Amazing Hard Boiled Egg Chocolate Chip Cookie Update

by on October 14, 2008 · 28 comments

Today I made one change which in my opinion, resulted in a better cookie. Rita, who tried this previously, assured me it would work. The change is to use only hard boiled eggs. The previous version used 1/4 of a hard boiled egg and 1 tablespoon of raw egg. This version uses 1/2 of a hard boiled egg. Interestingly enough, no extra liquid is needed to bind the dough. As Rita put it, the butter does it all by itself….or at least European style butter does! Rita and I both used European style butter, but I suspect regular American butter would still hold together.

Also, I used Ghirardelli’s bittersweet chips in this batch. They worked really well because like the cookies, they’re big and fat! Big fat cookies need big fat chips.

hard boiled egg cookie

Amazing Hard Boiled Egg Chocolate Chip Cookies! (Small Batch)

3.1 oz all purpose bleached flour (2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour)
2 ounces cold unsalted butter (4 tablespoons) – European style, if you have it!
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 of a hard boiled egg
1 tablespoon lightly beaten egg
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
Small handful of chocolate chips

Combine flour and butter in food processor. Pulse until mixture is mealy and coarse. Add the salt and baking soda and pulse to mix. Add both sugars and hard boiled egg. Pulse again until mixture is mealy looking. Add in the vanilla and pulse until mixture just begins to come together.

Dump mixture into a bowl, add chocolate chips and shape into two balls. You will see egg whites in dough – they’ll disappear as the cookies bake.

Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until cookies appear lightly browned around edges. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to rack to finish cooling.

Important: Let cool completely before serving. The texture gets better as the cookies cool. It’s even better if you cool the cookies, freeze them, then thaw them.

Makes 2 big cookies

Published on October 14, 2008

Meredith October 14, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Is the inclusion of 1T beaten egg an typo?

Anna October 14, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Yes! Thanks!

No raw egg in the updated version.

bakingblonde October 14, 2008 at 12:31 pm

I am very intrigued by this use of hard boiled eggs in cookies! I am a little scared I must admit, haha

sara angel October 14, 2008 at 1:43 pm

this is such an interesting idea! and i love that you did a small batch…perfect for me because i seem to have no will power when there are a trillion cookies staring me in the face.

Katrina October 14, 2008 at 1:09 pm

bb, you cannot tell at all and just get a big, fat yummy cookie! Ya gotta try it!

clumbsycookie October 14, 2008 at 1:13 pm

I’m glad you tried it Anna! And the good thing about it is that the dough is so nice to shape, isn’t it?

Anna October 14, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Yes, the egg white bits disappear. I keep looking to see if I can find one in the baked cookie, but haven’t found one yet.

Rita, the dough is nice to shape! I liked the way it felt in my hands.

JenJen October 14, 2008 at 4:16 pm

Wow — that is a different idea. I will have to try it!

Sophia October 14, 2008 at 5:33 pm

I just made these. My butter was a little melty so they spread a little more than they should have, but they were still absolutely amazing. Thanks for a great recipe!

Anna October 14, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Hey Sophia! That is terrific!

Did you use regular butter or European? I’m just curious because I’ve been using the European and I think the cookies are a little better made with it. However, it might just be my imagination.

Also, if you chill the dough balls you’ll get less spread. You mentioned yours was kind of melty and you knew what to expect, so I’m just saying this as a reminder. Chilling is not necessary, but if you do chill your dough for a few hours or let it rest overnight, you’ll get thicker cookies.

Sophia October 14, 2008 at 6:28 pm

I used regular butter and thought they were really good, but now I’m thinking I’ll have to try them with European.
I did think of chilling the dough, but I wanted to try the cookies as soon as I could :)

Lisa magicsprinkles October 14, 2008 at 7:00 pm

I am so intrigued by this that I’m going to try it not only for the monster cookie factor but for the curiosity factor as well!

Paula October 14, 2008 at 7:58 pm

I don’t have a food processor so should I chop up the egg very fine in a blender?
What is the differents between the butters?

Maria October 15, 2008 at 11:34 am

Ok, I really need to try this idea! Too interesting not to!

Sue October 15, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Anna will have a better answer than I do, but I believe that European butter has a higher amount of butterfat in it. I think regular American butter has something like 80% and European butter has anywhere from 82-86% butterfat.

