Happy Birthday Karen! Hyde Park Fudge Cake

Happy Birthday, Karen!  Thanks for all the recipes and comments you’ve shared.  Since you like chocolate, I’ve made you a special cake.

slice of cake

This recipe is based on one from a local bakery called Texas French Bread. They named the cake after their neighborhood, Hyde Park, which is located near the U.T. Campus. It’s a nice area, but I don’t get over there much and am happy TFB was nice enough to share the recipe, which according to the Statesman, is one of Austin’s top 10 dishes.

This cake is very simple. Given the funky 1/3 measurements, I supposed TFB makes these cakes three at a time. The original measurement for the egg is “2 2/3 egg”. I made some other small adjustments as well such as using buttermilk in place of sour milk and using a mixture of coffee and water for the coffee.

The icing came together beautifully and had the perfect texture and sheen. Since I don’t have a double boiler, I used a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water.

Happy Birthday, Karen! I’m sending this cake to work so I guess Todd’s co-workers are celebrating your birthday this morning.

Hyde Park Fudge Cake

Hyde Park Fudge Cake

5 1/3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2/3 cup shortening
2 large eggs plus about 3 tablespoons of a lightly beaten egg
1 1/3 cups water (or use a mixture of coffee & water or all coffee!)
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/3 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour, 13.5 oz
2 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/3 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/3 teaspoons salt

Icing:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons evaporated milk
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 teaspoon butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If using a black Bundt pan, preheat to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a Bundt pan or spray with flour-added Pam (I used the Pam). TFB recommends greasing and dusting with bread crumbs, but I didn’t want to do that.

Melt the chocolate with the shortening – You can do this in a microwave or a double boiler. Let it cool slightly.

Whisk together eggs, water, buttermilk and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
Mix flour, sugar, soda, and salt thoroughly. (If you don’t, the flour will clump in the batter.) Gradually add flour mixture to liquid ingredients, blending on low speed of mixer until just mixed or hand mixing, scraping bowl well. Pour into pan and bake until done, 50-65 minutes. Cool in the pan for about 30 minutes. Turn out on a cake rack and glaze with icing.

Icing: While cake is cooling, heat the sugar in the evaporated milk in the top of a double boiler until the sugar is dissolved. (The mixture will not feel grainy when rubbed between the fingers.) Melt butter and chocolate together. Combine with chocolate mixture. You may add one to two tsp hot water to the icing to enhance the sheen. Pour icing over the cake.

Comments

1. Sue says

Happy Birthday Karen! That cake looks great!! This recipe is going in the “try it” file. I’ve been looking for a really good chocolate bundt cake recipe for a long time. I’ve tried a couple but they’re not quite it. Maybe this is the one.

2. Karen says

Wow! I’m in total shock! What a surprise! Thanks so much, that really made my morning – glad I clicked on cookiemadness so early today to see that! I’m appearing in court today, in one hour, so I’m very stressed out and really should not be surfing the web. I’ll have to make my cake later and let you know how it comes out!
    Thanks so much, Anna!

I’m celebrating Karen’s birthday right now with a small piece of cake.

Sue, I will let you know if this is *the one*. It’s very good and I love the frosting, but I need to eat some more to decide if it’s the best.

Jess, don’t feel bad. The only thing on the list I’ve tried are the french fries from Hyde Park Grill. They’re great, but I prefer the fries at Trio in the Four Seasons. Do you follow Dishola? It’s more up-to-date. I think the things on the list above are personal favorites of the now-retired restaurant reviewer.

I’m glad Karen’s getting a birthday greeting from the REAL Hyde Park. Wow. And another one from Portugal!

I didn’t even know there was a hood named Hyde Park. I’ve not had any of those foods (I know, I know, I demanded Amy’s the next time we are in town)

5. annie says

Anna, how fortuitous I am today, as I was looking for a chocolate cake to bake for my son’s birthday tomorrow.I was wondering if I could substitute the shortening for butter as I do not like shortening, nor do I have any on hand. Thank you for the many recipe ideas I have gleaned from your blog.

6. Sue says

For the sake of experimenting with different recipes and not being deluged with cake, would it work to halve a bundt cake recipe and bake it in a loaf pan?

It’s time for me to go for a walk. The baked item at my house today is apple pie. Totally ridiculous since there are only two people to eat it, but it’s my husband’s all time favorite.

7. Shannon says

This cake looks FANTASTIC! I’d love to make it for work, but don’t currently own a bundt pan…do you think another pan would work? I’d hate to ruin the recipe by poorly chosen…erm…hardware!

8. Karen says

Thanks everybody for the birthday wishes from around the globe! The judges weren’t too brutal today. I got home in time for my brother to take me to lunch at a new Italian restaurant.

To Sue and Shannon – I often cut a bundt cake recipe in half and bake in a loaf pan. Usually in an 8 x 4 rather than 9×5 for a taller loaf, but either way works.

9. Karen says

Postscript: I finally made “my” birthday cake and it came out great, very moist and a nice texture, kinda like gingerbread. I subbed butter for the shortening and just used water, no coffee. We have really enjoyed snacking on it all week long. A great easy cake! Thanks again!

10. Robin says

Hi Anna,

Do you mind if I ask how you were able to get TFB to share the recipe?

I’m an ex-Austinite who still longs for their wild rice salad with walnuts and dried cranberries…

Thanks!

11. Brooke says

I made this cake over the weekend for my family and we all fell in love! So good and moist. My only thing to change for next time, let the iceing settle a bit before putting it on the cake. It was runny and spilled out into the middle. But it was still good!!! Yummy.