How To Peel a Peach

by on September 8, 2008 · 11 comments

Peeled Peach

Maybe I should have titled this post “How I Peel Peaches” because I’m not actually an authority, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express this weekend!

Okay, sorry for rehashing that joke. But I did learn a very effective way to peel peaches this weekend. Here are the steps I followed.

1. Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil (a little more than a simmer)

2. Cut “x”s in bottom of each peach

3. Add peaches to boiling water and cook for exactly one minute.

4. Remove peaches from boiling water and plunge into a bowl of ice cold water to stop cooking.

5. Using your fingers or a sharp knife and starting at the spot where you made the “x”. Peel away the skin. It’s a great feeling when a whole sheet of it comes of at once!

Published on September 8, 2008

VeggieGirl September 8, 2008 at 7:44 am

Great tips!

Sue September 8, 2008 at 7:50 am

That’s what I do except I don’t put the “x” on the fruit first. Next time I need to peel peaches I’ll try it your way!

Catherine September 8, 2008 at 7:53 am

Thank you so much. I’m canning peaches today. I knew you could do this with tomatoes, just never thought about it with peaches.

clumbsycookie September 8, 2008 at 8:32 am

Cool! That’s how I do my tomatoes!

Katrina September 8, 2008 at 8:33 am

Great to know! Thank you Holiday Inn Express! ;)

Joanna September 8, 2008 at 8:40 am

you peeled this so beautifully! i thought it was an orange at first!

Karen September 8, 2008 at 9:23 am

I find this a very satisfying activity, too. I love the look of the naked peaches.

HeartofGlass September 8, 2008 at 9:34 am

That’s cheating–I thought your Holiday Express ability had to be a NEW gift, not cooking related!

Actually, I just realized your problem yesterday–your Holiday Express stay temporarily sucked your cooking and baking ability away for a day. I would write a letter of complaint, if I were you!

Anna September 8, 2008 at 10:32 am

I wasn’t sure the “X” would really help, but a few people suggested it and it really did help. What happens is the skin at the center of the “X” folds bag a tiny bit and gives you a pull tag. The peaches I had made the “X” in were definitely easier to peel. I think it also depends on the ripeness of the peach. Some were riper than others and the skin nearly fell off.

Heidi September 8, 2008 at 11:28 am

I don’t know if they are breeding hybrid peaches to be easy to peel or what, but I bought some at Costco last month and the peel came off so easily, just raw. I was amazed. I don’t even mind eating the peach skin so I’m not easily amazed. ;)

btw, your title reminded me of “How to Pick a Peach” by Russ Parsons.

sierra October 10, 2011 at 6:50 am