal-Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

by on August 1, 2008 · 22 comments

TGIF! I hope you are having a good Friday. Now let’s get down to business.

First off, I said the last cookie I posted was vegan. Well, it is if you don’t use the bittersweet chips I called for. I just read the Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips bag and the ingredients say “milk fat” which doesn’t sound vegan to me. But finding replacement chocolate is easy.

What I wasn’t sure would be so easy was removing the wheat, but I tested with rice flour and a bit more oats and had good results. I’ll share the photo later, but for now, just visualize the cookies in the previous post but slightly lumpier. They’re just as fat and moist. And yes, the rice flour makes them crumbly, but they set up nicely one they’re cool.

Wheat Free Vegan Oatmeal-Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

3/4 cup oats
1/4 cup rice flour (I used white)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons applesauce
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup extra crunchy peanut butter (generous) – 2 ½ oz by weight — doesn’t
1/3 cup chopped up semi-sweet chocolate or vegan chips

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Grind oats in processor. Add rice flour, baking soda and salt and pulse to mix.

Stir oil and both sugars together in a medium bowl. It’s okay to do this with a spoon – no need to pull out the electric mixer. Beat in applesauce, peanut butter and vanilla. Add rice flour/oat mixture and stir until blended. Stir in chocolate chunks.

Using about 2 tablespoons of dough, form dough into balls and place on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 11-12 minutes (the longer, the crunchier the edges). Cool on sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to racks; cool completely.

Makes about 6 cookies

Published on August 1, 2008

Janet August 1, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Hi Anna: Thanks for this recipe! I bought the rice flour and used it in another cookie recipe but it had a real crunchy texture which I did not like. Do you think it was the brand of rice flour (Arrowhead Mills Organic White Rice flour) that I bought or just that texture is normal for rice flour?

Anna August 1, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Janet, the only brand I’ve ever used is Bob’s Red Mill. It seems to give things a crumblier texture — not necessarily crunchy. It might have been the brand or the recipe. Usually people mix rice flour with other flours, so maybe the cookies just had too much rice flour.

Also, I think it has a different weight than all purpose flour so you can’t really use it on a cup per cup basis.

Sue August 1, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Yippee! I have a baking project for the weekend!
Thanks for trying this Anna! I was a little fearful. Some of the gluten free recipes I see call for stuff I haven’t used before like guar gum or xanthum gum? I like it that your recipe doesn’t!

Anna August 1, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Good luck, Sue!

I know what you mean about recipes using gums. CXantham gum is not easy to find and it’s rather expensive. However, if I had a serious wheat allergy, I’d buy it all the time. For now, I’m just trying things that are more basic.

VeggieGirl August 1, 2008 at 2:20 pm

YOU MADE THEM WHEAT-FREE TOO?!?!?! Anna, you’re a gem.

Megan August 1, 2008 at 2:25 pm

This is awesome Anna! My neighbors son has to go on a “wheat, dairy, sugar free diet” – so I can substitute Brown Sugar Splenda for the regular sugar.

I’ve used brown rice flour for brownies and they came out quite nice – not gummy or pasty like you might expect. If I’m not mistaken, you recently did a gluten-free brownie. I’m going to check it out and see how they compare.

Janet August 1, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Thanks, I’ll try them. You are right the recipe I used only rice flour. I felt like I was eating hard grains of sand. The flavor was fine, just the texture was off. Appreciate your advice and look forward to trying these soon.

Lucinda August 1, 2008 at 10:04 pm

You can use a gluten-free flour mix too that has less rice flour in it. I’m just not very good at figuring out the ratios of gf flour to regular flour. If you happen to have xantham gum on hand, it’s nice to throw it in for texture. I also found some dough enhancer at a health food store that does a nice job and is less expensive than the xantham gum. I’m looking forward to trying this soon. Thanks.

Noble Pig August 2, 2008 at 12:20 am

Hey this sounds great and I happen to have all the ingredients…I’m trying this tomorrow.

