Brownies from Baked

According to the authors of my newest cookbook, Baked: New Frontiers in Baking, this is Oprah’s favorite brownie. Naturally, I had to give it a try.

brownies

Nothing on the ingredient list seemed out of the ordinary, but “Baked” is meticulous in their technique, so rather than adapt the recipe or make changes, I’m linking to someone who posted it almost verbatim on the Internet. The version I’m linking to includes cardamom, cinnamon and chipotle. Remove those spices and you will have the same recipe that’s in the book.

And how is it? Out-freaking-standing! These are very good brownies and definitely go in the “in between” category. They’re not too fudgy, not too cakey.

Some notes:

— I personally would not use a glass pan the first time.
— Try to use something with above 60% cacao
— Don’t over or underbake
— Follow directions carefully
— If you make a half batch, do it in an 8 inch metal pan and bake for 27 minutes. But don’t go just by bake times. Use the toothpick test and take the brownies out when moist crumbs appear on the pick/wooden skewer.

Comments

1. Dana says

I made the spicy version of these a few weeks ago, and I have to agree-they are incredible! I really need to break down and buy this book…

Wow, I have been wanting to try another brownie recipe. I haven’t made them forever. They sound so good right now with some peppermint chips thrown in!

“Out-freaking-standing!” I love this and coming from someone with your talent this is an outstanding recommendation. I’ve got to try this.

I guess my only minor complaint is that these brownies aren’t very attractive. The top isn’t shiny and they crumble a lot.

5. Digigirl says

I’ve been looking for a great brownie recipe forever! Definitely need to give these a try. I’m with you though, I love those shiny, crinkly tops. I wonder if we can somehow add that to these without messing them up?

6. Meredith says

I actually made the Nesquik brownies from your site this a.m. ’cause they were so quick (I mean ‘quik’) –started putting them together at 8:15 a.m., and was able to leave the house for work by 9:00 a.m. They definitely have the “shiny” top; I haven’t tried yet, as they’re still chilling in the fridge, but I’m sure that they’re not “out-freaking-standing”. I’ll try these later this week…….but how do they compare in your book to the America’s Test Kitchen, which you listed as one of the best you think you’ve ever made?

Eva, I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for thel link! The “Baked” brownies are absolutely amazing, but I had a hard time photographing them because they just looked so plain. Plus, I’m a sucker for a shiny top. I guess I’ve have to try the two side by side.

Also, in doing a side by side experiment we would have to use the same kind of chocolate. I used Scharffen Berger the last time I made the ATK brownies and Ghirardelli for these Baked brownies.

8. Karen says

I made a half batch as directed in an 8 inch pan, baked for 27 minutes. I used Green & Black’s 70% dark chocolate. I left out the spices. I thought these were a bit salty, but I loved the texture, I guess I am a fan of the in-between brownie.

9. Fallon says

Finally today was the day I made the Baked Brownie. I didn’t add the extra spices, and like the above post bit salty. The expresso and chocolate go well together. I didn’t feel like I cooked them enough and decided to throw them back in for 10 more minutes. The middle was very fudgy, uncooked.

The only thing I have a problem with is I got 12 servings out of the batch. The recipe calls for 24 brownies.. yet they would be very tiny if that was the case. Everyone else that has made a Baked Brownie looks like their servings are bigger. I did exactly what the recipe called for. Did you have 24 servings?