Experimental Cookie (Like Carol’s)

Hey, it’s the weekend so I’m posting an experiment. It’s a chocolate chip cookie made with a technique I made up – or at least as it applies to cookies. Okay, so a million people may be doing the technique already, but if they are I didn’t know it. It just seemed like a good idea, so I gave it a try and got some interesting results.

What I did was make a basic chocolate chip cookie, but instead of using the usual mixing technique, I cooked the flour and the butter together and made a roux of sorts…..a thick, crumbly not-really-a-roux, but I’m calling it that because making it reminded me of making a roux.

After I made the faux roux, I let it cool completely, put it in the processor, then pulsed in the remaining cookie ingredients. I shaped it into a big ball, put it on a baking sheet, baked it for 18 minutes and came up with this cookie. It’s dry on the outside, but crumbly and soft on the inside.

If you’d like to try it, here’s the recipe. The only problem is, it doesn’t work very well as smaller cookies. The smaller cookies spread more and had a different consistency in the center even when I adjusted the bake time. So I am sorry to say, this recipe makes 1 giant cookie.

You can double the recipe and make two cookies, or perhaps you can quadruple the recipe and make 4, but for the first round, I recommend making one gigantic cookie. Also, if you happen to hate the cookie, you will not have wasted ingredients.

So here goes.

Experimental Cookie Recipe

2 ounces unsalted butter, European style (e.g. Plugra)
3.1 oz all purpose flour (weigh the flour or carefully measure 2/3 cup plus a tsp.)
1/4 scant teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon beaten egg
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
Small handful of chocolate chips – milk chocolate actually taste great here

European style butter works best, but if you don’t have any, you can use regular. Most important tip is to let the cookie cool completely. These aren’t very good served warm. They need to go through the whole cooking and cooling process. And, so you know what to expect going into this, these aren’t chewy.

So start by making the roux. To do this, melt the European style butter in a saucepan set over medium heat. Slowly stir in the flour and stir the flour around in the butter, coating it well, for about 3 minutes. You should end up with a thick, dry, doughy, looking mixture. It will be thicker than a typical roux. Set it aside to cool. At this point, I like to just dump it in the processor bowl and let it cool there.

Add the salt and baking soda to the flour mixture and pulse to mix. Add both sugars. Pulse to mix. Add in the egg and vanilla then pulse until moist. Dump crumbs into a bowl. If mixture is still warm, let it cool before adding the chocolate chips. Mixture should look like a bowl of crumbs, but it will hold together when you form it.

Add the chocolate chips. Use your hands to mold the crumb/chip mixture into a big fat 8 oz ball.

Set the big ball on an insulated cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 18-20 minutes. You can bake it as few as 18 minutes (for a softer inside) or up to 21. It won’t brown much at all. In fact, it won’t look very tasty. Let the cookie cool on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes. Transfer it to a rack to cool for another 20 minutes or so, then put it in the refrigerator to hasten the process. Waiting is the hardest part. Remove from the refrigerator and let sit at room temp for a while. Now cut into it with a knife and serve it in little wedges.

Makes 1 giant cookie

Comments

1. Karen says

Wow! How experimental! I pretty sure I’ve never seen this technique, looks interesting. Somebody not too long ago blogged about toasting the flour before putting it in cookies, I don’t remember which blog. I don’t think the results were all that great.

This is my kinda cookie! Now we’re talkin. I love giant, dense cookies like these. They make me think of the lovely Levain. This looks more like a knife and fork cookie than a hand cookie, and I’ve never described a cookie that way haha

Since this is one giant cookie with a faux roux twist, may I suggest a (very corny) name for it, as well as how to present it to someone?

1) Call it a Faux Roux Cookie.
    2) Put it on a dessert plate.
    3) Say to the recipient as you hand him the cookie, “This is a Faux Roux Just Fo’ You.”

Okay, maybe not.

Emiline, I don’t know how late you stay up after work, but if you make it, don’t forget to let it cool.

Lisa, I think it is kind of like shortbread. The texture changes depending on how long your bake it. If you underbake it a little, it’s not quite as dry and crumbly. More bake time and it’s like shortbread.

Karen, I tried browning the flour. The browned flour smelled bad. I think the butter keeps the flour from burning.

Zoanna, I am so glad someone else appreciated the term “faux roux”.

5. Jenn's Baking Chamber says

I think your awesome for trying to create a new cookie! props to you! it looks great

6. Kathy says

Hi Anna,

I won’t have time to test this out for awhile, but I was thinking:

What if you whipped up an amout of faux roux and, instead of using it as you did, as the dough of the cookie, use it as an add-in. I.e. treat it as you would, say, oatmeal, or corn flakes. (We all really liked the corn flake chocolate chip cookies from your site!)

Just a thought!

I enjoy looking at your site!

Kathy

I love how you’re always trying something new- I never would have thought of starting a cookie with a roux- and I’m from New Orleans so we start almost everything with a roux!