Sue August 2, 2008 at 4:51 pm

I made these today with one major substitution. I used Pamela’s Gluten Free Baking Mix instead of the rice flour, and because it has leaveners in it (and xanthum gum) I skipped the baking soda altogether. My son really likes them. I think they’re good, but I think I’ll try them soon with the rice flour instead of the baking mix. Something was giving them a sort of “off” flavor for me. Maybe it was too much vanilla (my mistake, not your recipe), or maybe it’s the baking mix. They’re my first cookies since going gluten free so I don’t have anything other than my wheat containing recipes to compare to. I used dry roasted salted peanuts and I loved those with peanut buttery sweet dough. I’m tempted to leave out the chocolate entirely and put more peanuts in. That might get too salty though.

Anna August 2, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Sue, does the baking mix have potato flour? Sometimes that can add a unique flavor — not necessarily bad, just different. The rice flour didn’t have much flavor. Definitely try it with that. I’m curious to hear how your gluten free diet it is going.

Sue August 2, 2008 at 7:25 pm

Hi Anna!

So far it’s been easier than I would have thought, and has made a HUGE difference. There are a number of wheat things that I haven’t eaten in a long time because I knew they were causing problems, so getting rid of the rest wasn’t so difficult. I still bake some for my husband and son, but I’m finding it’s not at all difficult to leave gluten laced products alone now that I know how much better I feel without them.
Here’s a link to the Pamela’s Pancake and Baking Mix that I used. http://www.pamelasproducts.com/Products_frames.html

It has potato starch in it, but not potato flour. I tasted another bit of cookie without chocolate chips in it and I think it’s the chocolate chips that I’m tasting. I love the cookie part with the salty peanuts. :-)

I’ll definitely give the cookies another try. Thanks for giving me the inspiration to try some gluten free baking.

atxvegn August 2, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Thanks for this recipe Anna! You did my work for me. I do have xantham gum so I may put in a pinch to see if it helps them stay together better.

Apparently Ghirardeli AND Guittard are no longer vegan. Many dark chocolates are though and I know Tropical Source dark chocolate chips are vegan. I get mine at HEB.

atxvegn August 3, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Hi, Anna. These cookies are fabulous! I can only imagine how much more fabulous they would be if I had remembered to add the peanuts. Thank you, thank you for this recipe.

Danielle August 5, 2008 at 1:04 pm

These were delish! I don’t have any allergies but the fact that they didn’t have eggs or butter enticed me. I didn’t have crunchy peanut butter, so I used regular and threw in some sliced almonds. I also used a blueberry applesauce and I LOVED the cookies! I actually made them 2 nights in a row so my husband and I could have them piping hot. Thanks!

Sarah August 13, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I love this recipe! Every vegan dessert I’ve tried making so far (in my limited experience) ended up tasting horrible, but these were great! I substituted wheat flour for the rice flour since I didn’t have any. Thank you!

Julie Hasson August 17, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Thanks for the recipe Anna. These look fabulous!

How do you think they would be if I used brown rice flour instead of white?

Anna August 17, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Hi Julie,

I don’t see why brown rice flour wouldn’t work as well as white. Don’t both flours weigh the same? The taste might be a little different, but I just don’t know. I hope you give it a try. Maybe you could test with both?

Julie Hasson August 19, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Thanks Anna. I will test them out really soon with the brown rice flour and let you know how they work. I have a HUGE bag of the brown rice flour, which is why I asked.

Thanks again!

Julie

Glory July 1, 2011 at 10:09 am

Thanks for the inspiration. I have been making an off shoot of this recipe for a while. I add flax and sometimes chia seeds and have used many alternative sweeteners such as agave, honey, maple and stevia to avoid using sugar and people love them. I used the malt sweetened chocolate chips and often freshly ground peanut butter. Brown rice flour has worked great for me too.

Heather H April 23, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Hello,
I recently found your website and am hoping to adapt this & a few other dessert recipes to meet the dietary requirements of a bride-to-be! My goal is no nuts wheat or dairy. Can this recipe be made by omitting the peanut butter without any changes? Is there another substitution I should use to account for the change in fat content?

Anna April 23, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Hi Heather,

I think the peanut butter is a pretty key element here, but you could always experiment!