Barney Butter Monsters

by on November 29, 2008 · 23 comments

Monster Cookies are (usually) flourless cookies of oats, nuts and chocolate held together by a mixture of eggs, sugar and peanut butter…..a lot of it. Today I tried making Monster Cookies with almond butter — specifically, Barney Butter.

Barney Butter is named after Jennifer Barney, who created it as an alternative to peanut butter. So far, it’s the best almond butter I’ve tried. It’s ultra-smooth, perfectly sweetened, and has a fresh roasted (but not overpowering) almond flavor. In fact. I could see myself eating a whole Barney Butter sandwich, which is something I can’t say for all almond butters. It’s sold in stores located in the western states and Florida, but you can order it on-line from Barney Butter’s website.

But back to the cookies. If you can’t find Barney Butter yet, use a good, lightly sweetened brand of almond butter. The cookies are crispy on the edges, chewy on the inside and overall, taste like a really good and nutty oatmeal chocolate chip (or chunk) cookie. I used bittersweet chocolate chips and toasted pecans, but you could also add M&M’s, unsweetened coconut, or even milk chocolate.

almond butter monster cookies

Barney Butter Monsters

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cups almond butter (I weighed out 6 oz Barney Butter)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking or old fashioned oats
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks of chocolate
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter and both sugars with an electric mixer; Beat in almond butter, salt, egg and vanilla. Beat in baking soda, making sure it’s evenly distributed, then add oats and stir until mixed. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Roll into balls about 2 inches each and place about 3 inches apart on parchment paper lined or lightly greased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly to make mounds.

Bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are browned. Cool 5-8 minutes on cookie sheets; transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Note: If you make your cookies slightly larger, you’ll need to use the higher bake-time.

Makes 18 cookies

Published on November 29, 2008

VeggieGirl November 29, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Divine!!

clumbsycookie November 29, 2008 at 6:14 pm

I don’t know if I’ll take a cookie or lick the spoon… Maybe bouth :)

Katrina November 29, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Yum. Making Doubletrees right now. That spoonful of AB really does look yummy and so smooth. Kath has been eating it lately and it always looks so good,usually with her bowl of oatmeal. Haven’t seen Barney around here, but also haven’t really looked for it. Must.

Mandy November 29, 2008 at 7:43 pm

I’m just staring at those fabulous cookies….my keyboard is wet from drool.:) I will look for Barney Butter, I haven’t seen it around yet.

Rachel B November 29, 2008 at 7:59 pm

Great idea! My husband can’t eat peanuts, so I’ve been looking for a good almond butter cookie.

Anna November 29, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Rita, you can have both.

Katrina & Mandy, I checked the store locator page on the Barney Butter website. Distribution is still fairly limited, but you can order it.

Rachel, if you can find the Barney Butter, you’ll be amazed at how similar it is in texture to commercial peanut butter.

Sue November 29, 2008 at 10:10 pm

These sound wonderful, and can easily be made gluten free!! :-)
When you posted the flourless bars a week or so ago I intended to make those, but then realized that when I bought the almond butter at Trader Joe’s that I accidentally bought unsalted. :-( I haven’t popped the top on it yet in hopes that I’ll be able to exchange it the next time I’m in that neck of the woods.

Erin Mylroie November 29, 2008 at 10:27 pm

Anna:
Im just catching up on all your blog posts that I’ve missed. I missed your top ten post so of course I will now have to work my way through that one. I made the blondies today. I am smitten with that browned butter flavor with the brown sugar and pecans. Thanks again for sharing all your great finds and creations.

Pearl November 30, 2008 at 1:19 am

hi there! what is the difference in taste between peanut butter and almond butter? does almond butter just simply taste more like almonds? cause peanut butter doesn’t actually taste very much like peanuts to me LOL

Lisa Ernst November 30, 2008 at 8:58 am

I’m going to make a “mini batch” just for me of these cookies this week, probably adding some unsweetened coconut along with nuts and chocolate.

