A Lighter Pumpkin Bread

by on October 27, 2008 · 6 comments

Earlier today I mentioned how it might be nice to find a pumpkin bread with slightly less sugar.   Tonight, I was going through the November issue of Cooking Light, and there it was!  They seem to have used the same base recipe, but they cut the sugar, cut the fat, added some flax and used honey flavored beer instead of the water.  Now that sounds interesting!

Recipe Here

Published on October 27, 2008

eva October 27, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Hi Anna, I made 2 “lighter” pumpkin loaf by adapting the Libby’s recipe. I used the following substitutions: 2C WW flour with 1C AP (instead of 3 C AP), and 1/2 c brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup maple syrup (instead of 3 C granulated sugar) and swapped in 1/2 cup applesauce for some of the oil (so 1/2 oil, 1/2 applesauce). The original recipe is:

And while I may try using BP next time to achieve a slightly finer crumb(not just BS), the flavour was terrific. My pics (L: pumpkin cranberry; R: pumpkin with dark chocolate cranberry and walnut)

VeggieGirl October 28, 2008 at 4:28 am

Interesting, indeed!!

Joanna October 28, 2008 at 6:29 am

honey beer? i never knew there was such a thing! i guess not being of the legal drinking age, i wouldn’t know haha but when i am, i will definitely try some.

Maria October 28, 2008 at 7:29 am

What an interesting recipe. Thanks for sharing!

bethany October 28, 2008 at 10:55 am

I have made several recipes that I found on your site lately and loved them! Thanks for this website. My favorite pumpkin bread is the one out of my mom’s old Betty Crocker cookbook. But it is heavy on the sugar and shortening, so I am going to try out these pumpkin muffins I found on allrecipes.com. Then I Saw you were looking for a lower in sugar p. bread and thought I would pass it along. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Wheat-Honey-Muffins/Detail.aspx

Sue October 28, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Hi Anna!

Are you going to try this lighter pumpkin bread recipe that you linked? If you do, I’d love to know how it turns out. My pumpkin bread recipe is full sugar, full fat, and it would be good for me to have an alternative.