Collard Greens Cake

by on October 11, 2008 · 11 comments

Yes, you read that right.  Click Here.

Published on October 11, 2008

Heidi October 11, 2008 at 1:33 pm

hmmm…. I thought of you when I got a brat at Oktoberfest today. They asked me if I wanted sauerkraut, and it reminded me of a cake you mentioned.

Katrina October 11, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Gonna have to saw ewwweeee on that one. I guess if it’s pureed like Jessica Seinfield does with things in her Deceptively Delicious book, it’s probably okay. I couldn’t really fool the real pros with the spinach in the brownies. I just bought some kale and don’t really like the taste. Isn’t collard greens similar? Gonna stick with the regular stuff!

Sarah October 11, 2008 at 3:12 pm

We’ve been pushing it all these years with zucchini breads and cakes. Collard greens? Yuck. No can do.

HeartofGlass October 11, 2008 at 4:40 pm

I’ll admit my first little prissy Yankee reaction was ‘eww.’ But really, ‘we’ (as in we all )eat carrot cake, sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, rhubarb,and other quasi-vegetable desserts, and quiche is sort of like a half cake/half savory option, as are British savory pies. There’s also a ketchup apple pie recipe–still, I won’t be making this collard cake very soon, I’m afraid!

VeggieGirl October 11, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Now THAT’S innovative!

Cathy October 11, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Zucchini cookies and bread are awesome, so I guess collard greens probably go unnoticed….as long as you don’t tell anyone beforehand.

Karen October 11, 2008 at 10:30 pm

I’ve seen European recipes for sweet tarts made with chard and raisins, kinda similar I guess. I must say I won’t be making this one real soon, if ever, even though I like collards.

Candy October 12, 2008 at 5:59 pm

I love collard but don’t think I could try this one. Hats of to the winner though!

Judy December 22, 2008 at 8:21 am

I had this cake last night at church, It was really good,not a collard taste more like Zucchini to me.

Charles McNeil March 7, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I love collard greens, especially at Christmas and New Years, but I had never heard of or thought to put collards in a cake. A friend told me that she had a piece at church and that it was delicious. I am always looking for the unusual, so on Sat. I baked my first Collard Greens Cake. Much to my surprise, it did not have a collard green taste. It was moist and very similar to Carrot Cake.
I think that if you like carrot cake and are bold enough to try the collard greens cake you will like it.

Mary Ann Johnson January 3, 2014 at 11:36 am

I’ve had this and it was delicious. I want the recipe so I can make it. Anyone have it to pass on?