Sara November 30, 2008 at 12:11 pm

These cookies look great, I’ve only seen the natural style almond butter in my stores but I’m going to look further!

bakingblonde November 30, 2008 at 2:35 pm

I love almond butter on toast with honey, I can’t wait to bake with it!! YUM

Sharon November 30, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Those look amazing! Really yummy!

Carol A, November 30, 2008 at 8:06 pm

Cookie report: I made them, without pecans and with semi-sweet chocolate chips, and they are delicious. I really like the texture. I might try just a touch more salt and vanilla next time, and maybe a little cinnamon. And I’ll try them with nuts, too.

Your directions don’t say when to add the salt; I put it in with the baking soda.

Barney Butter report: I went out to buy it at Whole Foods based on your post. My jar was not no-stir; it had a good inch of oil on top. I stirred it in, and the texture and taste turned out fine, but I wrote in on the BB website to let them know, since the no-stir is a big selling point.

I got a reply back within 2 1/2 hours, on a Sunday, from Jennifer Barney herself! She said she’s had some trouble with my WF reordering and rotating the shelves. My jar is fine but wouldn’t have the oil issue if it were a bit fresher. She has offered to send me a new jar fresh from the facility, isn’t that nice? I’m going to take her up on it, because it really is delicious and smooth, and I can’t wait to try an even fresher jar.

So, a good day, all in all! Thanks, Anna!

Carol A, November 30, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Oh, sorry! Now I see I missed the salt addition with the almond butter. I was sure I looked for it really diligently, oh my eyes! My bad!

Anna November 30, 2008 at 8:23 pm

Carol, no worries! I *just* now corrected that and thank you so much for catching the typo.
Most of all, thanks for trying the cookies. I’m glad you liked them too.

Jennifer is an incredible person and she has a great product. I am kind of bummed it’s not in Texas because I want to introduce it to my neighbors and friends. As much as I love peanut butter, it’s nice to have something a little different once in a while and almonds are so healthful.

Strange about WF re-ordering and stocking. Guess all stores are different.

Carol A, November 30, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Thanks Anna, I guess my eyes aren’t as bad as I thought, whew!

Sue – I did the same thing recently at Trader Joes, and when I went back I found no salted almond butter on the shelf at all, and no tag for it either! They checked for me and said it’s no longer on their order list. You know TJs, it may end up there again, but if yours is like mine, you may not find it when you go back. I was bummed, the unsalted really doesn’t do it for me. Adding my own salt didn’t work, either.

Nick November 30, 2008 at 9:36 pm

I never knew that’s what Monster Cookies were. I haven’t received my Barney Butter in the mail yet but I’ll be trying these with peanut butter for sure, what an incredible recipe. Do you think that using ultra creamy (Trader Joe’s) natural peanut butter would be too runny for this recipe?

Makena's Nana December 1, 2008 at 12:50 pm

If I can’t find Barney Butter can I use regular almond butter. Does the Barney Butter come sweetened with sugar and is it unsalted? If so how should I adjust the recipe. I live in Southern California and haven’t seen Barney Butter

Anna December 1, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Answers to Question

Pearl — The flavor is like roasted almonds.

Nick — I replied via email, but short answer is yes. Since you are new to Monsters, you might also consider the KA recipes.

Makena’s Nana — It depends on what brand of almond butter. MaraNatha’s is fairly sweet (has added cane sugar)so I’d say a brand such as Maranatha or another sweetened brand would work. I don’t recommend using fresh almond butter like the kind you make yourself or grind fresh at the store. It probably wouldn’t be sweet enough. Then again, you could always add more sugar.

But to be safe I’d say go with an alternative brand that is very smooth and has a little cane sugar added in.

Karen December 1, 2008 at 8:44 pm

I ordered some today, and it shipped out the same day! I can’t wait to try it. I bought two jars so are there any other recipes you have tried it in?

Tina December 2, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Omg, I NEED to make these! I’m obsessed with BB!

julie December 4, 2008 at 10:11 am

I need to find BB…I’m in Florida. I love nut butters, but so many brands are unsalted, unsweetened, and it’s kind of like they’re squandering their resources if they refuse to make the stuff taste good!