Goop

by on September 23, 2008 · 9 comments

This site sounds like fun. Can’t wait to see the recipes!

Goop

Of course, after reading the “About” section I am feeling a little guilty about wanting to make a Cool Whip dessert :(.

Published on September 23, 2008

Lara September 23, 2008 at 12:34 pm

The mere mention of Cool Whip makes me yearn for what I used to call Jello Cake. I can’t remember the exact recipe, but it involved making up a regular old yellow cake, poking holes in it with a straw or toothpicks or something, then pouring not-yet-solidified jello over the top, covering the whole thing with cool whip, and chilling for a while. Mmmmm. I think you might have to chill the jello for a bit first. It might sound gross, but it is really delicious.

Katrina September 23, 2008 at 2:17 pm

I am not ashamed to admit that I LOVE Cool Whip, regular, not lite, please. I know it’s just sugar and has no dairy, but really, we don’t use that much of it THAT often. I prefer it to fresh whipped cream. Shhh, don’t tell anyone! ;) Have you seen that it’s now in a can, like ReddiWhip? I may have to try that, but I DON’T like Reddi Whip. I don’t even care for no-name whipped toppings. I’m sure the Cool Whip in a can is much like Reddi Whip, so I’ll stick with my Cool blue tub!

Anna September 23, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Lara, that is “Stripe it Rich!” cake. Somewere, I have a story about my mother’s failed attempt to make a reverse Stripe it Rich! cake. That is, a chocolate cake with vanilla pudding stripes. Long story short, it tasted good but was very unattractive.

Katrina, I think it’s all a matter of what one grew up on. I didn’t try fresh whipped cream until I was a teenager. I consider it a different species than Cool Whip! I guess I like them both, but in different ways. I’m not crazy about canned/squeeze type whipped creams, though they do look pretty. Oh, and I haven’t seen the Cool Whip in a can. I’ll bet it tastes like regular Cool Whip.

Melanie September 23, 2008 at 2:57 pm

That’s poke cake! http://flickr.com/photos/thinguy/2157089864/

I might have to make one for … some reason … this week.

Lara September 23, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Stripe it Rich Cake, Poke Cake, and Jell0 Cake = all DELICIOUS. Now I want some. And when I say now, I mean NOW!

amy September 23, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Thanks for the heads up on GOOP. I love Gwenyth, and have always felt she would be a great friend if only our paths would collide. I signed up for the newsletter until that happens.

FWIW, I like Cool Whip & real whipped cream. Both yummy in their own way. :)

HeartofGlass September 24, 2008 at 7:08 am

That is totally weird–I mentioned Poke Cake in comments on your blog awhile ago, I think–Cook’s Country did a ‘from scratch’ version with ‘real’ gelatin–if you have a subscription you can see it.http://www.cookscountry.com/pwlogin.asp?did=4375&area=recipe&iseason=

Anna September 24, 2008 at 7:46 am

So is it Stripe it Rich or Poke Cake. Are they both the same thing? Naturaly, I remember the flashy Jell-O title. LOL.

I usually buy Cooks’ Country in the store, so I have a lot of old issues. I’ll look and see if I can find this.

Laura September 24, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Yum! My mom was the Queen of Poke Cake! She’s make it with red Jell-o! Oh, my! So good! : )