8. hejin says

I’m just curious to know about your experimental process: do you end up with many failed cookies? If you ever experiment again, do detail your trial and error process! I’m sure it’ll be as informative as it’ll be fascinating :)

I think things over quite a bit before I execute them, but I still have lots of failures. For instance, I tried toasting the flour without butter. The toasted flour tasted horrible so I threw away the flour without using it.

To save money, I test my experiments in really small batches. If they seem to work, then I scale them back up.

Thanks for the suggestion of detailing my trial and error process. I’ll do that!

I like the term “faux roux”– fun to say and fun to write! Ya know, it looks like one nice, tasty scone…maybe a little sweeter though.

11. Leslie says

The first time I tried this, my cookie fell apart. But those were the BEST cookie crumbs I’ve tasted, so I tried it again. The cookie stayed whole this time (not for very long, mind you…that baby was eaten up in no time). Very good idea. :)
    I love this website, by the way.

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for trying it! I wonder why the first one fell apart. Do you think you might have used a little too much flour? A little less egg? Glad the second one held together :).

13. Leslie says

I think I didn’t let it sit and cool long enough. I was too eager to taste it. :D
    But it might’ve been too much flour as well, because the butter mixture (or the faux roux) was awfully crumbly the first time.
    But atleast I got the second one. :)

14. ashleynicole says

I made this today. I did 4 cookies instead of just 1 or 2. I didnt change a thing as far as ingredients or instructions except that I added a small handful of butterscotch chips. I didnt think it would turn out well, but I was just curious. Suprisingly the cookies look beautiful and taste amazing. My whole family loved this recipe. Its the only one Im going to want to use for a while now. Thanks Anna
    I posted the photo on the above link (my allrecipes profile)

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for the feedback! I’m glad it worked out well for you. These cookies are definitely different than the usual chocolate chip.

16. Michelle says

Just made this recipe and it was DELICIOUS!! I thought it tasted identical to Carol’s Cookie! Nice work Anna.

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for trying the experimental cookie. The place where I was buying my Carol’s Cookies stopped selling them and I’ve gotten over my obsession. But I do remember making this one, doing a side by side taste test and thinking the cookies tasted identical. I’m glad the recipe worked for you too.

18. nancy says

We didn’t think much of this cookie when it came out of the oven (our’s spread more than we’d hoped) BUT true to Anna’s word, we thought it tasted just like a Carol’s Cookie, too. There’s something you’ve captured, Anna, about the grittiness of the sugar. It’s just right-on. Mmmmmm. I really wish we could make smaller cookies. Has anyone tried making these into bar cookies?

19. cccobsessed says

I have made this cookie atleast 6 times now & have even 4x the batch to freeze baked cookies. A few modifications to help with the Carol Cookie “appearance” but all trials have been tasty. Definitely use european butter & check the grainy/sugary texture before adding the liquids.I wrapped in plastic and fooled my family members who appreciate a good Carol Cookie! I am working/dreaming about a chocolate/caramel version….

20. Ed says

I was looking for a way to make Carol’s cookies and I stumbled upon your recipe in a discussion thread. I tried it and it turned out great. I never would have thought about the faux roux method. I tried baking halfway in muffin tins and then letting cool and finish the baking on a sheet and they turned out OK but it was a lot of work… Thanks for the recipe and technique.

Ed, thanks so much for trying it!! I haven’t gotten a lot of feedback on this cookie and I suspect it’s because so many people haven’t tried Carol’s. So thanks for taking the time to let me know it worked for you. That’s great.

22. Deni says

Okay, I LOVE Carols Cookies, and I am so sad that I can’t get them all the time (they don’t sell them in my state)- the smallest cookie tin comes to $45 to have it shipped (yikes), so I have been searching the internet for any recipe that can give me a Carols Cookie, and I just want to say…..THANK YOU!!!! This is the ONLY copycat recipe I have found that actually tastes like Carols! I can’t believe it! I am sooooooo happy!! I actually made mine with Bread Flour, and I seriously think it is exactly like Carols- have you tried using Bread Flour? It gives it like a shortbread cookie like texture, but still really chewy inside. Also I used Milk Choc. chips, but they were a little sweet, so next time I am going to use Semi-Sweet (that is what Carols Cookie uses). Also, I let the dough sit in the fridge 24 hours before baking, then after baking and cooling on the counter, placed it in the freezer for another day. Once I was ready to eat it, I thawed it on the counter for 2 hours, then heated it in my toaster oven at 150 until it was warm. And not sure if the aging process makes it taste better, (because I didn’t try it before freezing it), but this is delicious warm. This seems like a lot of work, but when I get the frozen Carols delivered, it is the same process-I heat up my Carols Cookies in the toaster oven after thawing from freezer.

Hi Deni, thanks for being brave and trying my experiment.

And yes, I’ve used bread flour. Both types of flour work. I think the bread flour might work a little better. All your tips are great, so thanks for sharing.

Now I just wish I could find the real thing here in Austin. I just saw them at a Chicago Whole Foods, but I haven’t seen them in any Austin stores in the past couple of years.