A Pound Cake Made With Malted Milk Powder

by on September 26, 2008 · 12 comments

I made another marbled pound cake yesterday. I wasn’t going to post about it because I didn’t think it was great, but I made a couple of changes so maybe it was just *my* cake that wasn’t great.

The recipe was Malted Milk Black-And-White Pound Cake.

The changes I made were to halve the recipe and use 2 oz melted semi-sweet chocolate in place of what should have been 3 oz chocolate syrup. The cake was good enought to serve, but it wasn’t as moist as it could have been and I couldn’t really taste the malt. Maybe mine just didn’t have enough liquid to keep it moist? I’m not sure, but this recipe sounds like such a good one that I’d like to give it another chance.

If you make it or have already made it, I’d like to hear your thoughts……..or else I’m going to have to make it again myself with the chocolate syrup.

Published on September 26, 2008

VeggieGirl September 26, 2008 at 8:16 am

Sorry that you couldn’t taste the malt, and that it wasn’t very moist :-( Definitely try it again though!!

Beth September 26, 2008 at 9:01 am

I have made this cake before, and have to concur that it wasn’t all that moist. I followed the recipe exactly. The texture was like a pound cake, but dry in the mouth. It wasn’t crumbly, but didn’t have a pleasant feeling in the mouth. It would have been better along-side a scoop of ice cream or maybe with some sort of drizzle, but I didn’t find it that great. I didn’t think the chocolate came through at all, and found the malt flavor lacking. I even waited several hours before trying it out–as recommended.

I originally got the recipe off Joe’s “Culinary in the Country” site. He talks about it here: http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2008/08/impressive-malted-milk-black-and-white.html

Anna September 26, 2008 at 9:15 am

Beth, thanks for the link to Joe’s photo. Judging by his photo, I can tell that the crumb of his is exactly the same as mine. He mentioned the malt flavor was mild. I could taste the malt, but barely. All it did was add this “different” quality to the cake. Joe’s cake looks spectacular! He didn’t mention the chocolate marble as being too sweet, so that’s good. One of my reasons for not using the syrup was I feared it would be too sweet.

I’m still not sure whether I should do a re-make.

Anna September 26, 2008 at 9:25 am
Erin Mylroie September 26, 2008 at 9:34 am

Anna:I posted your apple bar recipe today with a link back to you. Hope that’s OK with you.

Joanna September 26, 2008 at 10:14 am

That marble cake really is beautiful and so symmetrical! Maybe he purposely made it dry because that’s what he likes. I’ve noticed people always have different ideas about what food is supposed to taste like because that’s what they’ve always had.

Anna September 26, 2008 at 10:31 am

Joanna, that is a good point. When comparing my first 3 pound cakes to the dense, extremely moist cream cheese pound cake, I found that I liked the slightly dryer cake better.

And really, this cake wasn’t “dry”….just not moist. Does that make sense? I can’t think of a better way to describe it.

I really do need to try it again.

Karen September 26, 2008 at 11:55 am

I’m glad you posted about this cake, I have the book and have thought about making it, now I’ll hold off, at least until you try it again with better results! Oddly I have not made a single thing out of that book. Not sure why.

runjess September 26, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Hmmm…the pictures look so good.

Speaking of good pics, I made the King Arthur fudge brownies from one of your Top 10 lists because they look so good in your picture. I haven’t really tried them yet because I’m bringing them to a tailgate tomorrow, but they look so fudgy!

Katy September 26, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Anna,
I use RLB’s mixing method for all my cakes now and I get superb results. This pound cake recipe, however, is not sweet enough. I find that to be a problem with many of her recipes. Sugar reacts as a liquid and contributes to a moist and tender texture in cakes. So I use her method for my Mary Jo Bowen cake and get the best of everything. It also requires fewer bowls.

Jackie September 27, 2008 at 7:46 am

Anna,
I saw Joe’s cake on his site and was planning on making it today as the photo is so beautiful. Now I’m having second thoughts.

Jackie September 27, 2008 at 7:49 am

P.S. Good luck with the next pound cake. I love Rosie’s recipes. Have you seen her blog? http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/