Therese B. October 15, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Well, I made these. I don’t have a food processor. I used my pastry cutter and the final step (egg and vanilla), I put those in my kitchenaid mixer and mixed until it came together.
I have to admit…I was skeptical about the hard boiled egg. It does disappear!!
But again the skeptic…I prefer the Levain cookie that was posted a while back. I just thought this cookie looked better than it tasted. Do you think it was because of the food processor..or lack of? My cookie sheets are so-so…not insulated. I also used the BEST Wisconsin butter I could use (pricey).
Thoughts?

Anna October 15, 2008 at 1:09 pm

Hmmmmm. Not sure, Therese. Maybe this just wasn’t your type of cookie.

I’ll send you a different recipe.

tori October 16, 2008 at 6:47 am

We are just now eating ours (for breakfast!) I made them yesterday but froze them overnight and took them out early this morning before I ran so we could eat them thawed. They are fabulous! I can’t wait to make them for other people and tell them the “secret ingredient”. My 4 year old is really into secret ingredients lately, so this cookie was perfect for him to help me with!

Ginny October 16, 2008 at 2:59 pm

This is a seriously good, seriously hefty cookie. I actually like it better than the Levain copycat–I think this one has more flavor–and I haven’t even done the freeze and thaw thing yet. Can’t wait until tomorrow! Thanks to all for a very clever recipe.

Carrie October 18, 2008 at 1:15 pm

These are definitely different and I will say it was fun mixing a cookie up in my mini food processor! Not my favorite cookie, but that may be because I don’t care for eggs. I could definitely smell/taste the eggs in these cookies vs. a traditional choc. chip cookie. Maybe my eggs have a lot of sulfur. The texture is nice- very crisp, almost shortbread like edges with a moist center.

Michelle October 19, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Oh. My. Goodness! I made this last night, cooled them, and tried a piece this morning. Fabulous! I would have never thought to try boiled eggs in cookies, and I must admit I was a little nervous.. But these rock! They tasted like those giant bakery cookies.. mm :)

Karen October 21, 2008 at 2:44 pm

I made a double batch to get four huge cookies. The dough did not really hold together that well – I had a mass of crumbs. I managed to squeeze it together and the cookies held together fine when baked. Mine were not getting any color at all, I baked them 28 minutes and they were very pale. They do remind me of the Levain copy cats – moist and a little doughy. I liked the oatmeal HBE cookie better. Will make the double chocolate ones tomorrow. This has been fun! It’s amazing how the egg completely disappears into the cookies!

hejin October 24, 2008 at 8:21 am

My cookies are now in the oven, and I hope it turns out fine! I made some unfortunate changes: had to use all white sugar due to the lack of brown, and salted butter, and my hard boiled egg was just out of its shell when I mixed it in (with my fingers no less, since I don’t think 2 cookies are worth washing up one food processor) and the butter got a bit melty.

I wonder, what’s the rationale behind freezing and thawing? How does the texture of the cookie change?

Anna October 24, 2008 at 8:28 am

Hejin, let me know how it goes. Next time you run out of brown sugar, try using all granulated sugar, but swap out about two teaspoons of granulated sugar for molasses. That is, if you have molasses! I think the cookies will taste okay with all granulated, but they won’t be quite the same.

What I’ve noticed is that after being frozen and thawed, the inside kind of smooths and becomes dense.

hejin October 26, 2008 at 11:12 am

I do have some dark brown sugar around the house, but I’m not sure if it’s molasses, or indeed, what kind of brown sugar at all. =/ Translated, my mum calls it “dark sugar”, which really isn’t that helpful at all. I liked the texture of the cookies; they had a nice thin crispy crust. I tried the cookie both before and after freezing, the one before had a more cake-like texture. I’ll try these again with all the right ingredients some day :)

tina November 10, 2008 at 8:34 pm

i am curious, where does using a hard boiled egg come from?? i’ve never heard of this method.

Michael-Ann January 13, 2009 at 8:34 am

I just finally made these yesterday. They are the best! Fat and tall and dense and yummy. Everyone loved them! So I will be making the oatmeal and double chocolate versions next! Yum And that Barney Butter that I won a while back is so good! We are in the grocery business and I have had my husband up at the office trying to get it on our shelves. Thanks for all the yummy stuff!

Alex February 7, 2009 at 6:36 am

Just made some. I’m never quite sure when to take mine out, but they look great at the moment. Thanks for the recipe- just got to wait for them to cool now =P