Every Day Food Candy Corn Sugar Cookies

by on October 29, 2008 · 17 comments

Today’s second cookie was something I threw together at the last minute, my excuse being that the cookies would be perfect for Friday’s class Halloween party.

Since the party is not until Friday, I prepared the dough, shaped it into little balls, and baked a few cookies so I’d have something to photograph and review. I’m saving the rest of the dough balls for Thursday night, at which point I will bake them up fresh for Fuzzy’s class.

These cookies are perfect for kid Halloween parties. They’re wee…..just tiny, and when eat one what you really taste is the candy corn with a little bit of sugar cookie around it. You can’t tell just how small the cookies are from my photo or from Every Day Food’s, but when you start scooping up level teaspoons of dough, you’ll see what I mean.

But they bake up beautifully and are as cute as buttons.

Every Day Food Candy Corn Sugar Cookies Recipe

Halloween Sugar Cookies

Published on October 29, 2008

snookydoodle October 29, 2008 at 3:08 pm

how cute !! and look delicious too.

Joanna October 29, 2008 at 3:11 pm

candy corn are my favorite non-chocolate candy!!! i love them. i always gets little cat and bat shaped ones haha these are cute cookies!

Sophia October 29, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Those are amazing!
I just wish I had found out about them sooner. Our Speech and Debate Halloween party was today and those would have been such a hit. Oh well. Next year.

bakingblonde October 29, 2008 at 3:38 pm

MMM bite size treats rock!!

Louise October 29, 2008 at 3:40 pm

Delectable! Fuzzy’s classmates will agree I’m sure.

Katrina October 29, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Cute!
So after you bake the cookie you just stick a candy corn on it and it sticks? I tried that on a brownie and they didn’t stick. Maybe waited too long. If you bake a candy corn, it will melt. You probably knew that though!

Bianca October 29, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Anna! You mentioned saving some of the dough balls for later. How do you do that? Do you freeze your dough? We have a morning bakesale coming up soon and I was looking into how we could do things ahead of time!

Anna October 29, 2008 at 7:19 pm

If you are going to be baking the cookies in the next 2 or 3 days, you can refrigerate the dough. If you are making the dough 4 to 8 days in advance, you should freeze it.

Megan October 29, 2008 at 9:55 pm

I made those cookies one year for Alexander’s class Halloween party, and all the kids picked off the candy corn and threw out the cookies.

It was very depressing!!

Megan October 29, 2008 at 9:56 pm

But on a happy note – the chocolate version is really good!

RecipeGirl October 29, 2008 at 11:49 pm

I thought about making this recipe this year. Instead I went for actual candy corn shaped & colored cookies. Did you see those? They were super cute. Wish I’d have made homemade sugar cookie dough though as they would have been yummier.

Jennifer October 30, 2008 at 8:33 am

The Everyday food link shows 1/2 chocolate cookies and half plain. Do you think they just added some cocoa powder to the chocolate ones? My daughter is going to a Halloween party tomorrow night and these would be a cute treat for her to make and take…
Jennifer

pnutz October 30, 2008 at 9:12 am

I made these same ones from Every Day Food last weekend and made 1/2 vanilla and 1/2 sugar. Jennifer, it says below the EDF recipe the measurements for the chocolate, I think it was 1/4 C and drop the flour by 1/4 C. They were tiny, tsp sized balls and I got about 27 out of each batch but it said 36. I took cookies out 1 min early and put back in oven because they weren’t sticking. And no, the candy corns didn’t melt. The cookies didn’t last long either!

Jennifer October 30, 2008 at 10:50 am

Pnutz,
Thanks for the advice! I think these will look so cute on a tray, esp alternating the light and dark ones. I figure all the candy corn haters out there (crazy peeps) can just pick them off!
Jennifer

Candy October 30, 2008 at 2:40 pm

Perfect little treats!

LilSis October 30, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Hi Anna,
Really cute small cookies! I’m not a great baker, but they seem easy enough and I love candy corn! By the way, today is National Candy Corn Day! I did quite a lengthy post on our blog today about candy corn and I linked to your site with a photo of these cookies! Check it out and let me know what you think. I know BigSis has linked to your site also. We’ve been readers of yours for years!
LilSis

Jennifer October 31, 2008 at 11:54 am

I made these last night, both the chocolate version and the vanilla and they are so cute and really tasty, too. I ended up with slightly more than 36 of each flavor and the cookies were about the size of a quarter.

My chocolate ones seemed to spread less and my vanilla dough was crumblier (connected? IDK, I used the same butter, same methodology and made them side by side, but with such little amounts of butter/egg yolk just an ounce of extra liquid or flour could make a big difference, I’m sure)

I did have a problem with the corn sticking. I ended up “gluing” some of them on with frosting. The other method that worked was pnutz, (but when I put them back in a minute wasn’t long enough to get them to stick and 2 min did make them melt, so I shot for about 1 1/2 min-meaning I baked them about 6 min, took them out, topped with the candy and then popped them back in for another 1 1/2 min)