Molten Chocolate Cookies

by on September 14, 2008 · 13 comments

Thanks to everyone who helped identify the blueberry recipe I mentioned earlier. It very well could have been the Nova Scotia Blueberry Cake from allrecipes. Even if it wasn’t, it doesn’t matter. I’ve found a new great recipe! Or at least it looks great. I’ll cut it up and review it tonight.

For now, here’s a cookie recipe from the back of the Guittard Semi-Sweet chocolate Bag. The original recipe makes 16 cookies, but I typed it up as a half batch. In reality, I made a quarter batch and made 4 big cookies. That worked out beautifully, so if you only need 4 cookies, just cut the recipe below in half. These were very good. I’d be curious to see how some sort of flavored (chili, wasabi, hazelnut) chocolate works in the recipe as well. But as is, the cookies are delicious. Be careful not to overcook them or you may not get the fudgy middle.

Sorry the picture is kind of bad. I tried to take it outside in the sunshine and it was a little too bright.

Molten Lava Cookies

Molten Chocolate Lava Cookies

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
1 large egg
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Melt the chips and butter in a double boiler or heat proof bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water. You may also melt in microwave. Set aside.

Beat egg and sugar with an electric mixer. When light and fluffy, beat in a salt and vanilla. Gradually beat in the slightly cooled chocolate.

Stir the flour and baking powder together, then add to the egg mixture and stir until mixed. Batter won’t be stiff enough to use at this point.

Chill batter for about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment.

Spoon batter by rounded tablespoonfuls (approx) and make 8 equally sized rounds. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for about 3 minutes, then transfer to rack to cool.

Best served warm. To reheat, microwave on high power 10 seconds per cookie.

Makes 8

Published on September 14, 2008

VeggieGirl September 14, 2008 at 11:35 am

I like your idea of trying the recipe with hazelnut or chili chocolate – that’d be divine!

Kristen September 14, 2008 at 11:37 am

Those look sooooo good! Yum!

Katrina September 14, 2008 at 11:53 am

Okay, so I know I say this on like every thing you post, but seriously, Molten Lava Cakes are like one of my favorite sinful desserts and these cookies look SO good. I love a little goo in things! Will have to try these for sure as my husband also LOVES molten cakes. Are the cookies a bit crispy on the outside?
I’m baking more of the Dorie PB Whopper cookies right now (still had half the dough), but man, I wanna make these. Hmmm…

clumbsycookie September 14, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Oh Anna they look amazing! I love molten cakes, and I’d love molten cookies as well for sure!

Joanna September 14, 2008 at 3:47 pm

the picture looks just fine to me!! i love anything with a fudgey consistency. it would be fun to stick something in the middle of these cookies… like marshmallows or a snack size candy bar.

Lisa Ernst September 14, 2008 at 4:36 pm

These look wonderful! I wonder if there’s a way to make these without eggs. Somehow I doubt the flax substitute would work in this recipe — but I could be wrong.

Rachel September 14, 2008 at 6:31 pm

I’ve had this recipe in my box for awhile, so now I’ll have to try it, too! I like the snack-size candy bar in the center idea . . .

Sophia September 15, 2008 at 10:08 am

I didn’t have school today (due to a lack of electricity at school) so to celebrate I made a batch of these. They’re amazing! Thanks for the recipe.

Anna September 15, 2008 at 10:15 am

Sophia, thanks for the review! Hope the electricity is back tomorrow.

Natalie September 15, 2008 at 11:33 am

Oh wow…those look amazing. Plus they seem pretty easy too. What a good recipe!

Virginie September 15, 2008 at 7:58 pm

Just saw them today, and had to make them…delicious! I doubled the recipe but otherwise changed nothing, and they’re delightful. And let me tell you, I’m much more popular with my co-workers since I discovered your blog…it may start an epidemic, though!

mj September 18, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Hi what is the texture of the cookies when cool?

Trish September 19, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Made these last yesterday…they are wonderful! Thank you.