Maida Heatter’s (Spooky) Oreo Bundt Cake

The original recipe is from Maida Heatter, but I got it from Katy G. who is pretty much the queen of pound cake recipes. Thanks Katy, Maida Heatter and Nabisco. And Nabisco, please keep making Halloween Oreos.

Halloween Bundt Cake

Maida Heatter’s (Spooky) Oreo Bundt Cake

18 whole Oreo cookies (Halloween Colored)
2 3/4 cups (330g) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cool room temp
1 1/2 cups (300g) superfine sugar
3 whole eggs, large, cool room temp
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 cup sour cream, cool room temp

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If you are using a black Bundt pan, preheat to 325 degrees F. Spray a Bundt pan with flour-added cooking spray.

Break the cookies into quarters; set aside.

Sift together flour, salt and soda. Reserve.

Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer – I did this for about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one by one, then beat in extracts and sour cream.

Add flour mixture and stir just until it is well-mixed – it should be fairly thick.

Spoon about 1 1/2 cups of the batter into bottom of prepared pan. Form a shallow trench in the center of batter.

Fold Oreos into remaining batter and finish filling pan, spreading the batter up the sides a bit to prevent a dome shape.

8: Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a tester inserted near the center comes out with crumbs. Cool and dust with powdered sugar and cocoa powder. You could glaze it, but it’s not necessary.

Comments

1. Jennifer says

Wow, that looks great! I really, really like pound cakes/bundt cakes. And I (unfortunately!) love OREO’s.
    Jennifer

2. Anonymous says

All of your recipes look AMAZING! I have a long list of ones to try!

Didn’t you say/write that you can just eat one or two bites of all these yummy sweets? I don’t have such will power and cannot imagine what would happen with all these sweets in my house!

Such a fun cake! Those are just normal flavour oreos but orange? Wouldn’t it be awesome that they were pumpkin? I can’t wait to hear all about the Halloween party!

Kids just make you have more fun. And that’s why I don’t ever want to grow up. You’re having wwwaaayyyy too much fun with this cake – I wanna play too.

Anna,

I love Maida Heatter’s recipes and this looks like so much fun. Wish I were a kid again! Fuzz is one lucky little girl.

6. Jennifer says

I’m going to a “*chili dump” in a couple of weeks and am planning to make this for dessert. One question, like most bundt cakes, does it hold up well to slicing and eating sans fork?

(*everyone brings ingredients and it all gets dumped together to make a big pot of chili)

I don’t know what a chili dump is and am scared to look for that on Google ;).

Anyway. Good news, Jennifer! I sliced this cake up this morning and sent it off to my husband’s office. It sliced perfectly. Wait a few hours or overnight, though. I think it slices better after it rests.

This is such a good idea! I made a cake like this with regular oreos not too long ago… adding the halloween oreos is brilliant!

9. Karen says

I’ve made this recipe from Maida Heatter’s book many times, it’s delicious. But I’ve never used the colorful oreos! If I can find them I think I’ll make this for Halloween.
    PS The glaze for this cake is really good, 6 oz semisweet chocolate, 2 ounces butter, 1 Tbsp cream.

October 19 & 20 — whirlwind trip to see Mike Birbiglia’s off broadway one man show. It’s called “Sleepwalk With Mike”. You should check it out! I think it will still be running. If you can’t do that, I highly recommend UCB Theater in Chelsea.